#1 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:03 PM

Wondering  what kind of technology will be used to capture motion of the golfers swing with our AI? Will you use some kind of Motion Capture method? I know that has been around for a while and maybe outdated?

Also will each golfer be customizable like they were by using Game Face? Not speaking about clothing/accessories but customizing the body/face/size etc..

I edited this so my apologies to those that have replied so far, if they misunderstood..

Thanks

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#2 DennisHarris

DennisHarris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • LocationSummerville SC

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:32 PM

I am a big fan of creating my personal golfer with clothing and custom clubs.  Like we could in Links 2003.  So I would very much like the ability to download custom shirts, pants, and clubs.   I wouldn't mind shafts too, but not with specific attributes attached to them.   Game Face in TW was fun but I did not care for the added distance (attributes) built into said clubs, shafts and golf balls.  Evetually everyone had the same gear.  LOL!  I liked my pink golf ball in TW08 tho.  Only guy to play it.  I like the Pink Panther (Paula Creamer) and used her pink ball.  :)   Again I hope we have the ability to download clothing and other equipment like Links 2003.  We called it avatar in Links as I recall.  

Digital Storm Ryzen 9 3900X/12 core  3.79MHZ/16 gig Ram /  Radeon R5700xt

#3 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:07 AM

Yes, AI, to me, means Artificial Intelligence (the set of actions and reactions programmed into a virtual character), and not the virtual golf puppet, alter ego or avatar itself. 

I'd rather have access to a working game quickly, with just one default player, than having to wait half a year longer for a full set of vanity features and customization options. Perhaps the option to change the colors of the default shoes/trousers/belt/glove/cap would suffice for a start?

EA only invested in game face because they had a large collection of game franchises in which to use them - asking for this degree of customization from PP might be a bridge too far.

By the way, it would be quite 'gauche' not to include a left-handed avatar from the start (gauche = linguistic pun!), so just mirror that golfer model and add it as well. I'm playing right-handed, but TWO never did cater to left-handers and the lefties there used to be very cross and embittered about being treated as a neglectable minority. (A bit like Mac Users not getting their Mac-formatted apps because some genius did not find the one button in Unity that needs to be clicked to make sure of that.)

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#4 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:51 AM

TW's PC Series used Motion Capture for the swing mechanics of the AI/golfer, I know it's been around but was curious if there was something new out there for the motions of the golfer?   Game face is not a big deal to me although it is fun to make your golfer the way you want him/her instead of some dummy/stick man, as your golfer..

What blew me away was the dummy EA came up with for TWO, they went backwards in time...geesh...

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#5 DennisHarris

DennisHarris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • LocationSummerville SC

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:02 PM

I agree AI is artificial Intellegence being a golfers actions.   I had them turned off in TW-08.   I appologize for my off topic earlier post. 

Digital Storm Ryzen 9 3900X/12 core  3.79MHZ/16 gig Ram /  Radeon R5700xt

#6 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:19 PM

No worries, maybe I didn't explain what I meant. In the TigerWoods PC Series IE: 08 and earlier, EA Sports used Motion Capture to imitate a golfers swing... Swing mechanics is what I am talking about. They put on a suit with many sensors then had several golfers go thru their swings and they Captured the Motion and used it for the AI's swing..

Not talking about the stupid way he reacted after he made a putt, I also had them turned off.  

I was just curious how PP is going to handle the Swing of the golfers?

I edited my original post so it is hopefully more understandable.

Thanks

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#7 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:27 PM

No worries, maybe I didn't explain what I meant. In the TigerWoods PC Series IE: 08 and earlier, EA Sports used Motion Capture to imitate a golfers swing... Swing mechanics is what I am talking about. They put on a suit with many sensors then had several golfers go thru their swings and they Captured the Motion and used it for the AI's swing..

Not talking about the stupid way he reacted after he made a putt, I also had them turned off.  

I was just curious how PP is going to handle the Swing of the golfers?

I edited my original post so it is hopefully more understandable.

Thanks

Larry,

I'm sure back on the old forum, there was a reference to a company that Perfect Parallel had signed an agreement with and some of their work involved motion capture.

That said, Joe Harford (think he's still part of the team but we only ever hear from AJ and MJ and have no idea who else is working on what) was working on a scratch built golfer animation. Info on what he was working on can be found at:-

http://www.perfectparallel.com/news.html/_/perfect-golf/golfdevblog/perfectgolf-animation-testing-r26

and also here (which shows Joe's animation work with the golfer skin overlaid):-

http://www.perfectparallel.com/videos.html/_/perfect-golf-intro-r3

;)

#8 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:44 PM

Ahhhh, why thank you Daz, I really appreciate the links.. Good stuff.. :)

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#9 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip