#1 Mav78

Mav78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationNewport, Wales

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:00 AM

When the game is finally released are there any plans to create some kind of league or ladder system for a bit of competition? I used to enjoy the old cases ladder on links, even if spent too much time reporting losses I think with a bit of competition it makes things more interesting. Its a bit premature I know but I was wondering peoples thoughts on the game playing side of things and not just course forge.

#2 Davefevs

Davefevs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 30 November 2013 - 01:18 PM

AJ has mentioned some kind of Country Club, that people can set up to have their own tournies etc.

#3 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 02:14 PM

Excerpt from this (quite old) topic that can be found here

Q: Will there be rankings or ladders with aggregated stats to keep track of player performance?

A: No thoughts although goal is to have full stat tracking

It's not recent, but still the lastet word on this topic

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#4 Mav78

Mav78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationNewport, Wales

Posted 30 November 2013 - 05:16 PM

okey doke thanks very much

#5 vfe

vfe

Mac Overlord

• Administrators
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 05:17 PM

Yeah, there's currently no plan to have a "Global" ranking system, only relative systems(i.e. within a country club, which is analogous to a guild/clan/etc in other game genres), or within your friends, etc.

Which isn't to say we won't consider one in the future(it'd be relatively easy to create since we're collecting stats on almost everything anyways). But that'd be more a result of player demand.

My personal opinion, not speaking for PP as a whole here. I don't see a whole lot of value in global rankings, most people only really care about how well they do relative to people they know. In some ways I find it a little depressing to play games at a very high level, and see that my score(or whatever) is dwarfed by some guy who plays 20hours a day everyday. Something that's just impossible for most people to compare against. Just my thoughts.

• Perculator likes this

#6 JoeBradley

JoeBradley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:50 PM

From my experience of playing Links since 1998, I do know that I need regular weekly tournaments as an incentive to play. Online lobby games are the most fun, but I can rarely fit those inte my work schedule, so those offline tourneys are the next best thing. Hope there will be something like that.

#7 Jim Boags

Jim Boags

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationWoodford QLD Australia

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:08 PM

Agree with past posts, Global ranking systems, not a great deal of value there, however in offline CM a ranking system, of sorts, is far better value. With this I see that the CM players and a ranking system integrated within the current form players IRL.

For exanple, if I'm playing a CM in a off line mode the last thing we need is Nick Faldo (no offence Nick) the leading money winner. It would make it far more interesting, say, if Tiger was the form player in the world then he would be the number one player in your offline CM or there abouts.

How to do this, not sure. But maybe 'a patch' (ya haven't heard that for a while) with updated stats every 6 months or so, downloaded into your CM to reflect this, might be the go. This might service Stevie in his need for regularlar weekly tournaments, tournaments 'parralled' with real life tours (Euro, PGA etc) that directly reflect what is going on in real life on that particular tour at that time of the year. If this was employed, if for some reason members left PP (can't see why they would) they would find it easy to 'catch up' by just dowloading the latest 'patch' to be back in the race.

My opinion only

* Asus SABERTOOTH-Z97-Mark1/4 x DDR3/2 x PCI-E

* Intel BX80646174790 I7-4790,3.60GHZ,4Cores,8MB CACHE Processor

* Samsung 500 GB SSD 840 EVO SATA III 6Gbs 

* Asus STRIX-GTX 970-DC2OC-4GD5  graphics card

* Corsair 16GB (2x8's) DDR3 1600 MHz Vengeance Pro Series

* Corsair Hydro Series H 105 Liquid CPU cooler

* Corsair AX860i ATX Power Supply

* LG 29UB65-P 29in AH-IPS, 2560x1080 resolution monitor

* Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit

#8 Mav78

Mav78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationNewport, Wales

Posted 07 December 2013 - 11:52 AM

I do think it helps build a community if there is a lobby with people arranging quick matches etc., I know its only my two pence worth but im pretty sure you will get a lot more people playing the game if there is a ranking system, especially younger players

#9 FixAmer1st

FixAmer1st

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • LocationSun City Center, FL

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:35 PM

I do think it helps build a community if there is a lobby with people arranging quick matches etc., I know its only my two pence worth but im pretty sure you will get a lot more people playing the game if there is a ranking system, especially younger players

A lobby can be done with external sites like GameRanger (if they decide to host the PP game like they do the Links series).  Now a Ranking system needs, IMHO, an independent site.

Jerry

Links Golf
CPU_Match_Play_Tour.jpg
CPU_Director_2013.jpg
Administrator of KISS Tours

Dell XPS Desktop
4th Generation Intel Core i7-4790 @ 4.0 GHz
16 GB DDR3 Memory
Win7 64 bit Home Premium
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 4GB
1TB SATA HardDrive

#10 Mav78

Mav78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationNewport, Wales

Posted 07 December 2013 - 07:00 PM

Does cases ladder still exist? it's not really my business so I didn't like to say about it when the PP team may have all this planned out.

#11 Stephen Sullivan

Stephen Sullivan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationWorksop, Nottinghamshire

Posted 07 December 2013 - 08:09 PM

Online rounds are the thing I really used to enjoy about Links.  Haven't played online in some time as all my regular partners have fallen by the wayside  :(

I think PP really needs to have this sort of thing at the heart of it.

• Mav78 likes this
Posted Image

#12 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:37 AM

Judging by their Podcast with matey on a PP Simulator, playing against someone on a Train (using a tablet) with another matey playing at home, I'd guess online is a definite heartily consideration for what these guys are about.

Like you.. I miss the old days of online games.. I remember frequently checking world charts to ensure I got the exact time right for games against many US opponents. The missus held dinner back or made it earlier for me to ensure I was A1.. however she had to disappear pronto if the language from me changed..lol! I even remember waaay back when I would be on dial-up connection and an incoming call would cause me to drop connection. Another 20 mins spent connecting and resuming... sigh... was it really that good back then lol..?

#13 Perculator

Perculator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:20 AM

Does cases ladder still exist? it's not really my business so I didn't like to say about it when the PP team may have all this planned out.

I know of one ladder operating from Gameranger that still uses the Case's Ladder format. I think it is called the "All Greens Ladder", something like that.

i5-4670K | GeForce GTX 970 4GB | 16GB DDR3 RAM | Windows 10 64 bit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users