#21 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts
  • LocationWest End, Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Posted 28 March 2015 - 12:23 AM

I've just come in from my first real practice round. I shot a 1 over. Hit fairways but should have probably got under par. Approach shots needed a different strategy with the firmness at 8.  I found that bouncing short (where there isn't much trouble) and running the ball up to the pin worked well. I enjoyed the challenge. Club selection for approaches is vital and I'll be adding a short iron or two to my bag. I didn't think the course held many terrors - if at all. Drive well, think through approaches and Bob's your uncle. I'm sure there will be plenty of sub-par first rounds.

#22 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSurfside Beach SC

Posted 28 March 2015 - 01:37 AM

Ted......I arrived at the course today and shot +3 in my practice round with conditions as it will be Sunday and was quite pleased with round. A few bouncy places and very difficult to keep ball close to the pin and you have to be careful to not let that putt sneak to far past the hole. Will be interesting event this week but club selection will be very important. I don't know about the extra short club as I have tried bringing the 60 wedge but have pulled it and have the 2H instead. I can make the 56 do just as well by lofting it up and seem to control the distance better. Not a fan of the 60 deg as I don't carry one in real life either and am better with the 56 but that is just my preference. I don't believe there are any 62 scores out there on min or mod and Max might be a reach also as it is just to hard to keep the ball close to the hole and if you miss green it's a grind to get up and down so I still say -10 or less to win event but what do I know as I have been off tour trying to recover old glory. Lol.

#23 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 02:26 AM

G...........Yeah the hardest part so far is choosing the bag. I'm really liking the faster greens. They seem to make reading a putt more real for me. I've got a good handle on the bounce as well. But it is so important to hit those fairways and get some spin on the greens. It's not easy to hit the fairways with the run all the same. I'm hitting 320 yard drives with the wind. The fairways are pretty generous though. Of course as the course softens and the wind drops it will be a whole new ball game. 

I'm very interested to see the scores. I haven't played a round with the tough pins yet so I can't make a prediction. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I can't set the following days conditions after everyone's first round because of when each player decides to play their rounds. I'll have to set each day's conditions before the tournament starts.

#24 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSurfside Beach SC

Posted 28 March 2015 - 02:48 AM

Ted.....total agree with your take on the greens as I like the faster ones also. The greens are very generous but as you said you have to hit fairways as the ball won't stop out of the ruff. As for the bag I am still torn as right now I am carring both the 2H and 1H in the bag as they play better out of the ruff than the 5W and it suits that course better. This might sound crazy but I am contemplating pulling the 3W out for this event and going with the 4W or 5W as the 3W is to much on the few par 5's I will try for in two. Lots to think about for a video game and it is tasking my time. Won't play again till Sunday as I am down at coast every weekend playing real golf tomorrow so I shall tee first round up Sunday evening.

#25 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 11:43 AM

So just to level-set, the first round of the tournament will have the following:  

Course:  Massachusetts

First Round Conditions:  firmness 8, stimp 11, breezy conditions

I would assume we are using Tournament tees and we are allowed to use any assists that we see fit, correct?  

#26 woodworkery

woodworkery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 12:19 PM

Did I miss what tees we are on

#27 Maineah

Maineah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationMaine, U.S.A.

Posted 28 March 2015 - 01:38 PM

Is it an honor system 1 and done or just submit a round your happy with....?

#28 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 03:59 AM

It will be the Championship tees, the longest course and you can submit at any time after as many rounds as you like until you are happy with your score for the round. Once you have submitted a round it will stand of course. Use any assists you fell comfortable with and, yes, it is an honours system. We trust you and you trust yourself. By the way, you win nothing except some sort of personal status. 

I'll have the full rules with the Championship announcement thread which will be in about 15 hours from now.

Cheers

#29 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 12:30 AM

Yikes... just posted a +7.   All sorts of difficulties, but fun nevertheless.    Ready for round 2!  

#30 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 01:04 AM

Post your scores in the Championship thread Rob

Cheers

#31 frank70

frank70