4 replies to this topic

#1 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 01:47 AM

What are the must know techniques that translate most to using Course Forge? 

I'm not an experienced designer but would like to acclimate myself to the essentials primarily used for course design.

I'm assuming terrain manipulation, water, texture painting, tree planting... 

Any suggestions of specific techniques?

• MERACE likes this

#2 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 02:31 AM

Pretty much what you said with the exception of water as CF has its own water. Learn about grass textures, billboards, what unity packages are and general navigation, moving objects etc.

Mike has issued a starter course with most things already set up. Along with the tutorials he's also done, people are catching on very quickly. It's when you wish to start creating your own textures, trees and course objects or use real terrain data,... that more learning is really needed. I suggest getting confidence avoiding such for your first course and learn specifics on the fly rather than extensively learning Unity and other concepts in computer graphics up front.

#3 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 02:49 AM

Thanks shimonko,

One thing that is confusing me is how to create gentle slopes (like a canted fairway) using the default terrain tools in unity...

#4 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 07:44 AM

There's no really easy built in way unfortunately. Really best to use a 3rd party slope tool or export the terrain heightmap to Photoshop.

You can get some decent results with a bit of effort if you tier and smooth within Unity. So first have half the fairway at the lowest point, half at the highest point, then use the smooth tool to blend them into a continuous slope.

• IanK likes this

#5 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 04 September 2015 - 04:41 PM

Yep, doing a slope / tilt can be tough to do on the fly.... the raise/lower tool tends to create bowl shapes, either concave or convex. You may have to create a terrace effect and then smooth the heck out of it.

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users