19 replies to this topic

#1 ollybobbles

ollybobbles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 01:11 PM

With the new year came the golf game we were all waiting for.

I posted my initial (first look) review on 2 Feb and it was glowing. The game looked good and had so much potential. I, as a former Links player since Links 98, was in my element. This was the perfect game for me. Links style feel with next gen qualities.

Here we are in the last week of March, almost 3 months after launch.

The game has not moved on in so many ways. I still enjoy the way the game feels but if this is going to compete with other golf games out there then we need to see more progress 3 months in.

USER INTERFACE : The user end of the game needs to tighten up. It still look amateurish with all of the peoples names down one side. The user experience needs to be polished with a high end product feel about it. Think about Links 2003 when trying to visualize this element. Links opened up with a beautiful splash screen and great background music. The buttons were solid looking and everything could be accessed from the main screen. The options were almost limitless and each player could create their own experience which i feel is paramount to real success with this game. A game that came out 12 years ago still has that vibrancy about it. This needs to be replicated in some way. Please make it look polished like its a luxury game. 

ONLINE EXPERIENCE : This is one part of the game i think it truly excels at. I have a strong wifi connection and i am using a powerful alienware laptop and i have never experienced any issues with playing online. The watching camera needs a lot of work but please remember this is more of a gimmick than anything else. We want to play good golf with our friends online and chat about the experience. I don't need to stand at a certain angle to watch my friend play for this to work. What i do need is more information about his shot and my shot. Where have our balls finished? Who had the longest drive on that hole? How far have both players (or more) got to go? More information is needed on opponents lies and distance and instead of the stupid green and red dots on our fairways outlining the correct route, populate the overhead cam with players balls, colour coded to match their shirts.

PLAYING INTERFACE : When playing golf, whether online or not, we need to ramp up the options to individuals. I for one enjoy the view of my player quite small so i am further back with a wider field of view. I can amend this in the ugly function options but this needs to be built into the interface (panoramic anyone?). We should be overwhelmed with the amount of options available to us and a plethora of sliders to fine tune our experience. We need all of our on screen info (swing gauge/overhead map/score info etc) to be move-able and resize-able. Customization is the key and something that needs urgent attention.                                                                       Going back to options we really need more camera options and in-picture camera options. As ive said before, if this was achievable in 2002/03 then i'm sure it can at least be replicated here. I know that the mathematics behind the shot calculations are different but surely an in picture reverse camera option is a must in modern day PC golf.   

I will list a few other playing interface issues i have:

1. The grid option should be able to be used when on or close to the green only (much better than having to click it on and off each time)

2. I would like to have a quick view camera to snap to where i place my marker. This way i can gauge the width of a fairway or the slop on the green in first view rather than just relying on the flyover each time.

3. The scorecard caters for Hole, Par, Yards and SI. It populates my score but lacks any other statistics such as , FIR, GIR, Putts, Scramble Stats etc . This needs to be coupled with the option of saving your score as a file which will wrap up all of the information required when trying to verify a score for say a tour or ladder website. Currently people are screen printing their scorecards and manually inputting their other stats (this is too long winded and will not do if user websites are to be successful).

4. The weather options are terrible. While the rain has been improved somewhat, i would like a myriad of options when it comes to weather such as a rain slider for strength of rain, same options for snow. The environment needs to be affected by the weather in play (will we see small puddles on dips in fairways and bunkers, will we see our golfer don a wet suit as an option). 

5. The settings menu should be faded until hovered over.

6. Differentiate between shot count (3rd shot) and score (-2) : maybe a different colour or font

7. To a lesser degree it would be nice to change the way our golfers look. From clothing to stature, design of shirts, shoes , balls, clubs, hats ...you name it, the public like to tinker with their player. Then saving it would be the best way forward to allow players to form their own identity. Self design shirts would be a good option then for example a PG Tour website could issue a shirt with their own logo on representing their tour.

I suppose ultimately we are talking about options, options, options but in different guises. The more options relating to the playing experience (camera/sounds/look/feel/colours of user golfer/colours of swing gauge etc).

