12 replies to this topic

#1 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:16 AM

Hello. Looking forward to start working with the CourseForge. A few little questions about dealing with the surface shapes and shifting them...

1. I want to create a sand hazard smack in the middle of a fairway. Do I have to draw the fairway around the intended hazard or will I be able to "cut out" the portion of fairway that will be covered by the hazard?

2. I want to extend a fairway. Rather than adding splines, because it's quite a big piece of new fairway, I'd like to paint the addition onto the ground. Can the old and new fairway bit somehow be fused together into one? Or will they simply "melt together" into one where they overlap?

3. I have different layers: fairway, 1st cut, rough, sand etc. Can I somehow change the order of these layers so that I can select which one is on top? That would answer question 1, btw.

4. I would like to add a bit of dirt to certain spots of a fairway, just to make it look worn and aged. Can I paint a texture on top of it?

5. I want to copy and paste the outline of a tee box onto another location. Can I do that?

6. I want to select, say, 18 out of 23 splines of a shape curve to nudge them a few meters to the side. Possible?

• oZZeus and BurdieBoy like this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#2 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:16 AM

1 - You can cut a hole in the fairway mesh or simple draw your bunker in the middle of the fairway

2 - Just create new control points and move them to expand the shape

3 - None of your CourseForge course shapes are on top, they all on the same level and are all visible when drawing

4 - Unity has a 'decal' system which can do this or you can get creative with textures

5 - Not yet

6 - Currently you have the option to move each control point or the whole shape

Hope this helps

• oZZeus and BurdieBoy like this

#3 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:42 AM

It will, in due time. Thank you

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

<<<<<

#4 oZZeus

oZZeus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationQueensland, Australia

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:15 AM

Good questions and good answers... thank guys!

• Davefevs likes this

#5 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:56 PM

To the #5 question from Kablammo.. So in other words, once I drop a shape, it can't be repositioned ? It has to be redrawn? Just want to be clear on that.

TY

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#6 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:14 AM

Axe - see reply number 6

#7 TheLighterDark

TheLighterDark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationFayetteville, AR

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:17 AM

1. I want to create a sand hazard smack in the middle of a fairway. Do I have to draw the fairway around the intended hazard or will I be able to "cut out" the portion of fairway that will be covered by the hazard?

1 - You can cut a hole in the fairway mesh or simple draw your bunker in the middle of the fairway

3 - None of your CourseForge course shapes are on top, they all on the same level and are all visible when drawing

Umm... How can you "simply draw your bunker" with it still being on the same level as the fairway? Which one takes priority, and why?

TheLighterDark / "William" / University of Arkansas, Fayetteville / 21

Toshiba Satellite S855 / Windows 8 64-bit / Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz / 8.00 GB RAM

n2o7ldH.png

"All the world on one arrow..." - Ashe, The Frost Archer, League of Legends.

#8 BladeUK

BladeUK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:07 AM

The shape you draw on the fairway is assigned as a bunker. The bunker takes priority over the fairway, (and rough etc). If it didn't then as soon as you had drawn it it would 'disappear' under the fairway or rough. Similarly Fairways take priority over rough. If you wanted to split a fairway with a rough section you would not lay rough over the fairway. You would split the fairway into 2 or more parts.

Dave.

#9 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:26 AM

Yes, exactly: Are there priorities and if so, what are they? For instance, most fairway bunkers are surrounded by a narrow strip of rough or first cut and/or a dirt lip, they don't just transition from the bunker lip to the fairway... so does this mean I would first have to cut a hole into the fairway to define an island made out of the already existing rough from below - and then draw the bunker inside this patch of rough? Blade's explanation suggest that this is how I would go about the task...  That's why I asked my question in the first place (clumsily, I turns out): Is there a order of priorities to different kinds of surface layers? 

I'm sure we would be able to answer this to ourselves within seconds if we DID HAVE the CourseForge to work with.  But we don't.  :unsure: 

[attachment=46:FMUP!.jpg]

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#10 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:43 PM

Axe - see reply number 6

Thank ya Mike.. :o

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#11 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:02 PM

I think for a lot of these type of questions, we just need to wait for Course Forge to be released. We are all used to our own game's design system, but it looks like things may be a little different here, and until we get our hands on the designer we are never going to fully understand the processes involved.

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#12 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:36 PM

Acrilix, yes we are working hard towards a release and I understand everyone wants to get their hands on it ASAP.  

#13 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:42 PM

As for layer priority you need to 'free your mind' of the other tools you have used.

All layers have the same priority and exist next to each other rather than on top of each other.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users