33 replies to this topic

#1 woodworkery

woodworkery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:07 PM

Will this game have VEM in it like WGT has?

In other words VEM ...what it does is ,as you get better the game gets harder. If you are birding every hole 1-4  the game will take your ball way off from where you aimed , or take it way long or short. It messes with your shots .

#2 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:45 PM

That just sounds like arcade tomfoolery. I would hope Perfect Golf doesn't go down that road.

I don't mind a bit of randomness as far as things like fliers are concerned, but not play god with your ball because you have strung a few birdies together.

Imagine VEM being applied to racing games, because you are constantly setting fast laps, as you go to turn right in to the first corner on your next lap, the game decides you will turn left instead. If that's the way WGT works, I'm glad I'm not playing it.

#3 Davefevs

Davefevs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:04 PM

Couldn't agree more Daz.

If the game becomes easy, just make the settings harder.

#4 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:13 PM

That would be horrendous. I can't imagine they would even consider adding that.

#5 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:26 PM

I think artificial game balancing such as 'catch up' in driving games etc. has been THE worst development in games for me in all the decades I've been playing. I HATE IT!!!  :angry: 

It's "Let's make everything close and exciting by penalising the skillful and rewarding the clueless."

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against allowing handicapping in a game - it gives everyone a chance of success - but do it openly, before the game starts - not by some devious 'big brother' take over.

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#6 DAZZA501

DAZZA501

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationBransgore, Hampshire, UK

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:28 PM

I don't mind a bit of randomness as far as things like fliers are concerned, but not play god with your ball because you have strung a few birdies together.

I'm also a player from WGT and hitting a "flier" as you say, is exactly what the VEM in the game does. 4 holes of perfect play and then you get a shot that goes 20yds long or short of the clubs stated distance. It doesn't happen all the time but just recently it's starting to happen more often leading to a lot of players claiming that not everyone is on an even playing field.

#7 TimBoch

TimBoch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationFarmington, MN

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:50 PM

I hope that as much as Links 2003 was a pretty decent simulation of golf, even with the way some have shown a great capacity to play it much better than others.  I hope that Perfect Golf will also try and be a golf simulation and not a game as I feel TW and so many other golf games tend to be.  There should be different swing methods and different difficulty settings to allow people to play to a level they feel comfortable and also enjoy. Randomness to shot response from the environment and the elements will add to the realism of the simulation. Randomness just for creating an effect, would destroy the simulation.

Keep up the great work guys.

Course Forge Courses in various stages of design: Dwan Golf Club, Hyland Greens, Faribault CC, Desert Valley CC/ Woodland Trail(fictional), Infamous Golf Course (fantasy)
Links 2003 Designs: Dwan Golf Club, Infamous Golf Course, Hazeltine National Golf Club (assistant designer), Woodland Trail/Desert Valley CC , Faribault CC (beta), Hyland Greens (beta), Double Eagle (beta), King's Walk (beta), Interlachen CC (still in planning)
Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.5GHz
  • Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit
  • 16GB DDR3L RAM
  • 750GB 7,200RPM Hard Drive
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M

#8 woodworkery

woodworkery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:45 AM

yep guys that good old VEM, just had a shot 2 mph wind in my face 50 yards away from the hole hit my ATV 50 wedge no spin came up 9 yards short........we love WGT

#9 Andrew

Andrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:50 AM

No

But we will over a varying set of aids that a player can turn on or off to increase the difficulty, For example you could have a wind meter that shows you the direction and strength of the wind or you could play with a grass toss for increased difficulty.

#10 brhthecarpenter

brhthecarpenter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Locationtexarkana texas

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:03 PM

i cant wait for this game to be playable, geting sick and tired and fed up with w.g.t. s greedy game.

#11 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:57 PM

No

But we will over a varying set of aids that a player can turn on or off to increase the difficulty, For example you could have a wind meter that shows you the direction and strength of the wind or you could play with a grass toss for increased difficulty.

If you guy's plan on having online tournaments, I just hope that if someone wants to play a more difficult game, that those games can be separate.. I love to play difficult but some enjoy the standard so to speak, type of play and if the tournaments Aren't able to be separated by difficulty then were not going to get a fair and balanced game..

For someone who likes to play with a "grass toss for increased difficult" but they are forced to play in a tournament where others can use the "wind direction and strength of the wind" to play, then the folks who play the " easier of the two" would have a decided advantage over those who like a "harder game"  Choices.

If I choose to play a more difficult type of game, then I want to be able to have anyone else that is in the same tournament, play the same difficulty as I, so as to get a Truly Fair Game...

