Tiger Woods 2012 - so bad??

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_deena_golf_*

Guest_deena_golf_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:15 AM

Hello everybody,

I would like to discuss the Tiger Woods franchise of games, particularly what I found initially good, then go rotten, then come up smelling of Augusta again with TW2012.....

If any of the below stated 'facts' are not facts at all it is because they are in-fact, 'facts' which have been assumed as such by derivation according to my playtime and experience of the games in question.

If you would care to enlighten me with the true facts of anything of which I speak then please, go ahead, make my day :-)

I shall begin by asking the question 'what went wrong with Tiger woods and when was that?' and I mean the game not the malfunctioning golf star himself......

The answer as far as my playtime goes is 2003, and why is that you may well ask....

Well again, from my own playtime experience and the games I have managed to get hold of Tiger Woods for the PS2, 2003 was the last time I ever played the popular franchise with an aim arrow which indicated the spot where the ball was projected to land, based upon the club and the shot selection you had made. If you changed the club the aim arrow would shift backwards down the fairway, the same applied for shot selection and the gamer knew exactly what he or she was facing. You had an idea of the potential pitfalls and objects along the way such as trees and shoulders of rough jutting out on to the neck of the green e.t.c. The aim arrow came with a zoom feature which was simply a marvellous feature that covered the in-transit path the ball would take from the player to the landing spot, everything felt right to me, you had an analytical aim tool which could be evaluated and judged and enjoyed as part of the 'game'.
The next of the Tiger Woods franchise I played was Tiger Woods 2004 for the PC, oh and how things suddenly changed - but for me at least, not at all for the better. The aim arrow had dissapeared and in its place I was confronted with a rather stubby crude looking outline of an arrow with about as much graphical beauty as the arrow icon found in MS word!! It was dreadful to look at and equally dreadful to play. Gone were the landing arrow, the zoom and the projected landing spot, and in their place.........nothing!! Oh how innovative, in a time when browsers were starting to go minimalistic so too was Tiger Woods golf. You 'aimed' your golfer according to the arrow and simply took your shot, you had no idea where the ball was going to land and the whole thing became less analyitical and more hit and hope - inexcusable from my vantage point of preference, sacrilage, blasphemy and a reign of misery that would last almost half as long as that of the original party pooper Oliver Cromwell - well my Christmases were cancelled for the next 8 years at least!!!
[I do not know if I am missing a fact or 2 here, were the PS2/3 Xbox console versions any different? were there ways to select the original aim arrow from the scantilly clad options menus the successive franchise endowed itself with? All I ever saw was the same clumsy looking arrow which gave no indication of where you were placing the ball, it just acted as a pivot and rotated the player about the Y-axis?]

I have just played a perfectly legitimate demo version of Tiger Woods 2012, the Masters (obviously I never downloaded an illegal torrent - that would be, well....illegal wouldn't it.....?!), I had been a little wary at first as I loaded the game up to a backdrop of internet wailing proclaiming this game to be a load of poo, 'go back to TW 08 because `12 is rubbish' was the overall mood I picked out.....
 To my great surprise and delight the first thing I noticed about TW12 was......THE OLD FASHIONED AIMING ARROW!!! hey-ho the wicked witch is dead and time to reinstate Christmas was my initial thought which was only ever going to get better the further I ventured in  to the game.
I took delight in aiming my shot up with full distance, elevation, lie and projected landing spot all at my disposal, I sucked my teeth as the zoom function hurled me forwards at scintillating speed along the flight path to drop me off exhausted and dazed at the landing spot......then I gurgled in delight with the new shot preview feature which could be switched either on or off - what a great way of acclimatising to the putt, tuning in to the break and most importantly standing a chance from the first point of contact with the game instead of finding myself blown off the course by shakey aiming sights and firing mechanisms and missing the putt entirely - from 6 inches if TW 07 was anything to go by - how 'offputting' for a game, perhaps a game that had lost its sense of 'game' in its pursuit of pure golfing experience (a bit like a littlwell known flash based browser golf game out there right now - all pumped up and missing your putts on your behalf 'whether you like it or not you're coming with me' type mentallity)....Then there was the new putting indicator 'high jump bar' which told me how much power I would need to apply in order to get me to the point of glory - how fantastic, the game is now instantly playable, enjoyable and most importantly anayltical again, you feel as though you're weighing things up again for the first time since 2003, hit and hope was now history!!
Then there was the spin control, back again after a conspicouos absense (and replaced with conspicuous shots such as 'high spin' in TW07 whatever a high spin is - answers on a postcard please), anyway good old fashioned spin was back on my key arrows and all these features could be played out on no less than 15 different courses including the most beautiful: Augusta National on which the game was based - it even gave a hole by hole depiction by way of the flowers on display - how utterly fantastic and what more could you want?

