* * * * * 1 votes

Windows 7: Yep. It had it all.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Nemesis_*

Guest_Nemesis_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:46 PM

Microsoft said that using the Start Menu in previous versions of Windows was "just not used that much".  That was just a marketing ploy.  Everyone enjoyed the fast access to "everything" from the Start Menu. I would love to see a re-release of Windows 7, perhaps call it Windows 7.5 with a smattering of the Windows 8.1 features. However, those features would need to be disabled "easily" by anyone if they didn't like them.

Great video by an individual where you can see how quickly and how much he uses the W7 Start Menu.

#2 TheLighterDark

TheLighterDark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationFayetteville, AR

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:27 AM

Or you could just download one of the many mods for W8 that have a Start Menu button. 

TheLighterDark / "William" / University of Arkansas, Fayetteville / 21

Toshiba Satellite S855 / Windows 8 64-bit / Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz / 8.00 GB RAM

n2o7ldH.png

"All the world on one arrow..." - Ashe, The Frost Archer, League of Legends.

#3 Guest_Nemesis_*

Guest_Nemesis_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:18 AM

The point of the topic is to show how fast and how often this person uses Windows 7 Start Menu.  If a person has W8 and is stuck with it then they would install any of the 3rd party Start Menus available online. I say "stuck with it" because they bought it and they couldn't return it to the store for a refund.  Which makes me wonder about the so called million licensed copies of W8 supposedly sold by M$ in the first year. I can't help wonder how many of those people are "stuck" with W8 and are using a 3rd party Start Menu. My guess would 25% of them.

If someone likes W8, then they will learn how to navigate that system without a 3rd party Start Menu.

#4 egl1219

egl1219

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:14 PM

Another crazy conversation about the start button.  I love W8 and the argument about a start button is ridiculous to anyone who uses and enjoys the W8 experience.  Change is hard for many people, especially people who are older, but as a 65 year old with hundreds of users around North America, it is just a learning experience.   :D  

#5 fungolfer

fungolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:48 AM

Times simply change, since IOS and Android it was just a question of time until PC OS will also just deliver the core and everything else will be Apps.

Still don't have no Win8, but the missing start button isn't a reason and would never be.

• egl1219 likes this

Who cares...

#6 Guest_Nemesis_*

Guest_Nemesis_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:14 AM

"For desktop users, Windows 8.1, like Windows 8, before it, is more trouble than it's worth. If I were a full-time Windows user, I'd stick with Windows 7 until Microsoft pried it from my cold, dead hands"    - Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols

Zdnet: Another article, one of many, disparaging the mistakes M$ made with W8/W8.1

#7 Guest_Nemesis_*

Guest_Nemesis_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2013 - 03:22 AM

Thoughs of you with Windows XP can still find great deals at Amazon and other reputable online stores for Windows 7 64 Bit Home and Professional Machines.

There is no need to buy Windows 8/8.1 and then download a so, so Start Menu.  Windows 7 has everything you need and Windows Updates do not expire for Windows 7 until April 2020.  By then there will a better PC version of Windows 9, 10 or whatever Microsoft chooses to call it.  Until then, stay comfortable and "stress free with a W7 PC". 

:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users