#1 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 17 July 2015 - 11:26 AM

For anyone who plays both PG and TGC, I have just released my latest course, Chudleigh Golf Club. You can check out a few screen shots here:

http://www.hb-studios.com/forum/index.php?topic=11785.0

• catflap likes this
life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#2 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 11:35 AM

Looks very nice. Great work. I'll give it a try when I get home from holiday.
Steam Name: n.bonaparte
WWG1WGA

#3 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 11:40 AM

I checked out the screenshots Lez, looks really nice.  Congrats!    I guess you have the course editor nailed down as the details look wonderful.  I have not played TGC in quite some time, but may have to reinstall just to give this a go.     Nice job. 

Looking at your sig, looks like you have a bunch of courses already made!  

#4 Kimmer1947

Kimmer1947

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 12:32 PM

I've never played at TGC, but those screen shots look fantastic. Hopefully this course will come to PG sometime in the future. For me, these screenshots have that "wow" factor.

I certainly admire/envy your creative talent as well as all of the course designers.

#5 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 17 July 2015 - 03:12 PM

Looking good Lez, nice job.

The 'Tree Clone' brigade at LinksCorner would have a field day with some of those pics though, lol.

:D

#6 MERACE

MERACE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 02:29 PM

As I posted on the TGC forums, I really like how your courses are relaxing but challenging enough to keep me engaged with my round.

Your courses are also very realistic no matter what theme they are created in.  I especially like this newest course created in the Boreal theme as it resembles some of the courses that I have played in northern Michigan.

I'm looking forward to more of your courses in TGC and hopefully in PG.  :)

-MERACE

#7 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 18 July 2015 - 08:12 PM

I like to create realistic courses that can be played with a little thought, but don't demand it to be an enjoyable experience. IMO, far too many courses created for video golf games are too contrived in their construction, with split fairways, multiple choice paths to the green, blocking trees, bunkers positioned in every landing zone etc. etc. I like my golf to be relaxing. I also play without aids, so these style courses are particularly difficult for me to navigate around. If I wanted to spend hours working out every move then I would play chess, not golf. That's not to say that there is no place for strategy, but I believe you can still incorporate it subtly into a standard style golf course without the need to resort to excessive 'video golf' novelty. This approach does make it really hard to make courses that stand out among the many tens of thousands though.

Of course, after saying all this I'll probably surprise myself on my next design by venturing into pure fantasy!! I get bored if I don't keep evolving. :lol:

• IanK likes this

#8 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 18 July 2015 - 08:15 PM

As I posted on the TGC forums, I really like how your courses are relaxing but challenging enough to keep me engaged with my round.

Your courses are also very realistic no matter what theme they are created in.  I especially like this newest course created in the Boreal theme as it resembles some of the courses that I have played in northern Michigan.

I'm looking forward to more of your courses in TGC and hopefully in PG.  :)

-MERACE

Lez had a knack of creating some cracking courses for Links 2003 and it seems he has carried his skills in to TGC, which can only be good for their community. Sadly it is a game I no longer play.

;)

#9 karma4u

karma4u

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 July 2015 - 10:16 PM

This is such a truly realistic looking and playing course, i love it....again, well done...absolute beauty   :)

Antec p100

i7@ 3.4..win 10-64bit..16gb ram..EVGA gtx970 FTW..4gb..ACX 2.0....Corsair HX750w & hydro cooler..

Gsync..2560x1440..144 hz..1ms 

#10 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 19 July 2015 - 05:44 PM

Lez had a knack of creating some cracking courses for Links 2003 and it seems he has carried his skills in to TGC, which can only be good for their community. Sadly it is a game I no longer play.

