#21 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:54 PM

What we did over at OWGC is if you downgrade your skill you have to go back to the challenge tour and set a new handicap

Having players set a new handicap because of a downgrade doesn't always achieve anything, as if said player is sneaky enough they will play their 20 rounds very poorly to get the best possible handicap and then in their first event completely lap the field because they have started off with a totally false handicap. Then dependant on the handicapping system in place, it could take 2 or 3 further events for the handicap to get to where it really should be.

Sadly, there are those who do stoop to these levels just to make sure they win at least once.

• ✠ davef ✠ likes this

#22 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts
  • LocationCouncil Bluffs, Ia

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:07 PM

Having players set a new handicap because of a downgrade doesn't always achieve anything, as if said player is sneaky enough they will play their 20 rounds very poorly to get the best possible handicap and then in their first event completely lap the field because they have started off with a totally false handicap. Then dependant on the handicapping system in place, it could take 2 or 3 further events for the handicap to get to where it really should be.

Sadly, there are those who do stoop to these levels just to make sure they win at least once.

yea the honor system just don't work on the net besides now days honor is turning into a lost word

CUK Mantis Gamer PC (Liquid Cooled Intel Core i9,10 Core                            MSI GF75 Thin 17" Laptop

32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD                                                          I5 8GB Ram GTX1650 

NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB OC, 600W PSU, AC WiFi, Windows 11                           144 Hz Windows 11

VIOTEK 35" CURVED  144HZ-200HZ OC MONITOR

Seagate 4TB External Hard Drive

Klipsch Sound System

BENCHMARKS-https://www.userbenc...serRun/38611652  

#23 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:58 AM

All things considered, i think that "fear of cheating" or "fear of abuse" should not be allowed to influence any aspect of this game. Most fear-based measures designed to ward off trouble usually end up inviting it. The assumption of good will and fair play must not be forsaken too hastily, let alone abandoned even before the first shot has been hit.

Honor may be a lost word - but to let fear control your decisions, that is dishonor! It would treat everybody as a potential cheater and cast general suspicion on the overwhelmingly vast majority of fair players who will abide by the rules - just for the sake of thwarting a few, misguided tricksters and rotten apples. 

Not the time for this sort of thinking - a clear case of crossing the bridge when we get there. 

• Perculator and remers like this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#24 Maverick Spirit

Maverick Spirit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:51 AM

No

But we will over a varying set of aids that a player can turn on or off to increase the difficulty, For example you could have a wind meter that shows you the direction and strength of the wind or you could play with a grass toss for increased difficulty.

Really appreciate Andrew taking the time to respond to a few questions. "A grass toss" to determine wind direction, now that's a new option and would add more realism to the game, especially for the expert players out there and options are what many of us have always wanted.

Maybe I'm jaded or cynical and desire more information sooner than later but, wish his response was a tad more detailed. Something like... For example you could have a wind meter that shows you the direction and strength of the wind or you could play with a grass toss for increased difficulty, not to mention tree leaves, bushes, flags, water ripples would also provide you information about the direction and speed of the wind.

#25 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:50 AM

"A grass toss" to determine wind direction, now that's a new option and would add more realism to the game, especially for the expert players out there and options are what many of us have always wanted.

It's not actually a new idea. I played a golf game at least 10 years ago that had this option, though I can't remember which one it was. It may have been on the original Playstation.

Anyone remember?

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#26 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts
  • LocationCouncil Bluffs, Ia

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:54 PM

i agree with you K11 as i don't let to much of this internet stuff get into my head when playing a relaxing game such as golf.

as for fearing any of it i don't because i really don't care much about  what others are doing . how ever i do research the cheats and people who use multi personas

for the group im with and have gotten pretty good at connecting the dots so we have been able to keep a lot of crap out of the group and our site and ladder tourneys.

as for the way you put it the rotten apples will always be there and people will always be looking for ways to get over.

acrilix i seem to remember something like this also but i never played the playstation back then i think i seen it in a package of golf games i bought out of the cheep section at the office depot or one of the office supply stores back between 96 and 99. but i can't remember either

CUK Mantis Gamer PC (Liquid Cooled Intel Core i9,10 Core                            MSI GF75 Thin 17" Laptop

32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD                                                          I5 8GB Ram GTX1650 

NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB OC, 600W PSU, AC WiFi, Windows 11                           144 Hz Windows 11

VIOTEK 35" CURVED  144HZ-200HZ OC MONITOR

Seagate 4TB External Hard Drive

Klipsch Sound System

BENCHMARKS-https://www.userbenc...serRun/38611652  

#27 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:32 PM

It's not actually a new idea. I played a golf game at least 10 years ago that had this option, though I can't remember which one it was. It may have been on the original Playstation.

