Maineah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationMaine, U.S.A.

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:57 PM

Very new here in course creations..

When Course forge comes out I want to try and replicate my home course-  I would LOVE to be able to import an overhead satellite overlay image to "trace" the outlines of the course, fairways, greens and such-

From my very inexperienced point of view this seems like an easy feature to have?????

thanks for any input-

Maineah

#2 TheLighterDark

TheLighterDark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationFayetteville, AR

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:32 PM

I've heard discussions of things of this nature, but I can't remember where and I couldn't locate them on the website. I'm sure there will be something similar to get your hands on.

TheLighterDark / "William" / University of Arkansas, Fayetteville / 21

Toshiba Satellite S855 / Windows 8 64-bit / Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz / 8.00 GB RAM

n2o7ldH.png

"All the world on one arrow..." - Ashe, The Frost Archer, League of Legends.

#3 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:41 AM

If you look closely at the image below, you can see that this is exactly what they did here.

I'm not into real golf course reconstruction myself, but have many fantasy layouts in JPG format that I'm looking forward to use as templates for the CourseForge. A question in a similar vein would be about scaling: how to make sure that distances on the imported map are the same in the Forge.

Looking forward to play you on your home course, Maineah. If i get an invite.

gallery_443_18_146244.png

• TheLighterDark likes this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#4 TheLighterDark

TheLighterDark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:54 AM

That's absolutely incredible. I saw that picture earlier but really didn't think too much of it because I wasn't paying attention. I'm definitely going to be using this on my home courses. 

Toshiba Satellite S855 / Windows 8 64-bit / Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz / 8.00 GB RAM

n2o7ldH.png

#5 Mav78

Mav78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationNewport, Wales

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:57 AM

Great question. I can see how the plan would work easy enough but I am guessing the topography will have to be set manually, I prefer designing my own courses but if you can 'knock out' a few qucik and easyreal life courses all the better

#6 Maineah

Maineah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationMaine, U.S.A.

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:58 AM

@K11-

that's exactly what i'm looking for- As far as the scaling thing, I believe Google Earth gives the elevation of the "view" - I think that would be close enough to get the general outlines of the course and location of greens...

You'll get an invite alright, hope we can have a match there this year... :-)

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:45 AM

Our Course Forge converter will have a feature to select the area of the world you are interested in in Bing maps and will create an overhead and heightmap for you to import into course forge, fully aligned and ready to go.

• Bluenoser, Unique, Stephen Sullivan and 3 others like this

#8 Davefevs

Davefevs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:41 PM

Wow. That may mean my local might actually be possible!

#9 TheLighterDark

TheLighterDark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:01 PM

Our Course Forge converter will have a feature to select the area of the world you are interested in in Bing maps and will create an overhead and heightmap for you to import into course forge, fully aligned and ready to go.

Please tell me this isn't limited to only Bing Maps.

n2o7ldH.png

#10 Maineah

Maineah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationMaine, U.S.A.

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:35 PM

Droooool..... cant wait to try tis out.

By heightmap do you mean i will get the heights of the hills and valleys of my course im replicating?

#11 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:13 AM

I think it would be gr8 if there could be a way to actually turn the entire plot while you are working on it.. The TW's CA can't do that and sometimes it can be tough working on a hole when your looking at it from the green to the tee, instead of from tee to green... Anyone who has worked with TigerWoods CA knows what I mean... It's like your working backwards in many cases...

Be nice to turn it sideways to so that your always facing forwards, with the work right in front of you...Just a thought..

Gr8 that you will be able to import from Bing Maps as they always seem to have the clearest maps and you can't do that with the  Terrain Assist program that was created to work with  the Tigerwoods CA, that only works with Google Maps which aren't as clear...

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#12 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:32 AM

Here's another example for satellite images into Forge. Not sure about the course displayed, might be Royal Lytham & St. Annes, venue of the 2012 Open. 

Homes_03.jpg

And while I'm rehearsing posting images here, this is what I would like to start with as soon as the CourseForge hits my PC: A slopy and narrow woodlands course, lots of elevation changes, which I call "Maitland's Neck" TM.

For those who want to play it in their heads, the 1st hole is the one pointing North and then NE in the center (follow the car paths from there) and the predominant wind always blows from the South East.

%2AMaitlands%20Neck.jpg.opt850x647o0%2C0

What I would like to know, though, is this: How will I be able to make sure that one yard on this Photoshop layout (the grid squares are 10yds each, btw), will match one yard inside the Course Forge???

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

<<<<<

#13 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:24 AM

I think it would be gr8 if there could be a way to actually turn the entire plot while you are working on it.. The TW's CA can't do that and sometimes it can be tough working on a hole when your looking at it from the green to the tee, instead of from tee to green... Anyone who has worked with TigerWoods CA knows what I mean... It's like your working backwards in many cases...
Be nice to turn it sideways to so that your always facing forwards, with the work right in front of you...Just a thought..

Gr8 that you will be able to import from Bing Maps as they always seem to have the clearest maps and you can't do that with the Terrain Assist program that was created to work with the Tigerwoods CA, that only works with Google Maps which aren't as clear...

A,
I would think working on the entire plot in Course Forge will be possible, as will working on holes from whatever viewpoint you want.
This was possible in Links 2003's APCD, as you basically had all the holes laid out in the designer and you could work in whichever hole you wanted and from whatever viewpoint you preferred. So as your course developed and the tees, fairways and greens were added, and bunkers put in, you would see the whole course taking shape and not just be limited to one hole at a time.
Attached image from their Facebook site....

#14 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:19 PM

Dazmaniac, in TW's CA you can work on any hole you want also and you can see the entire plot also, you just can't turn the plot so that you are facing whatever direction you want to face. I have never worked with the links CA, just the Tigerwoods Course Architect...

You could work on 1 hole, 2 holes or any hole and you can see the entire plot in front of you and you have a camera that you can move to any height and angle, just can't turn the plot..

Peace

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#15 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:26 PM

Here is an example of a plot I am finishing up right now.. I can zoom in to ground level and have a camera with many angles, I just can't turn the plot so each hole that I work on, I have to work on it while I'm looking at it like this...

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#16 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:34 PM

now any work I do on say this hole, I have to do, while looking at it from this view, again, can't turn the plot so that the hole, is facing north to south...

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#17 Brucey Mc

Brucey Mc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationTeesside, UK #UTB

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:06 PM

In unity you can adjust your viewing angle so I guess you would do this to get the view you were wanting.

#18 Nannu Joe

Nannu Joe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:59 PM

Anticipation is killing me!

Perhaps when Course Forge converter is released someone can put out “Course Forge for Dummies” shortly after.  :)

• Davefevs likes this

#19 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:03 PM

Anticipation is killing me!

Perhaps when Course Forge converter is released someone can put out “Course Forge for Dummies” shortly after.  :)

AJ has stated that they will be working on some 'Wiki' style documentation that users will be able to refer to for assistance.

As for when both the Course Forge and the Wiki instructions will be available, I think we need to see how long the piece of string is, lol.

#20 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:09 PM

Should happen soon; what with the new website up and TWO in its death throws, that's just what's needed to add momentum. Of course, once the Forge is out, it won't be long until we need a matching game to go with it and to test-drive our designs. 

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users