#1 Vernon520

Vernon520

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • LocationWestcliff-on-Sea, Essex. U.K

Posted 29 August 2015 - 10:11 AM

I know that what I am about to suggest may not go down too well with everybody who owns Perfect Golf and that the subject may have already been raised by other posters but here goes anyway.

As I understand it Perfect Parallel have 70 top courses in the locker, so to speak, from their work done for Sky and ESNP.

I was wondering whether it would be a viable proposition to get a couple of courses licensed, say Augusta and St. Andrews, and offer them as DLC's in the very near future.

I would be only too pleased to be able to purchase such courses before the release date and I'm sure so would many others.

I haven't a clue how much a license for these courses would cost but if it is viable then why not?

Extra funding is always welcome and this could be a good way of doing it.

• ✠ davef ✠, karma4u and Vernon520 like this

#2 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts
  • LocationCouncil Bluffs, Ia

Posted 29 August 2015 - 10:34 AM

you know i have noticed a few of the devs in the lobby playing Muirfield Village. so i would think

that is already in the works.

CUK Mantis Gamer PC (Liquid Cooled Intel Core i9,10 Core                            MSI GF75 Thin 17" Laptop

32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD                                                          I5 8GB Ram GTX1650 

NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB OC, 600W PSU, AC WiFi, Windows 11                           144 Hz Windows 11

VIOTEK 35" CURVED  144HZ-200HZ OC MONITOR

Seagate 4TB External Hard Drive

Klipsch Sound System

BENCHMARKS-https://www.userbenc...serRun/38611652  

#3 blueblood1995

blueblood1995

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 29 August 2015 - 01:07 PM

Likewise... I would have no issue paying a moderate sum for PGA Tour type courses that have been created for live broadcast.
Not sure I understand the counter-argument of "why should we pay"?
PP development team are clearly making an effort to listen to their customer base to create a game we will all enjoy for many years to come. What I am sure is that a larger software house would not take into consideration the comments from so many.
I have an XBox One and purchased the EA Rory McIlroy PGA Tour golf game. Let me say it is utter rubbish in comparison to PG. I wasn't expecting much but what was delivered was well below expectation.
  • ✠ davef ✠ likes this

iMac (late 2012)

3.4 GHz Intel Core i7

8GB 1600 MHz DDR3

27-inch display (2560 x 1440)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048MB

OS X Yosemite 10.10.5

#4 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSurfside Beach SC

Posted 29 August 2015 - 01:21 PM

I would pay right now to have access to Augusta National on PG. I have no problem paying for a quality golf course with the quality of game we have here.
  • Vernon520 likes this

#5 Vernon520

Vernon520

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 01:48 PM

you know i have noticed a few of the devs in the lobby playing Muirfield Village. so i would think

that is already in the works.

Yeah I've seen Mike showing Muirfield myself, another decent course course.

#6 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 29 August 2015 - 02:02 PM

Yep, seen plenty of their virtual courses on the Sky Sports coverage, including Plainfield CC this week.

I often raise a smile when I see folks posting about PP maybe offering up DLC in the way of courses in the future and what they may charge, and for some a few dollars even seems too high.

I would pay for extra courses, I buy DLC and Season Passes for a lot of games I play, but I'm sure PP's would be a lot cheaper than what I used to pay in the early 90's for the official course disks that used to get released for Links 386 Pro. I can remember heading to my nearest computer games stockist in Sheffield that had the Links 386 Pro courses and paying £35 for 3 or 4 3.5" floppy disks with just one course on, lol.
  • Hammerfest and Greensboronclion like this

#7 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 02:06 PM

Not sure if the 70 courses are playable in the existing format or if they need to be developed further?

I would be willing to pay for licensed courses as well.  I bought many of the P2P Links 2003 courses and still enjoy them immensely, and those weren't even licensed actual courses, just user created. 

There were also incredible recreations of real courses and countless fictional courses that were free and enjoyed by the Links community thanks to the hard work and generosity of the creators (some of those courses I would have also paid for)

Being solely a player and not a course designer, I accept that I am at the mercy of what other people create for free or for purchase.  That's the reality. 

#8 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 29 August 2015 - 02:24 PM

I'd certainly not mind paying for official courses.

I'm guessing that it will likely come down to licensing issues though.

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#9 trailblazergolf

trailblazergolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Locationflorida

Posted 29 August 2015 - 02:25 PM

well--as I have posted many times in various  discussions --paying a fee for quality courses , I have no problem with . when I played links 2003 I bought a lot of courses--think I got all of mike jones's courses--I like getting packages of courses 4 to 6 courses -----long as price is in my budget $3.00 a course maybe $4.00 for super quality courses  :) :) :) :) :) :)

#10 wooffer

wooffer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 02:39 PM

I am not certain what "DLC" or official courses means. I really don't care if the course is called "Magnolia Garden" or "xyz pines"  a package of courses with any names would be fine with me. As has been the case, EVERYTHING  related to this game has been unbelievably low priced and whatever the developers want to charge, It will be a bargain.  Please, release us some courses soon.  Any members who don't want to purchase them do not have to.

• ✠ davef ✠ likes this

#11 Vernon520

Vernon520

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 03:27 PM

I am not certain what "DLC" or official courses means. I really don't care if the course is called "Magnolia Garden" or "xyz pines"  a package of courses with any names would be fine with me. As has been the case, EVERYTHING  related to this game has been unbelievably low priced and whatever the developers want to charge, It will be a bargain.  Please, release us some courses soon.  Any members who don't want to purchase them do not have to.

