#1 Keith

Keith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 23 March 2015 - 09:05 PM

Installed Unity 5 today and ran into the same problem I have had in every version past 4.3.4.  For whatever reason it just doesn't work on my machine.  The terrain settings don't take and when I try to set height and flatten the terrain disappears from view.  I try moving to view and it doesn't appear. New terrain still shows in the hierarchy, but nowhere in the viewing window.   If I undo flatten it reappears, but that leaves me with a completely level terrain that I can not dig into, so basically useless.  Just now I got a Unity Editor has stopped working prompt and a shutdown.

My OS is Windows 7 Home 64 bit, 8 gig RAM, Nvidia 650TI graphics. Not sure if this is all a technical issue.  Just find it strange that 4.3.4 works like a charm but Unity 4.5 and beyond is problematic.  Looked into Unity answers and their solution seems to be toggling between different view layouts.  I tried that with no success.  I hope this can be resolved because I don't want to be left in the cold when CF is released.   

#2 Jimbobh

Jimbobh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 23 March 2015 - 09:28 PM

Try High lighting on the terrain i the hierarchy, then at the top click GameObject, then "move to view" see if that helps. You can also try double clicking on the terrain in the hierarchy and usually it will come to view. Another thing, in the inspector, set position x,y,z to "0"

Gigabyte ga-z68x-ud3h-b3 Motherboard

Intel Core i5-2400 CPU@3.1GHz 3.70GHz

GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
16GB Ram   (2)G.Skill Ripjaws F3-10666L9S-8GBXL
Windows 7 Home Premium

#3 TheOtherRick

TheOtherRick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • LocationHeart of Dixie

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:05 PM

I have Unity 4.6 and I have found the following to be true. When a terrain is created, the elevation is 0 (sea level?). I was having the same issue...not being able to dig below elevation 0. I found that when I raised terrain, I could lower it again...in other words, I could "dig" in elevated terrain. I do not know of a way to set the terrain at a height higher than zero when it is created. This was bothering me a great deal because I was thinking I could never make a bunker, or a lake, unless I raised the entire terrain with the flatten tool set at 10-20 meters...very impractical, even with a size 100 brush. But when I imported my terrain heightmap, everything was higher than the default 0 altitude, so the problem went away.

I don't know if this helps any or lights a lightbulb over someone's head...just what I have found in my limited time with the program.

Ye Olde Computing Machine
CPU - Intel i5-8600K Six Core @ 3.60 GHz
MB - ASRock Z370 Pro 4

RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GB DDR4 2666 MHz
OS - Windows 10 Home  (64-bit)
GPU - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

#4 Keith

Keith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:21 PM

Looking in my Nvidia control panel it appears Unity is not in the programs list.  Don't know if that has something to do with all of this or not.  I am wondering if Unity could be grabbing my on board graphics rather than Nvidia?

#5 Joe Habiger

Joe Habiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • LocationCoon Rapids, MN

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:49 PM

No, Unity is not in my list either in Nvidia. I don't use Nvidia for anything other than my drivers. I use the game program to set everything. Your plot is not high enough I am thinking. 

I hope I don't get into trouble for this but this comes from a manual I have and it basically just talks about Unity and not Course Forge so I don't really see the big deal but Mike or Andrew if you have a problem just delete it...

This is how everyone should be starting their terrain if they don't have a pre-made plot of land.

If you are creating a course from scratch ie without a pre-made heightmap, you will need to set the terrain dimensions manually by clicking the cog icon in the terrain inspector and adding the numbers needed in the Resolution section of the inspector. I recommend a plot roughly 2000x2000 in width and length

With the height sufficient to cover the elevation range of the course from the lowest to the highest point, 100m is usually a good number unless your course is unusually hilly or has some dramatic feature such as tall cliffs. You can then manually add the other numbers. Recommendations are - 

Heightmap resolution to 2049

Detail resolution to 1024

Detail resolution per patch to 128

Control Texture resolution to 2048

Base texture resolution to 1024

----------------------------------------------

On your fictional course, you will need to flatten the terrain to a height somewhere in between the minimum and maximum values or you will not be able to lower your heightmap to make bunkers, lakes or valleys etc.

