10 replies to this topic

#1 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 12:17 PM

Greetings. Time to have an in depth view at terrain textures... at least that's what pingzing2 thought when he asked me to a few more details about my already extensive body of work surrounding textures. He wanted to learn more about how to find, create, improve and use textures. 

I let him talk me into what follows. 

NKMdTBm.jpg

5 clips. Watch them all in a sequence and in HD for the full benefit.

Requires basic knowledge in Unity and Photoshop (or similar graphics software). Click on the links or the vimeo logo to get a full 720p version.

https://vimeo.com/138724939

https://vimeo.com/138734590

https://vimeo.com/138724935

I will be available to answer questions all week, but I'd rather nobody asked any. Others, feel free to contribute your own textures insights, my own workflow is by no means the only possible one, let alone in any way the best one.

• Unique, ✠ davef ✠, RobC and 2 others like this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#2 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 09 September 2015 - 04:40 PM

I very much enjoyed "Return of the Textures", a sequel

unmatched in video history. The Attack of the Clone Brush

was my favorite part. Watching our hero mirror and rotate his

way through the seamless terrain had me on the edge 

of my seat. Spielberg would be envious, Hitchcock would be horrfied,

and DeMille would be astounded. Bravo !

Thanks K11, great Tut.

• IanD likes this

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#3 J.H.Buchanan

J.H.Buchanan

PG Ameteur Titleist Golf Balls

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach, Florida

Posted 09 September 2015 - 08:01 PM

Thank you for this presentation - This gentleman is quite interesting to listen to and watching these videos should be on your bucket list. You can also learn some stuff about Unity and Photoshop and enjoy this persons sense of humor which makes the videos pleasant to absorb as you grasp the concept of using your own textures if you so desire.

Little known fact when King Arthur was trying to make a golf course and he ran into some conflict. King Arthur: There's a peace only to be found on the other side of war. If that war should come I will fight it!    Other important fact. Read the Book of John in the Holy Bible. 

#4 pingzing

pingzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • LocationQld Australia

Posted 09 September 2015 - 09:31 PM

Been waiting for this special treat, and yes this gentleman is  quite interesting to listen to, love his personality too, cant thank him enough for all his help and taking the time to for the community. You know we ask and he replies. he is a rare and rough diamond

I can watch the videos now  and leave him alone in the Bat Cave- maybe his first name is Robin or Bruce - thats a mystery ?

and when we need help we call out or send the bat signal 

PS Thanks Mate for Map of Down under too

Thank you oh Gracious  and humble one 

Ka Boom   Ka Pow

Stephen

#5 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 11:23 AM

Gosh, what a freak I must be.

New Texture: Wet Beach Sand, concocted by methods explained above. Source region: The Sahara Desert.

Ndv0atL.jpg

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

<<<<<

#6 pingzing

pingzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • LocationQld Australia

Posted 10 September 2015 - 09:37 PM

Cheers  k11, watched the tuts mate, trying to learn photoshop on the fly with your videos, very frustrating trying to follow you along and not knowing ps i get lost and how did he do that, so off the youtube and google to find out, spent hours and cursing but must be patient.

Slowly slowly, 

Thanks very much mate ( Mr Bruce ) for your ongoing help buddy, much respect to you 

Stephen

#7 J.H.Buchanan

J.H.Buchanan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 01:01 AM

Cheers  k11, watched the tuts mate, trying to learn photoshop on the fly with your videos, very frustrating trying to follow you along and not knowing ps i get lost and how did he do that, so off the youtube and google to find out, spent hours and cursing but must be patient.

Slowly slowly, 

Thanks very much mate ( Mr Bruce ) for your ongoing help buddy, much respect to you 

Stephen

Seems like Photoshop is a monthly fee now what do you think about that - seems the internet hates it - after you have it for 3 years your still spending 20 a month so ya got $720 into it after 3 years.  Everyone dies ya can buy life insurance for $20 a month that covers what .. $50,000 dollars ...

Little known fact when King Arthur was trying to make a golf course and he ran into some conflict. King Arthur: There's a peace only to be found on the other side of war. If that war should come I will fight it!    Other important fact. Read the Book of John in the Holy Bible. 

#8 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 05:46 AM

Gimp is a very good free alternative to Photoshop.
  • ✠ davef ✠ likes this
Steam Name: n.bonaparte
WWG1WGA

#9 J.H.Buchanan

J.H.Buchanan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 06:53 PM

Ok I just downloaded Gimp 2.8.1 or whatever is was AND the help file in ENGLISH !!!!  Thanks Champ 

#10 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 13 September 2015 - 08:43 AM

Do you guys have a file format of choice that you recommend for textures?

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#11 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 10:40 AM

.psd with alpha channel for billboards and Unity tree creator foliage

.tga for CF shaders

.jpgs for everything else

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users