DLC stands for downloadable content and official courses are courses that are regulated by the PGA and require a license or fee to represent the course in other formats such as video games.

#12 J_Schollmeyer

J_Schollmeyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 August 2015 - 04:59 PM

I also would like to have more real courses to play and wouldn't mind to pay for courses made by PP, but I'm afraid they don't release further courses before the final release because it's a huge effort to update the courses after they made changes to Perfect Golf or Course Forge.

Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz

4GB RAM

Samsung SSD 840 Series

ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series (1GB RAM)

Samsung SyncMaster T260HD & T2770 (Resolution: 1920 x 1200)

Windows 7 (64 Bit)

#13 Vernon520

Vernon520

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 05:42 PM

I also would like to have more real courses to play and wouldn't mind to pay for courses made by PP, but I'm afraid they don't release further courses before the final release because it's a huge effort to update the courses after they made changes to Perfect Golf or Course Forge.

My reasons for starting this discussion was to see if there was enough consensus for PP to even contemplate the suggestion. I would like to get a developers opinion on the subject and to clarify whether the idea is viable or not.

#14 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,594 posts
  • LocationWest End, Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Posted 29 August 2015 - 08:58 PM

If Perfect Golf is going to become 'the best golf sim out there' AND it's going to cost $60 for the final release wouldn't that income from a world-wide market create enough cash flow to make it unnecessary to charge for DLC? If the release version (and subsequent releases with improvements across the board) included great courses then it's popularity and, therefore, the profits would be huge. PP don't think that it's a static market - surely.

It's OK to charge for DLC if PG was a Free2Play model but it ain't. 

• Tigers Agent likes this

#15 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 29 August 2015 - 09:03 PM

If Perfect Golf is going to become 'the best golf sim out there' AND it's going to cost $60 for the final release wouldn't that income from a world-wide market create enough cash flow to make it unnecessary to charge for DLC? If the release version (and subsequent releases with improvements across the board) included great courses then it's popularity and, therefore, the profits would be huge. PP don't think that it's a static market - surely.

It's OK to charge for DLC if PG was a Free2Play model but it ain't.

There's a whole lot of assumptions baked in there.

I think the point of this thread is whether this portion of the PG community is willing to pay for additional courses.

It's not our job to make assumptions about the profits that PG will make.
  • ed dawson likes this

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#16 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 09:24 PM

They will be rich! Rich as kings! 

Kidding aside...

The problem with assuming that the initial cost of the game would cover continuous DLC is that it doesn't address new course licensing fees and ongoing fees (if those exist) as time goes on. 

As the years go by and the various professional tours go to new and different venues, people will want to play those courses.  How long do you expect our initial purchase to keep us supplied with quality licensed courses? 

DLC would be entirely appropriate. 

Also, there's likely to be some really really amazing versions of Tour courses that are user created and therefore you will have a choice. 

#17 Vernon520

Vernon520

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 10:03 PM

They will be rich! Rich as kings! 

Kidding aside...

The problem with assuming that the initial cost of the game would cover continuous DLC is that it doesn't address new course licensing fees and ongoing fees (if those exist) as time goes on. 

As the years go by and the various professional tours go to new and different venues, people will want to play those courses.  How long do you expect our initial purchase to keep us supplied with quality licensed courses? 

DLC would be entirely appropriate. 

Also, there's likely to be some really really amazing versions of Tour courses that are user created and therefore you will have a choice. 

Re: PP copy of tour courses. Yes, they are very good and without doubt will continue to be so but recreations are not authentic and neither are they 100% accurate. This can only be fully achieved by laser scanning the courses, that way you get an accurate representation of the course; this means they will probably need a license to carry it out. Both the license and the scanning will cost money that they will need to recuperate.

#18 JoeF

JoeF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Ontario, Canada

Posted 29 August 2015 - 10:12 PM

Re: PP copy of tour courses. Yes, they are very good and without doubt will continue to be so but recreations are not authentic and neither are they 100% accurate. This can only be fully achieved by laser scanning the courses, that way you get an accurate representation of the course; this means they will probably need a license to carry it out. Both the license and the scanning will cost money that they will need to recuperate.

Like PP's version of Augusta for use by Sky Sports in their broadcasts of the Masters, accurate to 2 cm (<1").   :)

• RobV likes this

Intel i5-4570 cpu @ 3.2 GHz, ASUS Z74-K mb, ASUS GeForce GTX 960 gpu, 16 GB ram, 2 x SSD drives, Windows 10 64 bit

Steam name: sound_flier

#19 Sinewiz

Sinewiz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationMichigan U.S.A.

Posted 29 August 2015 - 10:25 PM

Like PP's version of Augusta for use by Sky Sports in their broadcasts of the Masters, accurate to 2 cm (<1").   :)

Absolutely correct. Good luck getting more accurate data than what PP is working with. ;)

Lakes of Taylor Golf Course

Links at Gateway Golf Club

#20 karma4u

karma4u

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 29 August 2015 - 10:37 PM

I agree with the OP and i also hope that Mike, Andrew, et al. get as "rich as kings" from this game..........Cheers  :)

Antec p100

i7@ 3.4..win 10-64bit..16gb ram..EVGA gtx970 FTW..4gb..ACX 2.0....Corsair HX750w & hydro cooler..

Gsync..2560x1440..144 hz..1ms 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users