This step is not necessary if you have imported a course from a heightmap.

setheight.jpg?version=1&modificationDate

• AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
  • Sapphire Nitro+ SE AMD Radeon 6800XT
  • G.Skill Trident Z Royal RGB 16GB DDR4-3600
  • Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen 4 PCIe M.2
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD M.2 NVMe
  • Samsung 850 EVO 512GB SSD
  • Sound Blaster ZX Soundcard
  • EVGA 750 Gold Power Supply
  • Fractal Design Meshify S2 Case
  • Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R
  • "43 inch Vizio 4k Monitor

#6 Keith

Keith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 24 March 2015 - 12:48 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, but unfortunately nothing has done the trick.  This really bugs me.

#7 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 24 March 2015 - 11:53 AM

Have you tried changing your Resolution / Terrain Height? For me, when

I go higher than 300 strange anomalies happen.

Ky8MbcJ.jpg

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#8 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 12:18 PM

Wish I could help, Keith...

I'm sure you must have come accross this in your desperate quest for answers. No idea if it's relevant.

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/21406/how-t-run-unity-3d-in-windows-7-64-bit/

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#9 Keith

Keith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 24 March 2015 - 05:55 PM

Yeah K11 I did come across that.  Also came across the -force-d3d11 trick some have used.  Neither seems to faze my issues.  Here is how my terrain looks when created.  Very strange looking, and can't be adjusted in any way via the settings menu.

yG0qTJX.jpg

Then when I attempt to raise the height and flatten here is what I get...

6kINXb6.jpg

Terrain vanishes from view, but as you can see it is still listed in my hierarchy. Move to view doesn't bring it back into sight. I feel like this is some sort of hardware issue, but for the life of me I can't figure it out.  I hear my machine really working when trying to use 5.0.  Don't know why 4.3.4 works like a charm, yet everything from 4.5 up is a no go.  Thanks everyone for trying to help.

#10 Jimbobh

Jimbobh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 24 March 2015 - 08:22 PM

Hi Keith, I have been trying to re-create your problem. I am pretty sure the terrain is there, you just have to find it. Here is what I came up with.

Once you have created the terrain and flattend it, Find the TOP view with the thing in the top right corner of the screen, then scroll out and the terrain should come in to view. You will then just have to get it back to perspective view.

Here is a quick video of what I did.

Hope this might help you out.

GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
Windows 7 Home Premium

#11 Keith

Keith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 24 March 2015 - 09:06 PM

Jim..this appears to help.  I have scrolled around with your method and found my terrain.  Any idea why my terrain is flying off to left field when initially flattened?  Your help is much appreciated bud.

#12 Jimbobh

Jimbobh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 24 March 2015 - 09:28 PM

Why it is moving, I am not sure about yet, U5 is new to me too. It might have to do with the default terrain size and height. Most of my terrains are imported so I don't get this problem. you might try starting the height at  a lower level before flattening it. It might not drift off so far. I will do more experimenting and see what I come up with.

GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
Windows 7 Home Premium

#13 Keith

Keith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 24 March 2015 - 09:43 PM

Well, good news about it not being a problem via import.  Still haven't got my terrain in the proper view using your method, but at least I know it is there now.  Hopefully when TF is available this won't even matter.  Really bizarre issue.

#14 Keith

Keith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 25 March 2015 - 07:06 PM

My name is Keith and yes, I am an idiot.  Just left click in the scene window and press F.  Brings the terrain right into view.  Geesh.  Sorry for the trouble fellas.  Until my next crisis over nothing...

#15 Jimbobh

Jimbobh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 25 March 2015 - 09:22 PM

No problem Keith, I use that funtion all the time and forgot to mention that to you.

GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
Windows 7 Home Premium

#16 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 02:56 PM

My name is Ian and I'm an idiot too... welcome to the group Keith... ;)

• Keith likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users