Well you could want a pro-shop or an in-detail face mock-up, but you'd have to buy the full version and go online for all that-  something I would now be prepared to do after sipping the first honey nectar for 8 years, I reckon it's well worth it - just let me upgrade my crappy notebook with its crappy chipset with an i7 and a proper graphics card and it's a deal (something I intend to coincide with this game going live b.t.w).

The only question I really have is 'why so bad TW12?? why does everyone say it's crap when it is obviously the best TW game ever to grace our screens? am I missing something here? am I the only one begging to differ? are there others like me out there in the golf playing universe or am I scared of standing up only to be shelled with rotten tomatoes by everyone?

With all my reasoning and explanation how can you say TW08 is brill whereas TW12 is crap?

Yours ever confused,

deena.

#2 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts
  • LocationCouncil Bluffs, Ia

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:17 PM

my take and believe me i really liked TWO but the game play had its problems, the rough was always way off

pitching and chipping where much to easy to a point where there where a lot of people who never even used their putters,they could pop them in from anywhere on the green.

also all the green pitching that was going on i would not even play multi players i did not know, ok before it all gets kicked up i know the PGA allows it but hell there where people pitching on the greens on 5 to 10 foot putts where there was nothing in the way or a real reason to not be putting, the graphics where good. i think the biggest thing was there was no support what so ever if you had a problem with the game it may have took up to a week to get with someone who could help you,oirigin support was even worse with that support coming from people in India that you could not even hardly understand in their live support along with all the form answers you could tell where being read off of a list.

i went in there during the first beta and after reporting a few glitches and watching all the others who where reporting them and nothing was being done about it so why even have beta testers when not paying them and mind at all.

now today im back on 08 and to this time i still don't understand why i gave it up for TWO the 08 gameplay is great really nothing to complain about it sure there is not support from EA any longer but there is plenty in the 08 community that know it all about the game and help is very easy to find, the options and the amount of great courses to play is a huge plus. and as for the highspin i don't understand it either so i don't use it however i play in a couple of large ladders and see others using it all the time.

so im going to ask a few of them what the advantage is to a highspin shot.

CUK Mantis Gamer PC (Liquid Cooled Intel Core i9,10 Core                            MSI GF75 Thin 17" Laptop

32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD                                                          I5 8GB Ram GTX1650 

NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB OC, 600W PSU, AC WiFi, Windows 11                           144 Hz Windows 11

VIOTEK 35" CURVED  144HZ-200HZ OC MONITOR

Seagate 4TB External Hard Drive

Klipsch Sound System

BENCHMARKS-https://www.userbenc...serRun/38611652  

#3 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:50 PM

Gurgling with delight, Deena? Sipping honey nectar? Your bubbly enthusiasm is palpable.

Personally, I would not rate TW12 that highly and maintain that TW08 was the better game - being a full PC game as opposed to a slimmed-down browser game like TWO/12. And for having grass, not blotchy patches of icky textures. And many more play modes. And drop zones for watery shots. And, and, and...

Doesn't matter! What counts is that you are having fun doing a "golfy" thing on your computer, from the sound of it a bit more in the "Arcade" department and not so much in the "Sim" sector. No need at all to be ashamed or insecure about that, and no call for anybody to try and spoil your fun.

• ✠ davef ✠ likes this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#4 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts
  • LocationCouncil Bluffs, Ia

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:31 PM

highspin was explained to me as a way to play the tweener shots either long or short from a distance

with out having a bunch of backspin or forward spin  but only on longer shots i guess it helps none on short approaches 

now im just posting what i was told by a few people and have not tested it out myself

CUK Mantis Gamer PC (Liquid Cooled Intel Core i9,10 Core                            MSI GF75 Thin 17" Laptop

32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD                                                          I5 8GB Ram GTX1650 

NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB OC, 600W PSU, AC WiFi, Windows 11                           144 Hz Windows 11

VIOTEK 35" CURVED  144HZ-200HZ OC MONITOR

Seagate 4TB External Hard Drive

Klipsch Sound System

BENCHMARKS-https://www.userbenc...serRun/38611652  

#5 Guest_Nemesis_*

Guest_Nemesis_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:18 AM

TWO was a good game and would have stayed a good game if a dozen members in the TWO forum would have stopped hassling the developers to make the game more difficult. The game "was what it was" but alas, the devs listened to the howlers and they (the devs) spoiled the game on April 15, 2011.

