#1 Keith

Keith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 25 February 2015 - 03:07 AM

Any Unity experts out there think it is possible to create trees with hanging moss?  When we have CF and TF at our disposal I was going to give some local courses a go.  Most of the trees down here are draped in Spanish moss.  Would really help the feeling of authenticity to have that type of tree in the virtual environment.  I have goofed around with the tree creator some, but currently see no way that 2nd layer can be added.  Is it doable or just wishful thinking on my part?

#2 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 11:19 AM

Definitely easier to do as a mesh tree rather than in tree creator. Unlike leaves, the moss touches the branch at more than a single point which is going to be very awkward to line up and not see gaps.

But if I was to try in tree creator, I'd have the main trunk, then two branch nodes . One branch node would represent the branches you'd want the moss and leaves on, the other just leaves. Then to the moss branch add a two leaf nodes. One leave node change the mesh type to 'cross' or 'billboard', set the frequency very low and hand move/rotate each moss mesh so they hang straight down. Apply a moss  texture with alpha map to the moss meshes.

The would look funny blowing in the wind though, as tree creator hasn't got a 'tumble' which allows leaves to pivot where they're attached.  I'll have a play when I get home.

#3 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 25 February 2015 - 12:26 PM

Found this .png that may help

iNJMtel.png

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#4 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 01:42 PM

^ That looks like one of my divots.

I tried it tree creator, it has potential I think if some time was spent on the moss texture and a few different varieties were used. It was however a bit awkward positioning the moss so I think I'd probably just use a mesh tree.

kvhJ8K8.png

#5 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 25 February 2015 - 02:49 PM

I think it would look better on a green leafed tree, nice work Shimonko.

"Divot"? Looks more like something out of "HighTimes".

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users