51 replies to this topic

#1 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 02:26 AM

Any other Aussies around these parts curious about whether our courses are going to be represented?  I thought I'd ask here first before snooping around Linkscorner.

#2 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 13 September 2015 - 08:24 AM

Well, I'm not a native, but I am a dual US / Aus citizen and I have a definite interest in representing the sandbelt. I'm also a CF beta tester.

At this point, re-creating the sandbelt style accurately is hampered by a few limitations, mainly that there is no extrude function like there is in the Links designer, so it is hard to produce the thick bunker lips. It also requires setting the edges of these bunkers very close to the greens, almost touching the outside edges. Currently it is difficult to have the shape splines render correctly if any part of two shapes are too close to each other.

The other limitation is that at this point, there simply are no appropriate trees or other vegetation available that I know of. Really, at this point there are very few trees and bushes available to us, period, without having to spend money or otherwise try to work with programs such as speedtree, which doesn't have great results.

You aren't alone; many of the UK guys are lamenting the current lack of links-style courses, partially as a result of nobody really knowing how to do a pot bunker yet.

It's not to say that nobody will try; I'm planning on it, but we may need to pick up some additional methods and tools before we can do it right.

• ed dawson and jt83 like this

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#3 Unique

Unique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland, Australia

Posted 13 September 2015 - 08:26 AM

I was working on one until my HD crashed and I lost everything. I hope to get my computer back within 2 weeks and will start again. No eucalyptus trees available so most courses will need re-interpreted for planting.

Peter

#4 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 12:39 PM

It's not to say that nobody will try; I'm planning on it, but we may need to pick up some additional methods and tools before we can do it right.

As long as it's on someone's radar!

I was working on one until my HD crashed and I lost everything. I hope to get my computer back within 2 weeks and will start again. No eucalyptus trees available so most courses will need re-interpreted for planting.

Peter

Indeed, without eucalyptus designers will be handicapped from the get-go.

#5 pingzing

pingzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • LocationQld Australia

Posted 14 September 2015 - 12:51 PM

would love some Aussie courses

Sandbelt- those bunkers and slick greens

Moonah coures- Mornington Peninsula

Tassie- Lost farms and barnbougle

I live  in a Tropical area and there are Plenty in Qld where i am from- Mate i want tropical plants, palms etc and tropical theme and courses

Aus is so big and different climates and geography so hope we get something

I would like a few courses  represented from all parts of the globe now that would be the best

Usa, canada,spain, japan,england, ireland, scotland,new zealand etc etc 

Cheers

#6 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 02:55 AM

Royal Melbourne is an obvious one, but NSW Golf Club, the Lakes, Kingston Heath, the Royal courses in Sydney and Adelaide...even Wagga Wagga and Robina in Links were great fun.  Hopefully designers consider other areas of the world when they showcase their talent.

It seems CF allows designers to get a big head start (I'm guessing Google Earth can provide the raw data), which will make the wait for the right trees etc tolerable.  I wish I had some know-how to help actually.

A sandbelt course in particular would scrub up nicely in PG if someone can get the look right.  They have an appealing combination of natural rough/waste areas and lush grass, with beautiful Australian weather as a backdrop.

• clarkx5652 likes this

#7 dilly

dilly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationPerth,WA

Posted 15 September 2015 - 05:54 AM

How about Kalgoorlie ! Would love to see how the contrast between the red dirt & lush green grass turns out in PG.

Also,being a kiwi, I have to throw in Cape Kidnappers & Terrace downs. Just for the eye candy alone :)
  • Clael415 likes this

#8 Unique

Unique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 07:51 AM

I have Robina Woods somewhere on a back up disc, I will look into it

• jt83 likes this

#9 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 10:18 AM

I have Robina Woods somewhere on a back up disc, I will look into it

Great!

How about Kalgoorlie ! Would love to see how the contrast between the red dirt & lush green grass turns out in PG.

Also,being a kiwi, I have to throw in Cape Kidnappers & Terrace downs. Just for the eye candy alone :)

Kidnappers - the Middle Earth of golf courses.

#10 Unique

Unique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 11:33 AM

The problem is getting available data. Robina I did from memory and photos when I played. I also have Royal Melbourne somewhere with accurate data taken from Xbox which I did in Links

Peter

#11 Clael415

Clael415

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 07:44 PM

I'll definitely tackle some NZ courses. I still have a 0.5m DEM of the whole country from my days at the school of surveying. I know a few people who have flown their UAV's over some interesting courses too which means high res imagery and heights good to about 100mm.
  • jt83 likes this

#12 Jim Boags

Jim Boags

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationWoodford QLD Australia

Posted 16 September 2015 - 12:26 AM

And all the locals are out to have their say on this topic.