Anyone remember?

Everybody's Golf (in it's vaious guises) on the Playstation has had this option and I also believe Swing Away Golf did too.

#28 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:33 PM

All things considered, i think that "fear of cheating" or "fear of abuse" should not be allowed to influence any aspect of this game. Most fear-based measures designed to ward off trouble usually end up inviting it. The assumption of good will and fair play must not be forsaken too hastily, let alone abandoned even before the first shot has been hit.

Honor may be a lost word - but to let fear control your decisions, that is dishonor! It would treat everybody as a potential cheater and cast general suspicion on the overwhelmingly vast majority of fair players who will abide by the rules - just for the sake of thwarting a few, misguided tricksters and rotten apples. 

Not the time for this sort of thinking - a clear case of crossing the bridge when we get there. 

My reply was more aimed at what AJ said happens at the OWGC Tour and Links 2003, than at Perfect Golf and what may be to come.

#29 woodworkery

woodworkery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:41 PM

Is there any holes , any course ready for us to try? Give us something anything

#30 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:23 PM

Is there any holes , any course ready for us to try? Give us something anything

Crystal Pines and Augusta National have both been created in Course Forge, but I doubt they are playable.

The guys are still working on ball/environment physics. I doubt there is even a build of the game with menus etc. for us to make us of.

It will be ready when it is ready. No amount of us bleating and pleading for Course Forge, Terrain Importer Tool or Perfect Golf will make these guys roll anything out before they feel it is ready for public consumption. This I can cope with.

The main gripe I have is the lack of regular posts to just let us know what is going on. I'm not wanting chapter and verse, just brief updates. I'm sure if they posted more regularly, we would stop seeing threads like these keep cropping up asking where things are.

#31 alanti

alanti

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:41 AM

I'm also a player from WGT and hitting a "flier" as you say, is exactly what the VEM in the game does. 4 holes of perfect play and then you get a shot that goes 20yds long or short of the clubs stated distance. It doesn't happen all the time but just recently it's starting to happen more often leading to a lot of players claiming that not everyone is on an even playing field.

"VEM" has certain advantages in that it theoretically prevents the game from becoming too easy.If it gets too easy, players get bored and leave. The downside is it can be unfair as it does create an unfair playing field. As long as the laws of physics are not defied I do not have too many issues with it. Part of the problem with WGT is the equipment has become too good, resulting in unrealistic scoring,  and VEM is the only way to attempt to curb scores.

#32 Guest_deena_golf_*

Guest_deena_golf_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:16 AM

Another big problem with WGT is that because it is a flash based browser game it is very hackable and easy to implement cheats in-game, I think that this is where it all started to go wrong and the successive measures they have implemented has resulted in a game that plays itself and looks at you like you're some irksome bystander getting in the way of ITS amusement!!

I do take it that the platform for PP is not going to be flash (sorry I didn't take the time to research the details of this question elsewhere but I believe it has it's own unique framework right?)

#33 DennisHarris

DennisHarris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • LocationSummerville SC

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:30 AM

yea the honor system just don't work on the net besides now days honor is turning into a lost word

Agree! 

Digital Storm Ryzen 9 3900X/12 core  3.79MHZ/16 gig Ram /  Radeon R5700xt

#34 J.H.Buchanan

J.H.Buchanan

PG Ameteur Titleist Golf Balls

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach, Florida

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:19 PM

Glad to hear Andrews input sounds encoraging - like the grass toss and seems like they have though out other things and have hit the nail on the head with their decision of what to do about it. (the redo handicap concept)

Little known fact when King Arthur was trying to make a golf course and he ran into some conflict. King Arthur: There's a peace only to be found on the other side of war. If that war should come I will fight it!    Other important fact. Read the Book of John in the Holy Bible. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users