PLAYING THE GAME : There are still many elements which need some urgent attention, as follows:

1. The ball still rolls in the deep rough 

2. The thinner trees still have no real affect on the ball

3. The ball bounces out of a bunker > or bounces / rolls along in it (not replicating sand qualities at all)

4. The slopes on the green have little or no affect on the power of the approach putt. If i have a 30ft putt which is 20 inches uphill then i can still click the gauge to 30ft and it will reach the hole almost every time. I would expect the slope to take its toll and come up a couple of feet short at least. This needs to be looked at. Downhill putts seems to work slightly better.

5. When on follow cam we sometimes follow the ball under the mesh if from a raised to lower position. Such a basic flaw.

6. The wind does not interact with the ball as much as i feel it should (open to interpretation).

7. The sidehill lies do not interact with the shot result as much as i feel it should (open to interpretation).

8. When re-entering Perfect Golf from my desktop (maybe to look at an email mid-round) the overhead view represents an inverted view of my golfer (very strange).

9. Still get many white dots on the green when assessing some putts.

As i said before, i really like the game and will continue to play it and enjoy it. I am just declaring my viewpoint on what would make it better and a more enjoyable experience for all.

Please give us more courses to play on - you say that you have many ready already ...so let us play on them...please. Variety is the spice of life.

You will have my undoubted support throughout this process.

I thank you for all of your hard work (thank you for listening). 

Keep on swinging.

Regards

Ollybobbles

• Harald likes this

#2 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,531 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 03:03 PM

PLAYING THE GAME : There are still many elements which need some urgent attention, as follows:

3. The ball bounces out of a bunker > or bounces / rolls along in it (not replicating sand qualities at all)

4. The slopes on the green have little or no affect on the power of the approach putt. If i have a 30ft putt which is 20 inches uphill then i can still click the gauge to 30ft and it will reach the hole almost every time. I would expect the slope to take its toll and come up a couple of feet short at least. This needs to be looked at. Downhill putts seems to work slightly better.

5. When on follow cam we sometimes follow the ball under the mesh if from a raised to lower position. Such a basic flaw.

6. The wind does not interact with the ball as much as i feel it should (open to interpretation).

7. The sidehill lies do not interact with the shot result as much as i feel it should (open to interpretation).

8. When re-entering Perfect Golf from my desktop (maybe to look at an email mid-round) the overhead view represents an inverted view of my golfer (very strange).

Please give us more courses to play on - you say that you have many ready already ...so let us play on them...please. Variety is the spice of life.

My personal comments on the numbered points:

1.  Agree.  My only comment is "how do we know if that's rough really cut low (where a ball will move through it a lot) or not"?  We don't since there's no 3d Grass.

2.  Air trees are a problem.  I hope Unity 5 helps here.

3.  Agree

4.  I'm not sure I agree here.  The putting is just odd.  It works, but I really miss a standard power meter that we gauge ourselves.

5.  I've seen that a couple times when the ball is flying down to a lower fairway, agreed.

6.  Disagree.  I've learned to really appreciate the wind when I actually hit a good shot that doesn't distort the view of what the wind is doing.

7.  Totally disagree.  I absolutely play the sidehills all the time!  Not sure how you haven't noticed how much it impacts things when it's a big side hill lie.

8.  Just a quirk.

9.  I personally haven't seen that.

#3 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 03:24 PM

That was a fun read, thanks much.. 

I still think the little flag on the putt meter needs to be removed.  Really don't like the fact that I can literally 2 putt every single time.   make it a half meter or make it a full meter... knowing where exactly to click to get it close to the hole takes a ton of challenge out of putting.     

• J_Schollmeyer likes this

#4 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 04:24 PM

That was a fun read, thanks much.. 

I still think the little flag on the putt meter needs to be removed.  Really don't like the fact that I can literally 2 putt every single time.   make it a half meter or make it a full meter... knowing where exactly to click to get it close to the hole takes a ton of challenge out of putting.     

The flag indicator might remain for easier modes of play but it will be gone and replaced with a linear meter for most modes.

