Photo

Thinking about it... maybe CF should be released sooner?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 11:49 AM

I can understand why the PP team would want to release CF with the retail release of PG, but let's think about this for a minute.   How great would it be if the course designers got their hands on CF earlier, rather than later, to give them a head start and learn CF.    By the time the FULL version of PG is released, course designers will already be knee deep in creating their courses and possibly available for download in the near future.   Heck, there could be courses that designers create certain courses, ie Augusta Natl, St. Andrews, etc., which may give MORE incentive for golf game enthusiast to download and purchase PG! 

I also think by doing this, there will be more leagues, ladders, tournaments, course review sites,  all kinds of great "communities" popping up because the players are able to play more variety of courses.   People need a reason to continue to be excited and so far, we know the players are excited about PG, so why not get designers to get excited as well!    Stuff like this would be a huge boost in the community.   

I don't know all the details behind not releasing CF at this time, all the decisions made by the team and certainly not telling the devs on how to run their company, but it is of my opinion that by releasing CF earlier will allow the overall community to continue grow now, rather than later.  

Thoughts? 

• Stephen Sullivan likes this

#2 Brucey Mc

Brucey Mc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationTeesside, UK #UTB

Posted 10 March 2015 - 12:59 PM

Totally agree with you Rob but I get the feeling I am in the minority.
  • Stephen Sullivan likes this

#3 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 01:17 PM

Yes, it would be a good thing for PP to release CF before the retail version. I don't think that it will be as popular to the casual designer as GNCD because of its complexity but I'm sure the results will be better in the main.
Steam Name: n.bonaparte
WWG1WGA

#4 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 01:35 PM

It's not a question of choice, guys. Yes, this suggestion makes sense. But reality won't let this happen; CF indie is currently not able to export viable builds for PG, this entire functionality has to be built from scratch. That's why there is such a delay, not because of some weird strategic muddleheadedness of PP. And now with U5, that will mean yet more delay to appraise the new version and throughly check if some things still work.

And now we are in the middle of a catch 22: Would you rather have the PG EA stop for a few weeks to gain time for CF or not? PP has not enough staff to deal with both at the same time.

I happen to agree: CF should happen asap, for the benefit of the game. It's just not as easy as waving a wand and poof! it's there.

• NoPutt likes this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#5 JoeF

JoeF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Ontario, Canada

Posted 10 March 2015 - 01:50 PM

While CF won't be released to the masses until final release of the game (for reasons K11 has outlined above) it is currently in the hands of a number of the top computer golf course designers, a veritable "who's who" from  Links, TW, WGC, TGC and more.  Their input in this beta phase can only help make the CF better and the fact that they are learning how to use it now means there will be top quality courses ready to go sooner, rather than later, upon final release.   :)

• NoPutt likes this

Intel i5-4570 cpu @ 3.2 GHz, ASUS Z74-K mb, ASUS GeForce GTX 960 gpu, 16 GB ram, 2 x SSD drives, Windows 10 64 bit

Steam name: sound_flier

#6 mcthommo

mcthommo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 01:54 PM

Although I am itching to get my hands on it, I will be more than happy to wait a while longer just as long as it gives the option to create... what are those small, deep bunkers normally found on links courses called again? :ph34r: :D

Intel 9900k @5GHZ

Asus RTX 3090 Strix OC

32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200

Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390

Noctua NH-D15 Cromax 

Fractal Design Meshify S2

WDC WD10EFRX 1TB NVME drive

2x 14TB Hitachi NAS HDD

Colour scheme by Nigel Tufnell- "None more black"

#7 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 10 March 2015 - 02:33 PM

I personally don't want CF until Mike is completely satisfied

with his Baby. Andrew has stated that 50+ courses are ready to go,

and those mentioned may be already completed. Mike knows his

baby better than anyone, let him change the diapers and teach it

to walk, I don't want to meet it till it's grown and ready for the real world.

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#8 Stephen Sullivan

Stephen Sullivan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationWorksop, Nottinghamshire

Posted 10 March 2015 - 04:25 PM

Totally agree with you Rob but I get the feeling I am in the minority.

You aren't, but I have come to think we will get it when it's properly ready. I still don't think it will be as friendly as APCD, with its reliance on Unity. Therefore I think there will be far less user designed courses than there were for Links (If I was being cynical, I would say this was by design  ;) )

Posted Image

#9 flogster

flogster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 05:39 PM

NoPutt,

I stand with you.

• NoPutt likes this

#10 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 06:14 PM

You aren't, but I have come to think we will get it when it's properly ready. I still don't think it will be as friendly as APCD, with its reliance on Unity. Therefore I think there will be far less user designed courses than there were for Links (If I was being cynical, I would say this was by design  ;) )

I have to 100% disagree with you Stephen...

Not only do i think it will become easier, but I think it will surpass the user designed courses for Links. Granted, it will not do this overnight and if I had some old data I used to keep regarding the released Links courses, from Links Corner, I'd be able to back that up at a given time.

What i do also think, is we are likely to see the same users create more, easily. You may find several users initial attempts are unpolished, but once the learning curve is attained, the time taken to achieve results will be far quicker than the APCD.

• Joe Habiger and NoPutt like this

#11 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 10 March 2015 - 06:41 PM

Reading comments from Dr Rob in a private CF testing thread here at PP forums, I think he would disagree with the highlighted comment above.

