10 replies to this topic

#1 jazza

jazza

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 12 February 2015 - 09:28 PM

Hi guys....Really enjoying the game and looking forward to course forge when it becomes available. 

I've recently downloaded unity and been slowly getting use to how to use it and would like to get started creating my own course.

This may have been asked before and please forgive me if it has but I've got my first course drawn out on a A4 sheet of paper and would like to set it down in Photoshop. Could anyone give me a step by step guide as how to do this? Am I right in thinking that once it's done in Photoshop it can then be imported into unity? Then after that all I would need to do is build the terrain and add the textures then wait for course forge to do the fine tuning? Is this right or is the procedure a bit more complicated than this? 

Any help on this would be really appreciated as I can't wait to get things moving regarding creating my own course.

Thanks in advance.

#2 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 12 February 2015 - 10:11 PM

I used a 1024 x1024 .jpg to layout a basic design to practice with.

Leave some room on the edges, as you may want

to add cliffs or hills in these areas.

Importing to Unity will depend on your

terrain resolution settings as well as width and length

My course size is set at 1800 x 1800 meters. (all numbers in unity are meters)

Attached Files

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#3 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 03:33 PM

Couple of different ways to read this initial Q....

You could use a Heightmap from within PS to then import and create Terrain within Unity.

or

You can overlay an image within Unity and work around that..

#4 jazza

jazza

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 13 February 2015 - 05:53 PM

I used a 1024 x1024 .jpg to layout a basic design to practice with.

Leave some room on the edges, as you may want

to add cliffs or hills in these areas.

Importing to Unity will depend on your

terrain resolution settings as well as width and length

My course size is set at 1800 x 1800 meters. (all numbers in unity are meters)

Thanks NoPutt.... As a complete beginner in the use of Photoshop & Unity I'm a little lost in actually getting started with course creation but like yourself I'm very excited and eager to learn all that there is to know (hopefully). It's going to take a little time but looking forward to the journey. It's comforting to know there are many knowledgeable guys on this forum who have created some wonderful work already with Unity and Course Forge and they are only to happy to help us novices out. 

Thanks again.

#5 jazza

jazza

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 13 February 2015 - 05:55 PM

Thanks Ian...I'll have a look at this and see if I can get things started.

#6 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 06:36 PM

jazza

You do not necessarily need Photoshop, any graphics editing apps will do. You can even draw a layout by hand, scan your drawing and import it it on a terrain. As long as it's a jpg file, anything goes.

The terrain always has to be a perfect square, as wide as it is long - an Unity thing.

I would strongly recommend that you start with a vision: A general idea what type of golf course you want to create. Just dream up something and use this vision as a base for everything that will follow. Here's for example one layout I made, for a suburban public course somewhere in the boondocks of the US midwest, including a rail track on which long freight trains are slowly moving past. (Yes, a bit ambitious, I know...)

Project Title is "Mulligan Municipal" - This project actually began with the name. I thought of this name without any particular reason, and it grew into a golf course idea with time...

LmFP1fQ.jpg

You can always change or adjust everything later - course design being a tentative and evolving thing, you probably will do just that anyway. But from the start you need a good preparation and a clear idea what to do and where to go with it. Learning Unity and CF will go faster if you give yourself a direction in which to move.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#7 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 06:49 PM

Man... don't you dare create that Course K11 lol.... not without some input regarding how I'd request you do so!

Animations will soon be heading into Courses without a doubt... and that train line is something I see becoming a real horizon catcher. How i'd like to suggest you do so, isn't in the realms of today though... a more of yesteryear type would be a better approach.  Especially with a Farm and possible Development site to include. Golf isn't always a here and now thing.. granted it didn't begin in a galaxy far far away... but history deserves some testament too...

#8 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 07:05 PM

Funny, I had a vague notion of a mood for Mulligan M. that was a little bit like Christina's World... Or a scenery like from an old James Dean movie, America in the 50's, bit of a dustbowl flair..

wyeth.jpg

Maybe even an old, ramshackle Western Town? Don't worry, Ian, I'm not about to go there. It's one of a dozen or so sketches I keep toying with. You can have it if you want.

But if I DO take it on, I shall be deaf to back seat designers pelting me with advice. Because then I will be in the drivers' seat.

Whatever of the following two will be missing by the time I will decide on my next adventure will probably be my next project after the Black Swan.

• Either a tropical course, but not a Hawaiian resort course - Thinking of creating a better version of the TW course Predator
  • or a desert/canyon course like Bighorn (only a lot more arid and altogether grander)

Apologies for going off topic - Ian's aside was merely indulged by me to drive home my main point:

Start. With. A. Vision!

• IanD likes this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#9 Joe Habiger

Joe Habiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • LocationCoon Rapids, MN

Posted 13 February 2015 - 07:05 PM

I already have (6) Lidar to Raw courses in Unity so far but not sure how far I can go with them before I have to use Course Forge but I often though about trying my hand at one of my own again and this does look like an interesting idea since you only need a jpg to bring it into Unity and start throwing elevations in and such.

Maybe i'll start another thread later tonight showing a bit of what I am doing and how far I can actually go with these. I have about 30 lidar courses so far on my computer that I can import. I imported them all perfectly last night thanks to someone in another thread saying one can use a bit of blur in photoshop to get rid of the little steps in elevation I get when importing. Not sure how I am exporting these wrong in global mapper but that fix worked great.

• AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
  • Sapphire Nitro+ SE AMD Radeon 6800XT
  • G.Skill Trident Z Royal RGB 16GB DDR4-3600
  • Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen 4 PCIe M.2
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD M.2 NVMe
  • Samsung 850 EVO 512GB SSD
  • Sound Blaster ZX Soundcard
  • EVGA 750 Gold Power Supply
  • Fractal Design Meshify S2 Case
  • Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R
  • "43 inch Vizio 4k Monitor

#10 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 13 February 2015 - 07:09 PM

Nice layout, but be warned; fowl, eggs, and golf balls do not go together,

I can see the feathers flying now. Please tell me you remember Jed Clampett

bringing home those Golf Eggs for Granny to cook.

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#11 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 13 February 2015 - 07:11 PM

Love Andrew Wyeth

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users