Photo

Unique Player Swing Model "UPS" (Advanced Setup)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 23 March 2015 - 12:50 PM

I know this has been mentioned in a couple of threads about tweaking your own Motion swing tempo on the range and then save it to your player. Well, it's a great idea and credit to those who came up with it. I'm a 3-clicker and I believe the same principles apply.

Too many time while play testing with 4 players on different difficulty levels I find that you can throw a blanket over the balls in the  in the fairway. The driving distances between the players are very close, unlike you would expect IRL.

PROPOSAL:

For the purpose of this explanation I'll stick to 3-click but it will apply to MS as well.

Before we start messing with shafts and clubheads lets have the player determine his own unique swing speed and rhythm (ratio for MS).

Take the Pga tour stats from the slowest to the fastest swing speed and tie it into the swing meter. Give the meter a range from the 2.75 seconds it is now down to 1.5 seconds for the fastest swing speed. So, you'll head out to the range  and try the meter at all the different speeds till you're happy that it suits your own rhythm. Some might like it slower others faster.

Next you will be able to decide on the back/down swing ratio. Remember, only the down swing will determine your club head speed and how for you'll hit the ball.

For example:

Matsuyama has a swing speed of 114mph and his whole swing takes 1,2 seconds from start to impact.
Snedeker  has a swing speed of 110mph and his swing takes only 0.66 seconds.

Two very different players with two totally different ratios.

You might argue that everyone will just go for the fastest option; don't think so. If you get closer to the green and have to start playing half shots a fast meter might get tricky. So you'll have to strike the balance of what works best for you. Also, this has nothing to do with overswing, like IRL, I can't hit it as far as Bubba by just over swinging.

Once you have a swing speed, tempo, ratio, rhythm that works for you, you can get the driver and shaft that will fit your swing. 

Personally, I would  love something like this it should give the game a deeper dimension but again some might just want it simple so options would be nice. :)

• Ch3apTrick likes this

Intel Core i5-6600 CPU 3.3 GHz       Geforce GTX 1060        16GB  RAM       Windows 10 64 bit

Hazyview  (600m above sea level)    --   Nautilus Bay  (Revamp done)  --  Cape Fear  (TGC  adaptation)  --  Aloe Ridge  --  Nahoon Reef GC  --  Chambers Bay 

Abel's Crossing  --  Solitude Links GC

#2 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 02:42 PM

I like this idea. I strikes me as being very much in line with PP development being dedicated to bring us players plenty of options on every aspect and allowing for a maximum of individual settings to capture the entire spectrum of the game. But it's always hard to debate its merits, though, without an overview of all the factors that will affect your swing in the final release.

You mentioned possible gear customisations based on a distance-accuracy-spin-forgiveabilty balance

There was also some low-key talk about assigning natural fades and natural draws to your player profile

And swing methods, both MS and 3C, later gamepads, being synced with the avatar, might also play a part. Your timing suggestion would, after all, determine the speed at which the avatar executes its motions.

Bit difficult to debate a single aspect with some pieces of the puzzle still missing. 

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#3 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 23 March 2015 - 03:41 PM

What I'm trying to get across is that how far you can hit the ball is not about the equipment your using, it's about your swing speed.

Bubba doesn't hit it that long because he uses a certain driver, he needs a certain  driver because of his high swing speed to control all the "distance-accuracy-spin-forgiveabilty balance" .  I know some might find it a bit too technical like setting up a racing car but I think there's a lot that will enjoy it, including me.

Intel Core i5-6600 CPU 3.3 GHz       Geforce GTX 1060        16GB  RAM       Windows 10 64 bit

Hazyview  (600m above sea level)    --   Nautilus Bay  (Revamp done)  --  Cape Fear  (TGC  adaptation)  --  Aloe Ridge  --  Nahoon Reef GC  --  Chambers Bay 

#4 Ch3apTrick

Ch3apTrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 25 March 2015 - 02:52 PM

Great idea,simply great hope this gets an implementation

I7 Devils Canyon - MSI Gaming 5 - 16gb Corsair Vengance - Zotac AMP Omega 980 ti - Asus ROG PG287Q - 120SSD Samsung - 3tb Western Digital Green - Windows 7 64bit Ulitmate - 100mb Virginmedia .

#5 JoeF

JoeF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Ontario, Canada

Posted 25 March 2015 - 04:07 PM

What I'm trying to get across is that how far you can hit the ball is not about the equipment your using, it's about your swing speed.