• Ron Piskorik, J_Schollmeyer, frank70 and 1 other like this

#5 capitaine25_

capitaine25_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationQuebec City

Posted 27 March 2015 - 05:05 PM

I will have to wait until the game is finished but I didn't see that much improvements on the last 2 updates to be honest... I start to think that this game with great potential will fall very short of all my expectations... I have seen the new Rory McIlroy previews, looks nice and detailed... the graphics are way better that Perfect Golf..... I will have to see but so far I stopped playing because it's boring...

#6 Sinewiz

Sinewiz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationMichigan U.S.A.

Posted 27 March 2015 - 05:38 PM

McIlroy will be a Tiger woods clone and it is apparently for consoles only. TGC is who is going to be most directly effected by this release. ;)  Don't quite understand what you find boring about PP unless it's the lack of arcade features and lending itself more as a simulation. 

• Fairwayman likes this

Lakes of Taylor Golf Course

Links at Gateway Golf Club

#7 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,531 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 05:38 PM

I will have to wait until the game is finished but I didn't see that much improvements on the last 2 updates to be honest... I start to think that this game with great potential will fall very short of all my expectations... I have seen the new Rory McIlroy previews, looks nice and detailed... the graphics are way better that Perfect Golf..... I will have to see but so far I stopped playing because it's boring...

Have you played the game?

How much?

#8 Sinewiz

Sinewiz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationMichigan U.S.A.

Posted 27 March 2015 - 05:42 PM

I actually should preface my earlier statement. It "is" Tiger Woods golf game with a new representative. ;) Not saying I won't play it though, but in general it draws a different crowd.

Lakes of Taylor Golf Course

Links at Gateway Golf Club

#9 capitaine25_

capitaine25_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationQuebec City

Posted 27 March 2015 - 05:44 PM

I have played around 30 full rounds.. to me a lot of things are missing... I will see for the Rory McIlroy game how it is ... let's see... I will be patient with perfect golf ...

#10 KingJavo

KingJavo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 27 March 2015 - 06:14 PM

Good read!  

The only thing I would say in defense to PP is that this stuff takes a TON of time and resources to gather requirements, design, develop, test, retest/redevelop, and deploy.

Don't forget they are spending time upgrading to Unity 5, which will add more potential to the overall product.

One nit picky thing that also comes to mind is the golfer model blocking the hole when putting.  I think an option to add some transparency to your player would help to see the hole without having to move your target all over the place when aiming your putt.

This game is getting better at its core, but we definitely have a long way to go before comparing to a game like Links who had Microsoft money behind it.  This is the best golf game out, but only if it keeps improving by adding features/fixes along the way.

#11 sirputterman

sirputterman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 06:34 PM

"Going back to options we really need more camera options and in-picture camera options. As ive said before, if this was achievable in 2002/03 then i'm sure it can at least be replicated here. I know that the mathematics behind the shot calculations are different but surely an in picture reverse camera option is a must in modern day PC golf. "I would like to have a quick view camera to snap to where i place my marker. This way i can gauge the width of a fairway or the slop on the green in first view rather than just relying on the flyover each time."

Hmm seems It's been  mentioned a couple of times about haviing hot keys for cameras.. F W S A D and number keys in TW worked pretty friggen good.  ;) 

#12 lefty1948

lefty1948

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 27 March 2015 - 07:16 PM

Everybody makes some darn go points here.

But I would also say that the key here is patience.

Remember that Rome wasn't built in a day!

Also the launch date was 1/22/15, so it won't

be 3 months  on going until 4/22/15.

• Superstar likes this

#13 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 07:34 PM

Well, I guess it'd be boring if you don't like golf much. I'm a golf nut. I play local all the time, primarily, I don't like waiting for other people. If this game had a good course designer, I'd say, stick a fork in it :)
  • JoeF likes this
Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#14 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 27 March 2015 - 08:38 PM

I have played around 30 full rounds.. to me a lot of things are missing... I will see for the Rory McIlroy game how it is ... let's see... I will be patient with perfect golf ...

That is true. The dev's have admitted this, but as development progresses, things will be added. I guess you are not for beta testing after all. As that is what Early Access effectively is.

