#1 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 28 February 2015 - 08:21 AM

As I see it there are 6 difficulty levels with 0 being the most difficult.

Each assist carries a number with Off = 0 and Max = 3, so you can have a number of combinations for a certain difficulty level. e.g.

Level 0:   (off/off)

Level 1:   (off/min) or (min/off)

Level 2:   (off/mod) or (min/min) or (mod/off)

Level 3:   (off/max) or (min/mod) or (mod/min) or (max/off)

Level 4:   (min/max) or (mod/mod) or (max/min)

Level 5:   (mod/max) or (max/mod)

Level 6:   (max/max)

So if you set up a tournament or game, you can set the same level without the exact same settings.

IRL, some strike the ball well and get the distance but the direction is a bit off and some have more miss hits (thin or fat) with the direction okay but they suffer in distance.

Thoughts? 

• Tigers Agent likes this

Intel Core i5-6600 CPU 3.3 GHz       Geforce GTX 1060        16GB  RAM       Windows 10 64 bit

Hazyview  (600m above sea level)    --   Nautilus Bay  (Revamp done)  --  Cape Fear  (TGC  adaptation)  --  Aloe Ridge  --  Nahoon Reef GC  --  Chambers Bay 

Abel's Crossing  --  Solitude Links GC

#2 clubcaptain

clubcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 11:50 AM

Looks like more levels are needed to avoid the "OR" factor but are all these levels needed anyway.

PC specs...

Intel core I7 9700k 3.6 GHZ-Turbo 4.9 GHZ
64 GB Corsair vengeance  LPX DDR4 2400 MHZ
Asus PRIME Z390-P 
Nvidea GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
X box 360 wired controller
Windows 10 PRO NA 64 bit

#3 flyer01

flyer01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 February 2015 - 12:55 PM

There's two penalty's with four levels each. Give each one a numerical value, no aids=0, min.=1, mod.=2, max.=3. Select your aids then add the two numbers together. I play 3C no aids, so 0+0=0 and my designation is 3C0. If you MS with min.aids on one penalty and nothing on the other you add 1+0=1 and become MS1 etc.,etc,. I don't think we need to know someones exact preferences just how many aids they're using.

ASUS ROG LAPTOP,  i7-4720HQ, G-sync IPS, 16GB, 1TB HDD, 256GB PCIEG2 SSD, GTX970M GDDR5, WIN. 8.1

#4 TheOtherRick

TheOtherRick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • LocationHeart of Dixie

Posted 28 February 2015 - 01:58 PM

If the game eventually incorporates a handicap system, this point becomes moot. But until then, this idea has some merit in specific cases. For casual golfing, I think this fixation on swing types and aids is detrimental to the community. It creates "we are better than you" cliques and attitudes. But for tournaments and ladders, this works well for leveling the playing field. However, I would say that your pecking order is backward. Level 0, the lowest level, should be max/max and Level 6 should be off/off. This gives the most difficult settings the highest level.

• Tigers Agent likes this

Ye Olde Computing Machine
CPU - Intel i5-8600K Six Core @ 3.60 GHz
MB - ASRock Z370 Pro 4

RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GB DDR4 2666 MHz
OS - Windows 10 Home  (64-bit)
GPU - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

#5 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 28 February 2015 - 02:03 PM

There's two penalty's with four levels each. Give each one a numerical value, no aids=0, min.=1, mod.=2, max.=3. Select your aids then add the two numbers together. I play 3C no aids, so 0+0=0 and my designation is 3C0. If you MS with min.aids on one penalty and nothing on the other you add 1+0=1 and become MS1 etc.,etc,. I don't think we need to know someones exact preferences just how many aids they're using.

