14 replies to this topic

#1 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 01:07 PM

With the CourseForge finding it way onto our PCs within 3 to 11 weeks (Andrew'ss ETA), here's a few more little questions I have. For many of them, a simple yes or no will be a sufficient answer.

1. Tee Areas

1.2. How many tee categories can we create? 3, 4, 5 or more? Champion to Junior? Can we name them as we want?

1.1. Will we have the option to define different tee positions for each category? So, instead of a fixed location for, say, the ladies tee, will we be able to define, say, a forward, middle and back position? Or a larger area within which tees are placed randomly?

1.3. Will the players get to place their ball on the tee, to give themselves a slightly better angle for their shot? If so, we would need to know this now to factor it into our tee area designs (breadth/width) and its position.

2. Terrain

2.1. What is the recommended Terrain Shader for the CourseForge? With or without normal (bump) map?

2.2. Are there any collision settings to observe?

2.3. Non-Course-Forge-Textures: Will be able to assign preset physics settings to them? (Long grass, mud, rock, dry ground...etc?)

2.4. Does CF require an Unity Terrain to work on - or can other terrain data, even 3D meshes with textures, be imported from other terrain creation softwares to serve as a terrain and will the CF work on them, too? 

3. Tee 2 Green

3.1. Will we get to mark hazard areas like O.O.B, lateral water, even G-U-R appropriately? Preferably by drawing a line on the ground with CF placing all the little markers itself?

3.2. For par 3's adjecent to water - Can we create and assign drop zones if the player finds water from the tee?

3.3. Most courses place small distance clues, either sticks, saplings or rocks at both sides of the FW, marking 150/100/50 yds to the center of the green. Some also give the distance left on sprinkler heads. This may be vital for expert mode players playing without any helpers. Does CF provide for an automated option or will we have to do this manually (requiring a tape measure, btw).

3.4. Talking of sprinklers, and I know this is wicked wild, could there be, eventually and well further down the road, an irrigation system that will activate sprinklers during a round?

3.5. Walls and fences. I asked if there was a way to build walls and fences sometime back in January and the answer was "No, not at this stage". Yet since then we saw the image of the  Lake Bulkheads, which basically are some sort of wall (or a path desgin tool with assigned 3D segments which might double as a wall tool). So I ask again: Can we design walls and fences now?

4. On the Green

4.1.  We saw the 3 categories easy, medium and expert on old screen caps. Is this still valid? How many pins per categories do we get to plant? (Usually it's 4, for 4 day events). So is it still 3 x 4?

4.2. Will the Forge provide any help when placing pins, like...

• A visual overlay that shows spots with too much slope for a pin to be placed on

• Dropping a virtual ball on a spot to see how steep a slope is and at what angle it runs - by watching the ball roll away.

5. Audio

Audio is a vital part of any audiovisual medium (it's worth exactly half, actually) so the audio design is part of the job of course creation. Unity has some in-built audio features and these may be all that we need. Still, beyond these...

5.1. Will the Course Forge contain audio files for general ambient sounds?

5.2. Will CF contain the ability to define localised audio zones and to import matching audio files for them, like birdsong, higway traffic, bubbling brooks, crickets, etc...

6. Customizing Templates

I do realize how much, truly Titanic work comes with creating the 100's of templates needed for a course design software: Ground textures, trees and plants, mesh objects etc... Yet advanced design will always require designing beyond the templates. Not much, maybe just altering the color a bit here and changing the aspect there.. not necessarily leading to a better result, but possibly to a unique design.

6.1. Will the CF surface textures be customizable inside the CourseForge: Choosing another color, for example, altering the depth of the bump map, changing the tiling (to the same degree as textures imported into Unity are customizable)?

6.2. Will we be able to customize 3D meshes outside the CourseForge? Like with the bulwarks, if I would rather have a stone wall instead, could I import a self-made stone wall mesh and replace the CF template of the bulwark with it?

My modest experience with Unity tells me that all of this should be possible. My concern is that by exporting, altering and re-importing templates some of the specific CF-functionality might be affected: Collisions, physics, etc... I would like to know if that's the case.

(Also, my first CF project will use CF-templates exclusively)

7. Mac?

Yeah, you know what this is about. It better be.. So: Mac?

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#2 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:54 PM

With the CourseForge finding it way onto our PCs within 3 to 11 weeks (Andrew'ss ETA), here's a few more little questions I have. For many of them, a simple yes or no will be a sufficient answer.