Yes, you need an understanding of Unity to get the course as you want it, but I personally think without Unity, we wouldn't have had a course designer to wait for. The work that would have been needed to create one from scratch would have been huge IMO. Like HBS and their TGC game, Without the link to Unity for the GNCD their game probably wouldn't have had a course designer, as I doubt very much HBS would have spent time tying to create one themselves separate from Unity.

I reckon there will be less courses made for PG than for Links, but will be nothing to do with some secret agenda PP have, but to do with the fact folks will not be prepared to learn and understand the required elements of Unity 3D to get he best out of their designs.

;)

#12 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 11 March 2015 - 12:10 AM

Ultimately the success of Course Forge will be down to how good PP can make the game, not the designer. If the game is good enough then people will take the time to learn to design for it. If the game fails to deliver then designers will move on regardless.

• axe360, Stephen Sullivan and Perculator like this
life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#13 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 10:59 AM

Ultimately the success of Course Forge will be down to how good PP can make the game, not the designer. If the game is good enough then people will take the time to learn to design for it. If the game fails to deliver then designers will move on regardless.

I think many people think the game is good already.... and see the potential that it will only get better.   The incentive is there already and the community is only getting bigger.     

#14 Joe Habiger

Joe Habiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • LocationCoon Rapids, MN

Posted 11 March 2015 - 05:33 PM

I still don't think it will be as friendly as APCD

APCD was hard as heck, Unity is easy compared to that Architect.

• AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
  • Sapphire Nitro+ SE AMD Radeon 6800XT
  • G.Skill Trident Z Royal RGB 16GB DDR4-3600
  • Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen 4 PCIe M.2
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD M.2 NVMe
  • Samsung 850 EVO 512GB SSD
  • Sound Blaster ZX Soundcard
  • EVGA 750 Gold Power Supply
  • Fractal Design Meshify S2 Case
  • Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R
  • "43 inch Vizio 4k Monitor

#15 dedBuNNy

dedBuNNy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 12 March 2015 - 01:06 PM

Well even more so than the game it's important that it works seamlessly and properly, has good work flow etc.... I'd love to have it now but don't it buggy so by all means, when it's ready it's ready. ;)

M Swing  //   N Assists

#16 J.H.Buchanan

J.H.Buchanan

PG Ameteur Titleist Golf Balls

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach, Florida

Posted 14 March 2015 - 05:33 AM

If they release it early and even if they wait until releasing it later peoples attitudes - most of them anyway are going to be more about bitching and moaning about something they find in it that rubs them the wrong way that must get fixed immediately rather than appreciating how well it actually is and the things it can do. And then so many will also compare it to something else that has been out there for years and they will bitch and moan how it is not exactly like the other thing they are talking about they will have zero regard about how wonderful it is to have something different that works and is only limited by their pathetic imaginations. 

Little known fact when King Arthur was trying to make a golf course and he ran into some conflict. King Arthur: There's a peace only to be found on the other side of war. If that war should come I will fight it!    Other important fact. Read the Book of John in the Holy Bible. 

#17 mjhamilton113

mjhamilton113

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationLincoln, RI

Posted 14 March 2015 - 11:19 AM

APCD was hard as heck, Unity is easy compared to that Architect.[/quote]

You're right. It can't be any harder. It took me years of watching tutorials, reading, and hard work to even make seam blends. CF does that step automatically.

I happen to think once the game is released, designers will be able to create golf courses very quickly allowing the community to grow rapidly. TGC, where I have designed four courses, shows the potential of speed in that department. I've created courses for that game in hours not days. CF will require more detail I assume, but imagine being about to pump out a course in 20 hours or so? The courses available to the community will be extraordinary.

#18 Ninja_Prime

Ninja_Prime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationSuffolk UK

Posted 15 March 2015 - 09:06 AM

I for one am happy to wait, but like so many others it would have been great if CF was released sooner rather than later, so that budding course designers could familiarise themselves with it. I have watched one or two of the videos uploaded on Youtube, and it looks more customisable than the TGC course designer. 

All I really want to be able to do is re-create some of the actual courses I play on, I tried that with the TGC one, but it somehow didn't feel authentic and I had to fudge a few areas to just get the general look.

CF like I said looks more able to cope with what I want to do.

• J.H.Buchanan likes this

There is no shame in defeat, there is only shame if you do not learn from it.

Intel i7 870@3.06Ghz, 12GB RAM, W10 Pro 64bit, Nvidia GTX 1060 3Gb

Courses designed:

​The Pines, Bracken Heath, Skye Dunes, The Glade, Brook Vale (WIP).

#19 Ninja_Prime

Ninja_Prime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationSuffolk UK

Posted 15 March 2015 - 10:00 AM

I can't see how CF can be difficult to use. Its not like designing a SP map for a first person shooter, where you have to set up flow graphs and script AI to do things. All you really need to do is create/design a golf course. How you do this is entirely up to you, it can be based on your own imagination or based on real-life.

I wonder if you can import height maps from Google earth or Photoshop? I guess we will find out soon.

There is no shame in defeat, there is only shame if you do not learn from it.

Intel i7 870@3.06Ghz, 12GB RAM, W10 Pro 64bit, Nvidia GTX 1060 3Gb

Courses designed:

​The Pines, Bracken Heath, Skye Dunes, The Glade, Brook Vale (WIP).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users