#1 TheLighterDark

TheLighterDark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationFayetteville, AR

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:40 PM

Will we be given buildings to use (clubhouses, snack bars, bathrooms, etc.) in Course Forge, or will it be up to us to make them ourselves and import them into Unity? 

TheLighterDark / "William" / University of Arkansas, Fayetteville / 21

Toshiba Satellite S855 / Windows 8 64-bit / Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz / 8.00 GB RAM

n2o7ldH.png

"All the world on one arrow..." - Ashe, The Frost Archer, League of Legends.

#2 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:05 PM

When PP first got started last year, Joe Harford released some pics of work he had done on 3D tee markers. He then later posted pictures of houses/buildings that he had created which could appear on the outskirts of courses, which would be useful for UK links style courses and the US style resort courses.

He then released pics of the golfer animation he was working on. You can see all of these in the 'News' section of the site, as they have brought all the old dev blogs across on to this new site.

Unfortunately since last year, we have had no further updates on anything that Joe may have been working on, either from Joe himself or any of other guys from PP, so hopefully we will get a response to your question from someone at PP as to where things are regards 3D objects within the game.

;)

#3 TheLighterDark

TheLighterDark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:40 PM

Thank you for the reply, Daz. The idea came to me after watching the video which was released today. After importing all the data into Unity and waiting for it all to process, everything looks great, but obviously the trees, houses, structures, etc. are flat on the ground. I was just wondering if buildings would be available because having them at our disposal from the get-go would be a huge time reduction in creating courses that still feel as true as their real-life counterparts. 

Toshiba Satellite S855 / Windows 8 64-bit / Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz / 8.00 GB RAM

n2o7ldH.png

#4 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:48 AM

There probably will be a smallish selection of standard structures coming with the Forge. For anything special, specific or unique, I'd expect that you will have to do the work yourself.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#5 TimBoch

TimBoch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationFarmington, MN

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:22 PM

I made all my clubhouses and other course specific structures from terrain in APCD.  On Hazeltine, I also made some of the more visible houses from terrain.  Otherwise, I lazily used the standard APCD structures.  Not sure how this will work in CF.  The houses in the posting months ago were really cool, but from tinkering with Unity, I haven't learned enough to make structures yet. Still need to learn more from the tutorials and hopefully, we will have more specifically about what we can do to make our courses.  MJ made laying out that hole and elevating look very easy. My use of Unity, is not even close, yet.  I am thinking that CF adds a lot of functionality to Unity we haven't seen yet.

Course Forge Courses in various stages of design: Dwan Golf Club, Hyland Greens, Faribault CC, Desert Valley CC/ Woodland Trail(fictional), Infamous Golf Course (fantasy)
Links 2003 Designs: Dwan Golf Club, Infamous Golf Course, Hazeltine National Golf Club (assistant designer), Woodland Trail/Desert Valley CC , Faribault CC (beta), Hyland Greens (beta), Double Eagle (beta), King's Walk (beta), Interlachen CC (still in planning)
Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.5GHz
  • Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit
  • 16GB DDR3L RAM
  • 750GB 7,200RPM Hard Drive
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M

#6 garynorman

garynorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationBedfordshire, England

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:19 PM

I've started to build a basic clubhouse in Blender (see pic)...

I'm learning as I go along, but hopefully it'll look ok when its done!!

• TimBoch likes this

#7 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:24 PM

On Hazeltine, I also made some of the more visible houses from terrain.  Otherwise, I lazily used the standard APCD structures.  Not sure how this will work in CF.  The houses in the posting months ago were really cool, but from tinkering with Unity, I haven't learned enough to make structures yet. 

My own, admittedly modest tinkering with Unity has led me to the conclusion, that buildings and structures will come from 4 possible sources:

• From PerfectParallel via the CourseForge, a small library of buildings that may grow larger with time and become available as DLC.

• From construction within Unity. Possible to elevate a terrain to form rudimentary houses and then slap textures on, but cumbersome.

• From the Unity Asset Store, either as free downloads or for-sale packages from other Unity members 

• Or as customized mesh objects made by the course designer with 3rd party apps like Blender or, in my case, ac3d for Mac. Gonna build me a lighthouse one daa, oh yes...

For what it's worth, I'm not a great fan of housings near a golf course, except for a clubhouse. The clubhouse of Mulranny GC, a nine-hole course in NW Ireland, is a rusty old caravan, btw. So cool! But I don't need any other dwellings in sight, perhaps a lighthouse, yes, but no additional abodes. Clashes with my "pristine nature" obsession vis-a-vis golf in general. But that's just me.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

<<<<<

#8 Forestman

Forestman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:22 PM

What software can we use to start modeling structures?

Please support PERFECT GOLF on STEAM --CLICK ON THE LINK TO SUPPORT: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=116796801&searchtext=golf

#9 TimBoch

TimBoch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationFarmington, MN

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:35 PM

Well I decided to fire up 3DsMax again. Made a basic structure and also a water tower.  Seeing that you can save them as .fbx files, they easily import into Unity.  It is nice not having to convert them as we had to in APCD before importing them.  The textures however do not show, though they might be there.  I always found 3D fun to play with.  Now to improve what they look like.