Bubba doesn't hit it that long because he uses a certain driver, he needs a certain  driver because of his high swing speed to control all the "distance-accuracy-spin-forgiveabilty balance" .  I know some might find it a bit too technical like setting up a racing car but I think there's a lot that will enjoy it, including me.

That's a great analogy to explain PG's plans for club & ball customization to those who fear it is about "pay to win".

Intel i5-4570 cpu @ 3.2 GHz, ASUS Z74-K mb, ASUS GeForce GTX 960 gpu, 16 GB ram, 2 x SSD drives, Windows 10 64 bit

Steam name: sound_flier

#6 clubcaptain

clubcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 08:36 PM

I know this has been mentioned in a couple of threads about tweaking your own Motion swing tempo on the range and then save it to your player. Well, it's a great idea and credit to those who came up with it. I'm a 3-clicker and I believe the same principles apply.

Too many time while play testing with 4 players on different difficulty levels I find that you can throw a blanket over the balls in the  in the fairway. The driving distances between the players are very close, unlike you would expect IRL.

PROPOSAL:

For the purpose of this explanation I'll stick to 3-click but it will apply to MS as well.

Before we start messing with shafts and clubheads lets have the player determine his own unique swing speed and rhythm (ratio for MS).

Take the Pga tour stats from the slowest to the fastest swing speed and tie it into the swing meter. Give the meter a range from the 2.75 seconds it is now down to 1.5 seconds for the fastest swing speed. So, you'll head out to the range  and try the meter at all the different speeds till you're happy that it suits your own rhythm. Some might like it slower others faster.

Next you will be able to decide on the back/down swing ratio. Remember, only the down swing will determine your club head speed and how for you'll hit the ball.

For example:

Matsuyama has a swing speed of 114mph and his whole swing takes 1,2 seconds from start to impact.
Snedeker  has a swing speed of 110mph and his swing takes only 0.66 seconds.

Two very different players with two totally different ratios.

You might argue that everyone will just go for the fastest option; don't think so. If you get closer to the green and have to start playing half shots a fast meter might get tricky. So you'll have to strike the balance of what works best for you. Also, this has nothing to do with overswing, like IRL, I can't hit it as far as Bubba by just over swinging.

Once you have a swing speed, tempo, ratio, rhythm that works for you, you can get the driver and shaft that will fit your swing. 

Personally, I would  love something like this it should give the game a deeper dimension but again some might just want it simple so options would be nice. :)

In JN6 there was a differential in the 3C speed. The faster the speed the higher was your maximum distance and the penalty for missing the snap was greater. Conversely the slower the speed of the meter the easier it was to hit the snap line but your maximum distance was correspondingly lowered. This worked well in that there was always a good spread of meter speeds in use and combatted the "covered by a blanket" issue. So I agree this could have mileage here but the present MIN/MAX diificulty settings would need to mesh with it somehow because you can have the fastest downswing in the world but impact with the ball would still be the greatest factor in direction as well as distance.

PC specs...

Intel core I7 9700k 3.6 GHZ-Turbo 4.9 GHZ
64 GB Corsair vengeance  LPX DDR4 2400 MHZ
Asus PRIME Z390-P 
Nvidea GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
X box 360 wired controller
Windows 10 PRO NA 64 bit

#7 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 26 March 2015 - 09:57 AM

Never played JN6 but it's good to hear

I think with these older golf game a lot of research went into finding the right speed of swing meters etc. That's why Links is still played today as it offers a mental challenge.  The 3- Click meter in it's current state has a zero learning curve, it's more like rolling a dice. It's just too slow to develop a swing rhythm and tempo like you can do in Links.

Older players might struggle with a too fast meter so they will need to slow it down a bit and as a result will loose some distance. Well doesn't that apply in real life as well? :D

BTW, I'm one of those older players :)

#8 clubcaptain

clubcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 11:53 AM

Interestingly, although the fastest meter speed would be regarded as the hardest to use all but one of the top players used it. Their mantra really wast  leave the shortest second shot possible.

PC specs...

Intel core I7 9700k 3.6 GHZ-Turbo 4.9 GHZ
64 GB Corsair vengeance  LPX DDR4 2400 MHZ
Asus PRIME Z390-P 
Nvidea GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
X box 360 wired controller
Windows 10 PRO NA 64 bit

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users