The same could be said for those who may like to play a more Standard type of game... Have choices so that tournament will be the same for all who join..

TWO didn't do that and it was really unfair.. Anyone who liked to play an advanced level of play, had to join the easier tournaments, or else they had to play non tournaments and therefore were not included in all the Tournament Statistics..

Choices in other words...

Peace

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#12 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:46 PM

If you guy's plan on having online tournaments, I just hope that if someone wants to play a more difficult game, that those games can be separate.. I love to play difficult but some enjoy the standard so to speak, type of play and if the tournaments Aren't able to be separated by difficulty then were not going to get a fair and balanced game..

For someone who likes to play with a "grass toss for increased difficult" but they are forced to play in a tournament where others can use the "wind direction and strength of the wind" to play, then the folks who play the " easier of the two" would have a decided advantage over those who like a "harder game"  Choices.

If I choose to play a more difficult type of game, then I want to be able to have anyone else that is in the same tournament, play the same difficulty as I, so as to get a Truly Fair Game...

The same could be said for those who may like to play a more Standard type of game... Have choices so that tournament will be the same for all who join..

TWO didn't do that and it was really unfair.. Anyone who liked to play an advanced level of play, had to join the easier tournaments, or else they had to play non tournaments and therefore were not included in all the Tournament Statistics..

Choices in other words...

Peace

Larry,

I would hope there would be some scope for creating gaming lobbies, so folks can host their own online matches with the settings they specify and the same for PP Tournaments, where there could be the same tournament running but with separate leaderboards based on the event levels of difficulty and what aids are set to on/off.

I would prefer to be competing on a like for like basis against others playing the same levels of difficulty, especially for scratch events, than be put with folks who have every aid available switched on, even though I don't.

All a long, long way off, but still good to chat about these type of things even now.

;)

#13 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:54 PM

Exactly Daz.... :D

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#14 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:25 PM

I'm not sure how this is going to work though. If one person wants grass toss on, caddie off, putting aid on etc. there would need to be tournaments for every possible combination to make things fair and that just wouldn't be possible. I love options - the more the better - but I can't see how you can implement them all into an online tournament and still keep it fair, unless these options are grouped together as amateur, pro etc.

Perhaps each option could be assigned a skill point number when you turn it on or off. Tournaments could then have a max points number to determine which 'class' you played in. A bit like the car class races in the Gran Turismo games - when you start modding the cars you go up a class.  :huh: 

#15 Davefevs

Davefevs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:58 PM

For handicap tours like OWGC I've often wondered how you police someone who builds a handicap based on setting themselves up as difficult as possible for their skill, e.g. Pro level, but no grid, no putting assistant, no overhead etc....they are still pro though.

Then just as a big tourney comes up they then switch all of these things on!

Maybe I'm just a tad cynical?

Quite like the concept of points. Not sure how you would implement though.

#16 =DCS=JoeMamma2

=DCS=JoeMamma2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:59 PM

I like the grass toss idea.......Keep it Real!!!

And anti cheat measures would be great!

Good thought Davefevs!

#17 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:22 PM

It would be very simple to implement. Each golf 'aid' in your game options would add points to your 'pool'. You would start with 0 if you had everything turned off. So if you turned on wind information assistance for instance, it may increase your 'pool' points from 0 to 3. Adding a certain type of putting assist, might add another 6 points, making it 9 etc. There would then be tournaments ranked with different pool maximums - say 0 points (hardcore) 10 points (difficult) 20 points medium etc. To enter a tournament, you would just have to make sure you set your options to keep your 'pool' points total within the range of the tournament you wanted to play in. This would stop the OWGT scenario you mentioned from ever being possible because if you changed your options you would no longer qualify for the same level of tournament.

• Dazmaniac likes this

#18 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:02 PM

Like the suggestion Lez makes. 

I wouldn't expect an event for every possible variation of settings, but at least with Lez's suggestion it makes the choice varied enough so that players can find near enough the right variation for them.

;)

#19 Davefevs

Davefevs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:31 PM

#acrillix - yep that works for me. Ta.

Remember an old cricket game that allowed you to allocate points across several aspects, eg batting, bowling etc. was fine except all-rounders punished a bit!

#20 Andrew

Andrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:16 PM

For handicap tours like OWGC I've often wondered how you police someone who builds a handicap based on setting themselves up as difficult as possible for their skill, e.g. Pro level, but no grid, no putting assistant, no overhead etc....they are still pro though.

Then just as a big tourney comes up they then switch all of these things on!

Maybe I'm just a tad cynical?

What we did over at OWGC is if you downgrade your skill you have to go back to the challenge tour and set a new handicap

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users