#21 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 06 October 2013 - 05:07 PM

No, it was not just green speeds, but the green and fairway speeds are encoded differently to other textures in Links, so you have to select them in the game option. This is why I mentioned greens. A few designers in Links have used the process to customise various other textures but these do not need to be selected.

I'm just trying to make the point that as a whole, the Links community has ignored this opportunity for more realistic and varied courses with complaints about inconsistency or with indifference. Most designers have found the process too complicated or too much effort to attempt, and there has been no encouragement from the community for this to become the norm and I for one just can't be bothered with it. I'm very much afraid that the same thing will happen if it is implemented in CourseForge. I obviously personally liked the idea of tailored conditions for certain courses or I wouldn't have added them to my own course, but the demand for it just isn't there judging by the negative feedback in the past or the complete lack of interest in it by the community.  :unsure: 

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#22 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:54 PM

Well.. there is 2 of us here, so the demand in my eyes just doubled lol..

#23 Andrew

Andrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:31 PM

Part of the challenge in Links was that the methodology to change physics properties was very complicated and in the wrong hands could lead to some very unrealistic results.  When you think of most of the desired results from changing texture physics properties most of them fall into a few different situations.  

1) Different gradients of rough.  This can be acheived by provided texture property sets for multiple different grades of rough from first cut to rough to deep rough to heavy rough to " oh my god where is my ball"  By giving people say 4 or 5 different texture property sets for rough that they can apply to a specific mesh people can create what they want without resorting to "fiddling" with the texture properties.

2) Creating Firm and Fast Open style conditions.  A simple slider in the game menu allowing the user to select how they want to play the course that affect the way the ball behaves through the green will allow for almost any style of golf to be played, while retaining the overall syncronicity of the ball physics.  This should be independent of the green stimpmeter setting so you can play firm and fast without having greens running 14 on the stimpmeter

• Acrilix likes this

#24 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 07 October 2013 - 04:01 PM

Part of the challenge in Links was that the methodology to change physics properties was very complicated and in the wrong hands could lead to some very unrealistic results.  When you think of most of the desired results from changing texture physics properties most of them fall into a few different situations.  

1) Different gradients of rough.  This can be acheived by provided texture property sets for multiple different grades of rough from first cut to rough to deep rough to heavy rough to " oh my god where is my ball"  By giving people say 4 or 5 different texture property sets for rough that they can apply to a specific mesh people can create what they want without resorting to "fiddling" with the texture properties.

2) Creating Firm and Fast Open style conditions.  A simple slider in the game menu allowing the user to select how they want to play the course that affect the way the ball behaves through the green will allow for almost any style of golf to be played, while retaining the overall syncronicity of the ball physics.  This should be independent of the green stimpmeter setting so you can play firm and fast without having greens running 14 on the stimpmeter

I am in total agreement with this post, and as usual, just hope the vision can be translated into something we can ALL enjoy.  B)

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#25 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:46 PM

Thanks Andrew, and appreciate the reply as always. Part of the discussion, is mostly from our side regarding the 'unknown'. We have little to go on, and hence many thoughts will generate various suggestions that you've likely already considered and implemented. However, there remains a few that are still 'out there' obviously. I appreciate you can't lay your cards for everyone to see, it's simply a hopeful inclusion of things we (or is it simply I lol) seek to become optional. Even if that option isn't in the here and now, could there become a possability it maybe something patched later (or improved....hate the patch terminology).

Most discussions surrounding this (and Ball physics), appear to relate to greens. This isn't what I'm seeking at all, although it's a place to start if better understood.

A simply slider... excellent. Sliders (without basic increments) are a great inclusion. It allows more 'feel', rather than simply determining 'firm'. What you've described though is the fastest speed the ball will have contact with, regarding a texture. So... is it possible to introduce a different texture to the green property and use it as a fairway? Unlikely.. due to the nature of how the Golfer will interact with the surface and defaul club selection etc etc.

We've not spoken about fairways.. which is where the crux of most of my determined approach was for. You have outlined the 4 or 5 texture property sets for the rough, so I'd be extremely interested to hear of what similar sets will be available regarding other texture properties.

Fairways

These can include several types, but it does focus upon grasses, in either the cut or the style. Bermuda, Rye, Bent etc..  each of these will certainly impact upon how the ball will react when rolling.  Are there considerations being made for these or similar ?

Or are we simply defining things in 'other' design terms regarding first cut/fringe etc..?

You may have also read some of the posts regarding the degree of variation within the texture properties too. Introducing them perhaps not to the extent it would cause complications to gameplay, but allowing them to create a different 'feel' of the course during that particular round. If the physics were allowed (by Design in the CourseForge) a variance of x % maximum, to ensure no gameplay impact then we may see an ever so slight introduction of realism (others call it randomness or luck lol) in our game of golf.

Is this a possability?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users