1. Tee Areas

1.2. How many tee categories can we create? 3, 4, 5 or more? Champion to Junior? Can we name them as we want?

At least 6 and not at the moment

1.1. Will we have the option to define different tee positions for each category? So, instead of a fixed location for, say, the ladies tee, will we be able to define, say, a forward, middle and back position? Or a larger area within which tees are placed randomly?

No random tees, they will be placed where you place them

1.3. Will the players get to place their ball on the tee, to give themselves a slightly better angle for their shot? If so, we would need to know this now to factor it into our tee area designs (breadth/width) and its position.

I know this is planned

2. Terrain

2.1. What is the recommended Terrain Shader for the CourseForge? With or without normal (bump) map?

Whichever you prefer although bump mapping with grass textures doesn't work too well

2.2. Are there any collision settings to observe?

This should be automatic however physics is still under development

2.3. Non-Course-Forge-Textures: Will be able to assign preset physics settings to them? (Long grass, mud, rock, dry ground...etc?)

Not currently - see above

2.4. Does CF require an Unity Terrain to work on - or can other terrain data, even 3D meshes with textures, be imported from other terrain creation softwares to serve as a terrain and will the CF work on them, too? 

Yes, requires a terrain

3. Tee 2 Green

3.1. Will we get to mark hazard areas like O.O.B, lateral water, even G-U-R appropriately? Preferably by drawing a line on the ground with CF placing all the little markers itself?

3.2. For par 3's adjecent to water - Can we create and assign drop zones if the player finds water from the tee?

3.3. Most courses place small distance clues, either sticks, saplings or rocks at both sides of the FW, marking 150/100/50 yds to the center of the green. Some also give the distance left on sprinkler heads. This may be vital for expert mode players playing without any helpers. Does CF provide for an automated option or will we have to do this manually (requiring a tape measure, btw).

3.4. Talking of sprinklers, and I know this is wicked wild, could there be, eventually and well further down the road, an irrigation system that will activate sprinklers during a round?

3.5. Walls and fences. I asked if there was a way to build walls and fences sometime back in January and the answer was "No, not at this stage". Yet since then we saw the image of the  Lake Bulkheads, which basically are some sort of wall (or a path desgin tool with assigned 3D segments which might double as a wall tool). So I ask again: Can we design walls and fences now?

It's preferable to build 3d objects inside a dedicated 3d modelling program and import into unity

4. On the Green

4.1.  We saw the 3 categories easy, medium and expert on old screen caps. Is this still valid? How many pins per categories do we get to plant? (Usually it's 4, for 4 day events). So is it still 3 x 4?

Not sure of maximum at this point, I would like to keep the number reasonable as in real life there are rarely more than 5 or 6 pinnable portions on a green. APCD had 18 pins which lead to inadequate testing and many unplayable pin positions. 

4.2. Will the Forge provide any help when placing pins, like...

• A visual overlay that shows spots with too much slope for a pin to be placed on

• Dropping a virtual ball on a spot to see how steep a slope is and at what angle it runs - by watching the ball roll away.

Probably pins will be tested via course playtesting at this stage however I have previously suggested an indicator in CF to help with this.

5. Audio

Audio is a vital part of any audiovisual medium (it's worth exactly half, actually) so the audio design is part of the job of course creation. Unity has some in-built audio features and these may be all that we need. Still, beyond these...

5.1. Will the Course Forge contain audio files for general ambient sounds?

5.2. Will CF contain the ability to define localised audio zones and to import matching audio files for them, like birdsong, higway traffic, bubbling brooks, crickets, etc...

As to sounds, Unity has an extremely good sound system so there is no need for us to develop this aspect further at this stage.

6. Customizing Templates

I do realize how much, truly Titanic work comes with creating the 100's of templates needed for a course design software: Ground textures, trees and plants, mesh objects etc... Yet advanced design will always require designing beyond the templates. Not much, maybe just altering the color a bit here and changing the aspect there.. not necessarily leading to a better result, but possibly to a unique design.

No templates planned as its very quick to draw shapes and I don't see the point, however there will be default texture libraries to get you started.

6.1. Will the CF surface textures be customizable inside the CourseForge: Choosing another color, for example, altering the depth of the bump map, changing the tiling (to the same degree as textures imported into Unity are customizable)?

There will be additional texture options in CF in addition to Unity functionality.

6.2. Will we be able to customize 3D meshes outside the CourseForge? Like with the bulwarks, if I would rather have a stone wall instead, could I import a self-made stone wall mesh and replace the CF template of the bulwark with it?