With Links 2003 I was fortunate in joining the party very late - it had become a small community and so it was relatively easy to be noticed as a designer. With TGC it is a totally different story, and I am just an 'also ran' among a vast army of talented designers. My courses are overlooked by the majority of TGC players, although a couple of top designers have commented on the quality of my work, and the main tour site have also used two of the four courses I submitted to them as tour venues, so my work is appreciated by a few people in the know!  :lol:

In general though, the average TGC player does not view me as a top designer and that is unlikely to change in the future. Fortunately, these days I'm not so bothered as I would have been a few years ago. I enjoy designing as much as I enjoy playing, so I guess I will just carry on enjoying the process, even if the feedback and plays I get are very limited. In fact, none of the ex-Links designers seems to have made much of an impression in TGC, maybe because the audience is generally more arcade based and less routed in realism. At least I have had the advantage of my Links history to convince a few TGC players to try my courses - many new designers are likely to go completely unnoticed and may well give up before reaching their potential as designers. This is perhaps the biggest failing of having such a fantastically easy course designer to use - it is over saturating the market with more courses than anyone could hope to play, and this forces many players to just stick to a few established, and HB recommended designers while ignoring the rest.

I think PG course designers will have a much easier time of it - especially at the beginning, than most of the TGC designers are having now!!  ;)

#11 MERACE

MERACE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 10:22 PM

This is perhaps the biggest failing of having such a fantastically easy course designer to use - it is over saturating the market with more courses than anyone could hope to play, and this forces many players to just stick to a few established, and HB recommended designers while ignoring the rest.
I think PG course designers will have a much easier time of it - especially at the beginning, than most of the TGC designers are having now!! ;)[/quote]

Among the preferred TGC designers there are probably also some newbies that may not have ever attempted to publish a course if not for the ease of use.

I'm hoping that when CF is released to the public it will also be relatively easy to use (without a course generator).

-MERACE

#12 Kelson64

Kelson64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 03:14 AM

I agree with Merace. TGC has more courses than anyone could ever hope to play. I generally only play the courses that my trusted friends have completed a round on. I figure if they've completed a round, it must be decent enough to play.

However, I must be honest when I say this . . the quality of courses have severely dipped in the last couple of months.  It's not that these courses are thrown together. Actually, you can tell that the designers spent considerable time on the design. But in order to challenge people who have mastered the game, they have completely thrown any kind of realism out the window. Far too many of TGC's new courses border on the ridiculous, in my opinion.

• IanK likes this

#13 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 11:57 AM

I still occasionally play TGC but much prefer using their course creator which is fun to use and gives nice results.
I used to post quite frequently on the HB forum asking for a more difficult/simulator mode but it seemed that the majority of players were more than happy to score in the mid to low 50s. A certain member on the HB forum, who had a small band of loyal followers, (including the devs) always put down any attempt to change the difficulty of the game so I stopped posting. I believe that this particular individual no longer uses the forum so there is hope that the game might change.
WWG1WGA

#14 MERACE

MERACE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 08:41 PM

A certain member on the HB forum, who had a small band of loyal followers, (including the devs) always put down any attempt to change the difficulty of the game so I stopped posting. I believe that this particular individual no longer uses the forum so there is hope that the game might change.

He's back. ;)

I'll continue to beat the drum on the TGC forums for multiple swing difficulty options. :)

-MERACE
  • IanK likes this

#15 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 09:49 PM

He's back. ;)

Well I'll be jiggered!
WWG1WGA

#16 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 11:34 AM

Lez is one of my favorite course designers for Links 2003!    At one point, my friends and family did a "Lez Course Tour" and played his courses exclusively... one right after another.  

We continued this trend with Jones, Seaman, Miller, McCoist and a few others I can't think of right now.   Some really good stuff by all of these guys STILL has people playing Links 2003..  including me!   :D

#17 FixAmer1st

FixAmer1st

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • LocationSun City Center, FL

Posted 24 July 2015 - 09:32 PM

I agree, and he is sorely missed at Links 2003 sites.

Jerry

Links Golf
CPU_Match_Play_Tour.jpg
CPU_Director_2013.jpg
Administrator of KISS Tours

Dell XPS Desktop
4th Generation Intel Core i7-4790 @ 4.0 GHz
16 GB DDR3 Memory
Win7 64 bit Home Premium
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 4GB
1TB SATA HardDrive

#18 pingzing