This is exactly what I suggested in the OP. ;)

Intel Core i5-6600 CPU 3.3 GHz       Geforce GTX 1060        16GB  RAM       Windows 10 64 bit

Hazyview  (600m above sea level)    --   Nautilus Bay  (Revamp done)  --  Cape Fear  (TGC  adaptation)  --  Aloe Ridge  --  Nahoon Reef GC  --  Chambers Bay 

#6 flyer01

flyer01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 February 2015 - 02:12 PM

Sorry, Highfade/

• highfade likes this

ASUS ROG LAPTOP,  i7-4720HQ, G-sync IPS, 16GB, 1TB HDD, 256GB PCIEG2 SSD, GTX970M GDDR5, WIN. 8.1

#7 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 28 February 2015 - 04:02 PM

OR maybe spinning off your suggestions If I may..

0 .= Pro

1.2.3.= Intermediate

4.5.6.= Novice/amateur

So at Novice/amateur you can use combinations included in 4.5.6 and so on and so forth..

Or I'm sure others will have suggestions. I would just like to see the levels named, may be more helpful.

• Greensboronclion likes this

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#8 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 05:39 PM

In the first EA build we only had two assist and a lot of others are just ON by default such as aiming in the top view etc. Eventually these and other existing and new features may be tied into actual difficulty levels but always with an option to set a custom difficulty. We don't really like to force people to play any one way and I'd much rather give options so that people can tweak them until they play the game the way they like to play it.

There may be tours, both official and third party, that have their own entry criteria so you can play against people using the same settings but that will be down the individuals involved.

I kind of like the idea of feeder tours where people can play competitions with other players with all assists on and when they get good enough to graduate they will be moved onto the next ranked tier. In this way people can play the same tour but in different categories where the top of the tree is the hardcore sim golfer vying to be the best of the best and even the new players can have fun competing against people of a similar skill level.

• Fairwayman and Greensboronclion like this

#9 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 28 February 2015 - 05:57 PM

In the first EA build we only had two assist and a lot of others are just ON by default such as aiming in the top view etc. Eventually these and other existing and new features may be tied into actual difficulty levels but always with an option to set a custom difficulty. We don't really like to force people to play any one way and I'd much rather give options so that people can tweak them until they play the game the way they like to play it.

There may be both tours both official and third party ones that have their own entry criteria so you can play against people using the same settings but that will be down the individuals involved.

I kind of like the idea of feeder tours where people can play competitions with other players with all assists on and when they get good enough to graduate they will be moved onto the next ranked tier. In this way people can play the same tour but in different categories where the top of the tree is the hardcore sim golfer vying to be the best of the best and even the new players can have fun competing against people of a similar skill level.

Insert  thumbsup here, Richard, a little help please,if you don't mind...

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#10 mbidney

mbidney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 06:39 PM

There may be both tours both official and third party ones that have their own entry criteria so you can play against people using the same settings but that will be down the individuals involved.

Please please please please, do not make feeder tour graduation or progression a requirement to play hardcore sim golf.  I don't really think this is what you are saying.  Just need a little clarification.

If someone shows up on day one in PG ready to play with the best, they should be able to do that.

• Armand likes this

#11 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSurfside Beach SC

Posted 28 February 2015 - 06:43 PM

Lots of great ideas and I liked axe360 of three levels and Mike's idea of feeder tours. I like the point system where you get so many aids per level with three levels and that to me would be good. I play Ted's tour in min/min but prefer min/mod as it is more forgiving. We have to remember that once course forge is released we will get some really tough course and nothing against these as they are tough enough but with all the great designers around there will be some brutal courses. I really believe that even with Max aids you won't see many scores in the 50's as the game is just to tough. I have been playing local using two players and hardly ever hit the same shot with each player and in Links I could do that all day. I also like the idea of Feeder tours as that would give players to work their way up the tours and would bring more players to the game I believe. One last thing when this game released I thought we would need separate tours for 3C and MS but I don't anymore. The 3C if you miss at the bottom there is no forgiveness at all and it's tough even for the best to hit every snap perfect unless your name in a previous life was Roy. Also one last thing at this time if you hit thru a tree there appears to be no detection and you go right thru the leaves as they are not there and that will change. Also the deepest grass is easy to get out of also and that will also change. If they were there now I don't think we would see a score anywhere near par and ask yourself how many times during a round you have benefited from those gifts or that roll out of the high stuff to the short stuff. When this game releases as a finished product we might all move in aids.