[attachment=29:Custom 3D import.jpg]

Course Forge Courses in various stages of design: Dwan Golf Club, Hyland Greens, Faribault CC, Desert Valley CC/ Woodland Trail(fictional), Infamous Golf Course (fantasy)
Links 2003 Designs: Dwan Golf Club, Infamous Golf Course, Hazeltine National Golf Club (assistant designer), Woodland Trail/Desert Valley CC , Faribault CC (beta), Hyland Greens (beta), Double Eagle (beta), King's Walk (beta), Interlachen CC (still in planning)
  • 16GB DDR3L RAM

#10 Forestman

Forestman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:37 PM

Well I decided to fire up 3DsMax again. Made a basic structure and also a water tower.  Seeing that you can save them as .fbx files, they easily import into Unity.  It is nice not having to convert them as we had to in APCD before importing them.  The textures however do not show, though they might be there.  I always found 3D fun to play with.  Now to improve what they look like.

attachicon.gifCustom 3D import.jpg

How much is 3DsMAx?  I'd love to start getting my hands dirty.

Please support PERFECT GOLF on STEAM --CLICK ON THE LINK TO SUPPORT: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=116796801&searchtext=golf

#11 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:39 PM

@ Forestman... What software can we use to start modeling structures?

Andrew: Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:01 AM

Anything capable of exporting FBX files can be used with unity. 

There are many apps, from freeware to high-end, which support FBX formats. You need to find one that suits your skill level. If you do not have a skill level yet, you need to get one. Start with a freeware, watch tutorials, apply loads of patience and a bit of trial and error...

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#12 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:49 PM

I don't make structures but here is a link to a free gmax tool, I don't know anything about it accept I got it from coursedownloads.com which I belong to and I know some folks who have used it to make structures for the TW's series.. There is also a tutorial for anyone interested, at the site..

LInk:  http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax

I am not affiliated with this gmax site and take no responsibilty for it, although a while back I did try my hand at it...

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#13 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:12 PM

How much is 3DsMAx?  I'd love to start getting my hands dirty.

Autodesk 3DS Max 2014

Priced from £3,200.00 as per their website - http://store.autodesk.co.uk/store/adsk/en_GB/pd/ThemeID.25705700/productID.269713600

Here's a few 'free' ones you could consider (not sure of compatibility with Unity though) http://tjfree.com/best-free-3d-modeling-software/

#14 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:54 PM

If you gents take a gander at this link from the Unity website, it might answer a few of your questions. Including TimBoch's texture problem... Turns out Unity can deal with more than fbx formatted meshes, according to this...maybe the CourseForge can't, but I don't know why that should be and it would not make sense.

I will try to import a Lightwave obj tomorrow. It's getting late for today and I have to play my last ever round of TWO before it dies tomorrow.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#15 TimBoch

TimBoch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationFarmington, MN

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:44 AM

Downloaded Blender and gave it a try too.  I haven't learned how to apply textures yet or import into Unity. But this is what I made while learning so far.

[attachment=30:Blender test.jpg]

Clubhouse in Unity in blushing black and white.

[attachment=31:Clubhouse Unity.jpg]

• garynorman likes this
  • 16GB DDR3L RAM

#16 TheLighterDark

TheLighterDark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:58 AM

Downloaded Blender and gave it a try too.  I haven't learned how to apply textures yet or import into Unity. But this is what I made while learning so far.

attachicon.gifBlender test.jpg

That's a fantastic start. Looking forward to more of your work. 

n2o7ldH.png

#17 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:09 PM

"If you build it, they will come..."

[attachment=56:ClubhouseA.jpg]

"If you post it, will they hurry?"

[attachment=57:ClubhouseB.jpg]

"Guest Players, please pay your Green Fees in the Pro Shop."

"Delivery Persons (a tad tardy) for the CourseForge, kindly report to the Club Secretary's Office on the 1st Floor."

[attachment=58:ClubhouseC.jpg]

• garynorman likes this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#18 Forestman

Forestman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:15 PM

Autodesk 3DS Max 2014

Priced from £3,200.00 as per their website - http://store.autodesk.co.uk/store/adsk/en_GB/pd/ThemeID.25705700/productID.269713600

Here's a few 'free' ones you could consider (not sure of compatibility with Unity though) http://tjfree.com/best-free-3d-modeling-software/

I have some experience with SketchUp.  What file format is used to import objects?

#19 Keith

Keith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:30 PM

"If you build it, they will come..."

attachicon.gifClubhouseA.jpg

"If you post it, will they hurry?"

attachicon.gifClubhouseB.jpg

"Guest Players, please pay your Green Fees in the Pro Shop."

"Delivery Persons (a tad tardy) for the CourseForge, kindly report to the Club Secretary's Office on the 1st Floor."

attachicon.gifClubhouseC.jpg

Looks very good.  You guys are way ahead of me with Unity, etc.  I am doing better, but it can be a frustrating beast. 

#20 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:45 PM

I have some experience with SketchUp.  What file format is used to import objects?

Andrew's reply from another thread on the topic of 3D buildings...........

Anything capable of exporting FBX files can be used with unity.

;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users