By spoil I mean it drove many people away because the three swing meter had no forgiveness for the classic driver.  Plus a a couple other changes that drove people away.  I stayed with it to the end and found it fast to play and it was great to be able to shutdown the computer during any round and start-up again.

I think being able to power-off the PC and come back to any round is important.

Side Note:  I surely hope PG will allow us to power down and resume a round hours later as well.

• balaceanca81 likes this

#6 Mav78

Mav78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationNewport, Wales

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:46 PM

there was nothing wrong the tiger series, not on console anyway always been a fun and easy to play game, just bored of it now, same old

#7 Guest_Nemesis_*

Guest_Nemesis_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:26 PM

Nope. In fact, it was a lot of fun!

#8 mbidney

mbidney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:11 PM

TWO was a good game and would have stayed a good game if a dozen members in the TWO forum would have stopped hassling the developers to make the game more difficult. The game "was what it was" but alas, the devs listened to the howlers and they (the devs) spoiled the game on April 15, 2011.

By spoil I mean it drove many people away because the three swing meter had no forgiveness for the classic driver.  Plus a a couple other changes that drove people away.  I stayed with it to the end and found it fast to play and it was great to be able to shutdown the computer during any round and start-up again.

I think being able to power-off the PC and come back to any round is important.

Side Note:  I surely hope PG will allow us to power down and resume a round hours later as well.

I was in on the first day of beta for this "game" and shot a 58 or something on my first ever round.  It was terribly easy and not challenging at all.

Anyway, aside from that what I will say about the quoted opinion is this.   If the very best players are shooting 52 and asking for the game to be harder and you are shooting 68 and just fine with the game.....   What is wrong with you shooting 78 to move the top scores to 62?  +10 shots for everyone?

The answer is you don't want to feel like you suck @78, while the best don't want to birdie/eagle every hole.  At the end of the day the difficulty of the game will determine the range of scores and to say it was made harder and my scoring went down the drain that is kind of silly imo.  Just take the motivation of trying to shoot 70 again and get better.

#9 Guest_Nemesis_*

Guest_Nemesis_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:04 AM

I was in on the first day of beta for this "game" and shot a 58 or something on my first ever round.  It was terribly easy and not challenging at all.

It's all moot now.

#10 Guest_deena_golf_*

Guest_deena_golf_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:45 PM

Hey Leeray - thanks for the tribute clip, awesome waterfall and I love the ambience you get with the PC/ console style games as opposed to the flash-browswer which is static and silent,

Y'know I have been known just to park the ball up in a beautiful location and just leave the screen on as a background - very pacifying I find, especially when I'm doing the ironing, lols!!

#11 Guest_Nemesis_*

Guest_Nemesis_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:09 AM

Hey Leeray - thanks for the tribute clip, awesome waterfall and I love the ambience you get with the PC/ console style games as opposed to the flash-browswer which is static and silent,

Y'know I have been known just to park the ball up in a beautiful location and just leave the screen on as a background - very pacifying I find, especially when I'm doing the ironing, lols!!

The sound effects in TWO for the waterfalls, oceans and rivers etc. were pretty darn good.   :)

#12 Guest_Nemesis_*

Guest_Nemesis_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:42 AM

It was fun and fast!

#13 Mav78

Mav78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationNewport, Wales

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:27 PM

I enjoyed most of the TW games - on console anyway. Easy playing and good fun. Didn't like the focus addition but you had to adapt to a new style of play and it was still fun. Very arcade, prefer links, but I used to really enjoy it.

#14 ChickenLittle99

ChickenLittle99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem,Nc

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:06 AM

I LOVED TWO even though I sucked at it. I just wish i was half as good as NOEL, MAVS and the rest of the TWO players.

I just loved playing the game, sure do miss computer golf.

HURRY UP PP Christmas is next week, I hope to have PP in my computer stocking 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users