#12 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 28 February 2015 - 06:54 PM

Since HIghfade did all the work (thankyou) of breaking it all down (good job)..

As for 3 click and MS tournaments or even for friendly games, I like to see these options.

3Click Only

MS Only

Both

I like to play against others that use the same method as I but I also like to mix it up because I have friends who play different than I.

I would like to see 3 click tournies, MS tournies and Both/Mixed tournies..

I would like to see PG host tournies that include all 3 methods.. Just a suggestion though..

Of course you probably would have to go by Novice, Inter, Pro, Expert tournies also? Just suggestions that may spark better ones.

I don't know maybe this:

Novice would be Max Aids Only

Intermediate would be Moderate Aids Only

Pro would be Minimum Aids Only

Expert would be No Aids Only

I think that would be better for setting up friendly games too, instead of Aids Off Aids Off you would see Expert?

Just throwing it out there

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#13 Perculator

Perculator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 07:55 PM

ummm... just because one uses no aids does not make one an expert :rolleyes:

• Armand likes this

i5-4670K | GeForce GTX 970 4GB | 16GB DDR3 RAM | Windows 10 64 bit.

#14 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 28 February 2015 - 09:19 PM

ummm... just because one uses no aids does not make one an expert :rolleyes:

He didn't say it did.

He is just assigning 4 different level settings to the assists being applied.

If he had called them Level 1, Level 2, Level 3 and Level 4, would you have said:-

ummm... just because one uses no aids does not make one a Level 4 :rolleyes:

Like in Links 2003, the highest level is Elite. It doesn't mean you are one of the elite if you play this way, or of a higher standing than anyone else who plays the game, just that you prefer to use the hardest setting.

;)

#15 Perculator

Perculator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 09:26 PM

He didn't say it did.

He is just assigning 4 different level settings to the assists being applied.

If he had called them Level 1, Level 2, Level 3 and Level 4, would you have said:-

ummm... just because one uses no aids does not make one a Level 4 :rolleyes:

Like in Links 2003, the highest level is Elite. It doesn't mean you are one of the elite if you play this way, or of a higher standing than anyone else who plays the game, just that you prefer to use the hardest setting.

;)

Guess you did not get the joke. In fact, I know you did not get it.

i5-4670K | GeForce GTX 970 4GB | 16GB DDR3 RAM | Windows 10 64 bit.

#16 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 28 February 2015 - 09:32 PM

It's all good guy's... Now let's beat the drum for these additions...

• Perculator likes this

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#17 Mailman

Mailman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • LocationCounty Durham, UK

Posted 28 February 2015 - 10:09 PM

Another 'assist' to deny for the really hardcore players would be to disable the grid toggle button so that players could only aim by what they see on the screen and have to judge breaks by sight.  Now this makes putting much more difficult but by no means impossible.  I cannot do this but there are some Links players that play in this 'extreme' mode and enjoy it.

just a thought but surely any tours' handicapping system would ultimately reflect the difficulty settings used by a player.  So long as the options are tied in to the chosen skill level as they are in Links 2003.  For example in Elite mode I cannot aim in the topcam view and have to aim in the mainscreen view.  I prefer it this way but equally recognise that this would not suit everybody.

Intel i5 4690K (OC to 4.4GHz), Arctic i32 CPU cooler, 16GB DDR3 RAM @2400MHz, Nvidia Inno 3D iChill 1060 (6GB)

#18 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 01 March 2015 - 08:49 AM

You're right Mailman, apart from the swing assists, there are visual assists.

I think an option would be to assign weight to each visual assist e.g.

Grid & BLI     =   2

Auto distance  in putting  =  2

Aim in F2 & F3   =  1

Top view aiming  = 1 

I still feel the swing assists should carry more weight than the visual assists, maybe double. From there it's easy add everything up to get a total which would be the easiest possible option and put it in 4 or 5 boxes till you get down to zero for the most hardcore option.

Personally I'll play with all the visual aids and around level 4 for the swing aids and with that, using 3-click will shoot around par average. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users