They are a small group and are concentrating their resources on particular facets of the game. They can't get a full team working on career mode, another team on courses, another doing UI, some more doing game physics and coding. These guys are doing it all.

EA will have thrown a massive budget at PGA '15 and stuck Rory on the front cover. Had a massive team working on it. IMO, it will be TW re-mastered with the Frostbite engine. Nothing more. I hope those that buy it enjoy it. I won't be giving EA any of my cash.

I'll hang around here and try and assist the remainder of the community in helping PG move forward and give us all the golf game we yeran for, without the Battleships.

;)

• JoeF, RobV, dilly and 1 other like this

#15 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 08:49 PM

That is true. The dev's have admitted this, but as development progresses, things will be added. I guess you are not for beta testing after all. As that is what Early Access effectively is.

They are a small group and are concentrating their resources on particular facets of the game. They can't get a full team working on career mode, another team on courses, another doing UI, some more doing game physics and coding. These guys are doing it all.

EA will have thrown a massive budget at PGA '15 and stuck Rory on the front cover. Had a massive team working on it. IMO, it will be TW re-mastered with the Frostbite engine. Nothing more. I hope those that buy it enjoy it. I won't be giving EA any of my cash.

I'll hang around here and try and assist the remainder of the community in helping PG move forward and give us all the golf game we yeran for, without the Battleships.

;)

Dittos!
Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#16 DennisHarris

DennisHarris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • LocationSummerville SC

Posted 27 March 2015 - 09:14 PM

As i said before, i really like the game and will continue to play it and enjoy it. I am just declaring my viewpoint on what would make it better and a more enjoyable experience for all.

You will have my undoubted support throughout this process.

I thank you for all of your hard work (thank you for listening). 

Keep on swinging.

Regards

Ollybobbles

1.   Agree completely.  PP has said further work is needed with the rough.

2.  Agree again!  But not just the thinner trees but all trees.  Some work has been done on this as I do experience some tree thunk ball hits now.

3.  Agree again!  But the PP team is working on sand issues as we speak.  

4. I completely dissagree.  I have uphill and downhill putts that come up short or go long because I didn't adjust the strengh of my putt for the green slope.   A 1 inch uphill putt comes up short if I hit the flag on my putter.  The amount of extra or less power to give a putt is imo inconsistant.   

5. Not sure I understand this one.  If losing the sight of a ball once it is on the ground is what we are talking about then I agree it is a bug.

6.  The wind certainly works imo. So no problem there.  Works to good imo when a gust comes up and carries the ball away from the fairway or green.   

Everything disscussed here is being worked on by the Dev. team.  Another not mentioned Golf Game, I have patiently waited for Matchplay mode of play (is on player menu) from day 1 of Early Access  thru full release.  And its next update still doesn't have it a year later. 

A very small indie dev team like PP is doing just fine and I really appriciate their efforts.    

Digital Storm Ryzen 9 3900X/12 core  3.79MHZ/16 gig Ram /  Radeon R5700xt

#17 Stephen Sullivan

Stephen Sullivan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationWorksop, Nottinghamshire

Posted 27 March 2015 - 09:30 PM

Still would like to have seen a horizontal motion swing from the start. Feeling left out as its all I've played and I don't like the vertical swing.

Any ETA?

• Ron Piskorik likes this
Posted Image

#18 nightowl

nightowl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 09:47 PM

Horizontal swing. Yes, please.

#19 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 11:14 AM

Many of the things you want in the game will come in due time.   The devs are working on the core game and then things that you want such as birds, airplanes, trash cans, water fountains, crowds, etc. are all items that will be up to the course designers.  

I personally want to see the core game get developed first and then all that "visual" stuff will come when the courses start rolling out.   I can see what you are saying from a visual standpoint, but certainly not a gameplay standpoint.  The gameplay is fun.. the visuals will make this fun game prettier and nicer to look at.  

#20 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 11:16 AM

The flag indicator might remain for easier modes of play but it will be gone and replaced with a linear meter for most modes.

Well, this is certainly great news Mike!    Thanks a ton!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Review

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users