Agree with all the above but it might better to look for courses that would suit PP and not so much courses that one would like/prefer IRL. The Gold Coast has a host of courses that have been built in the last 20-30 years that would look and play great in PP via CF. The resort style and Residential style courses of that area would be sweet. Upon release we should get together from this area of the world, decide on one each, then complete, to give us guys a little homely feel about the PP experience.

Jim Boags

* Asus SABERTOOTH-Z97-Mark1/4 x DDR3/2 x PCI-E

* Intel BX80646174790 I7-4790,3.60GHZ,4Cores,8MB CACHE Processor

* Samsung 500 GB SSD 840 EVO SATA III 6Gbs 

* Asus STRIX-GTX 970-DC2OC-4GD5  graphics card

* Corsair 16GB (2x8's) DDR3 1600 MHz Vengeance Pro Series

* Corsair Hydro Series H 105 Liquid CPU cooler

* Corsair AX860i ATX Power Supply

* LG 29UB65-P 29in AH-IPS, 2560x1080 resolution monitor

* Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit

#13 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 02:29 AM

The problem is getting available data. Robina I did from memory and photos when I played. I also have Royal Melbourne somewhere with accurate data taken from Xbox which I did in Links

Peter

I'll definitely tackle some NZ courses. I still have a 0.5m DEM of the whole country from my days at the school of surveying. I know a few people who have flown their UAV's over some interesting courses too which means high res imagery and heights good to about 100mm.

Re: data...what exactly does one need ?  Google Earth as a start point and then...

And all the locals are out to have their say on this topic.

Agree with all the above but it might better to look for courses that would suit PP and not so much courses that one would like/prefer IRL. The Gold Coast has a host of courses that have been built in the last 20-30 years that would look and play great in PP via CF. The resort style and Residential style courses of that area would be sweet. Upon release we should get together from this area of the world, decide on one each, then complete, to give us guys a little homely feel about the PP experience.

Jim Boags

I see your point, something like Palm Meadows already looks a bit Florida Gladesy and probably wouldn't take as long.  Hopefully the more historic courses will see the light of day though.

#14 slewin

slewin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 09:29 AM

Hey Unique that Royal Melbourne data sounds enticing....

#15 Jim Boags

Jim Boags

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationWoodford QLD Australia

Posted 16 September 2015 - 09:43 AM

Re: data...what exactly does one need ?  Google Earth as a start point and then...

I see your point, something like Palm Meadows already looks a bit Florida Gladesy and probably wouldn't take as long.  Hopefully the more historic courses will see the light of day though.

Ya right, shouldn't take as long. You would think that something like Palm Meadows would be one of the courses that would be very simple to plant. Like, most of that course would be a texture, it has very little areas that are let go feral. Well that was the case last time I played it.

Jim Boags

* Asus SABERTOOTH-Z97-Mark1/4 x DDR3/2 x PCI-E

* Intel BX80646174790 I7-4790,3.60GHZ,4Cores,8MB CACHE Processor

* Samsung 500 GB SSD 840 EVO SATA III 6Gbs 

* Asus STRIX-GTX 970-DC2OC-4GD5  graphics card

* Corsair 16GB (2x8's) DDR3 1600 MHz Vengeance Pro Series

* Corsair Hydro Series H 105 Liquid CPU cooler

* Corsair AX860i ATX Power Supply

* LG 29UB65-P 29in AH-IPS, 2560x1080 resolution monitor

* Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit

#16 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 10:21 AM

Have emailed Geoscience Australia to see if they're planning on releasing the LiDAR they have for Australia to the public, as the US and UK have done. Expecting "We have no plans as yet" but you never know. Even that answer is positive in that it means they understood the question.

Meanwhile, they do supply LiDAR to government users - it might just take a *.gov.au email address. Anyone here work for the Aus government?

Apart from that, 30 m SRTM data is about the best you can freely get from Bing.

#17 Unique

Unique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 11:32 AM

Hey Unique that Royal Melbourne data sounds enticing....

If you want to take it on you are most welcome. Let me know and I'll track it down as the full 18 holes in an APCD crz file

Here it is on you tube​ thanks to Nate Mullins. Also noticed Robina Woods too

• clarkx5652 likes this

#18 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 12:31 AM

Meanwhile, they do supply LiDAR to government users - it might just take a *.gov.au email address. Anyone here work for the Aus government?

Not me, but I can ask around.

#19 Andrew

Andrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 September 2015 - 10:09 PM

There is some Australian Lidar floating around the internet.  Its just really hard to find.  It looks like a lot of it is focusing on the tropical rain forest areas though.  While I was searching around I found this site which has total coverage of The Canary Islands... Go figure..

http://tiendavirtual...riePk=263585792

#20 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 02:22 AM

How good does it have to be?  I found this page - http://qldspatial.in...ea of interest"

I'd download it but it's 500MB and I'm not sure I'd be able to open it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users