You can import whatever 3d object you like into Unity and perhaps add them to a community library to share with others. This is what we would hope for and we will try and support the people who do this with rewards in game.

My modest experience with Unity tells me that all of this should be possible. My concern is that by exporting, altering and re-importing templates some of the specific CF-functionality might be affected: Collisions, physics, etc... I would like to know if that's the case.

(Also, my first CF project will use CF-templates exclusively)

7. Mac?

Yeah, you know what this is about. It better be.. So: Mac?

'The Volker'  :D 

• karma4u and shimonko like this

#3 mjhamilton113

mjhamilton113

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationLincoln, RI

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:42 AM

Thanks Mike for answering all of those questions. That was a lot of insight

#4 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:32 AM

Yup, that did help a lot, thanks Mike.

Provided I ever manage to create objects that are worthy of sharing, I'm totally on board with the idea of a "Community Library", even without any rewards in-game. 

WTF does "The Volker" mean? Honestly, I have no idea.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

<<<<<

#5 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:46 PM

Got me too.

Only reference I know to 'The Volker' is:-

The Volker
A mixed drink consisting of Sprite, Jose Cuervo and beer (especially Budweiser). The Jose Cuervo must be mixed with the Sprite beforehand and then the beer poured in after you start drinking it.

:unsure:

#6 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:40 AM

Thanks Daz. I googled it but that's about all I got, too. "Volker" ist also a first name for german males. I still don't get the message...

Must be some sort of obscure US culture reference that eludes us Mac-using Central Europeans.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#7 Brucey Mc

Brucey Mc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationTeesside, UK #UTB

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:52 AM

Except Mike Jones sounds like he is from Lancashire!

#8 Unique

Unique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland, Australia

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:18 PM

Is there any plans for the future in helping CF users to gather data from maps outside the US?

Peter

#9 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:31 AM

Hey Peter, I'm sure we'll be trying to support data from as many places as possible. 

#10 Unique

Unique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland, Australia

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:52 AM

Thanks Mike :D No pressure mate, just wondering.

#11 Erik Lugris

Erik Lugris

Founder, CEO

• Administrators
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:44 PM

The terrain Importer will allow you to create unity terrains from other data sources. So if you have an ASCII terrain file you can create a unity terrain file from that.  Right now I use Global Mapper to convert from Lidar LAS files to XYZ and then use Terrain Importer to create the Unity Heightmaps.  My goal for terrain Importer long term is to be able to load LAS files directly but its a long term goal.  Right now we wanted to create something that can create Unity Terrain files from ASCII, APCD, US Maps, Bing and Grid.   

• Unique and IanD like this

Erik M. Lugris

Founder

Perfect Parallel, Inc.

#12 karma4u

karma4u

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 October 2013 - 12:31 AM

Woot........Mike, Eric you guys have me so excited and i just can't hide it...........lol.......Kidding, but i am looking forward to a game, that i think could be totally awesome. 

Antec p100

i7@ 3.4..win 10-64bit..16gb ram..EVGA gtx970 FTW..4gb..ACX 2.0....Corsair HX750w & hydro cooler..

Gsync..2560x1440..144 hz..1ms 

#13 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 20 October 2013 - 04:31 PM

Just a question on possible gameplay effects.

Are PP considering applying environmental characteristics based on altitude of the course to maintain the realism that is seemingly being strived for? Some course like Crans Sur Sierre and Castle Pines are played at altitudes where the ball travels further through the air than at sea level.

#14 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:37 AM

Daz, that should be easy enough to implement: Just one variable to add at the beginning of the equation. But why stop there? We all know that golf balls travel a bit more in hot conditions and less in colder wheather. Humidity and air pressure also affect distance. Not to mention rain. Most of this could be included and adjusted in-game - except the altitude, which the course designer would have to set in the CourseForge.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#15 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:15 PM

And this relates back to having some more variables available regarding the CF, relating to the Course itself. I'm not sure many golfers would want to dabble too much with the ingame variations, unless they were following a Tournament Setup, where they all play the fixed settings. However, why not allow the CF to also have those settings to allow the designer to decide whether he wants his course subject to some of these adjustments..

Personally, if I design a course, I don't want someone messing with the fairway speed or greens speeds outside of the limits I'd allow when designing it.

It doesn't appear, through previous discussions surrounding this, I'm getting what I want... so I think we need to be careful around these requests. If a course is designed and locked... what is it actually locked for, if those playing it can achieve far different results than the designer actually wants.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users