12 replies to this topic

#1 mbidney

mbidney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:23 PM

I hope this is a big priority for the dev's and I haven't seen it talked about much on here.  But if there are ever going to be legitimate World Rankings, money tours etc this has to be of very high importance.

• Tigers Agent likes this

#2 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:59 PM

I hope this is a big priority for the dev's and I haven't seen it talked about much on here.  But if there are ever going to be legitimate World Rankings, money tours etc this has to be of very high importance.

Just curious if you have any suggestions how this might be applied, instead of just leaving it to the developers to fathom out, lol.

I only ask as I play Links 2003 - Elite/Click - and happened to have a round the other day when from the 1st tee, my first 7 shots (drives, irons and putts) were all bang on the 6 o'clock snap. Now I would hate to have the game suddenly override my snap and affect the outcome of a shot, just because it thinks I might be cheating because I have hit several spot on snaps in a row.

;)

#3 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 07 December 2013 - 11:18 PM

I don't see how this can be done with any degree of accuracy, now that mouse recording software is around. People could record a whole series of shots and select different ones that have virtually the same outcome. No analyzing algorithms are likely to spot these. The only way would be if the software itself could be detected.

Like it or not, cheats will always prosper!  :angry: 

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#4 AndyJumbo

AndyJumbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:39 AM

i think if the developers will find a good way to create the swing to hit the ball in the game, probably it will come out more interesting and i hope we can have fun without thinking (i cannot compete) about those people that use some programs. Hate them.

#5 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:07 AM

I don't see how this can be done with any degree of accuracy, now that mouse recording software is around. People could record a whole series of shots and select different ones that have virtually the same outcome. No analyzing algorithms are likely to spot these. The only way would be if the software itself could be detected.
Like it or not, cheats will always prosper!  :angry: 

What about having the swing meter appear at slightly differently places and slightly different scales to defeat mouse recorders? Or even having the ideal click positions change with every swing - e.g. six-thirty instead of six o'clock. RTS could be made to follow a curve like a real swing to somewhat get past the ruler trick.

#6 Tigers Agent

Tigers Agent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationNext Door.

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:04 PM

Just curious if you have any suggestions how this might be applied, instead of just leaving it to the developers to fathom out, lol.

here's your suggestion smartass.. It's called integrity.  "lol" :rolleyes:

#7 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:28 PM

here's your suggestion smartass.. It's called integrity.  "lol" :rolleyes:

Not being a smart-ass at all. It just makes me chuckle when folks propose something should be done about this or that but don't actually put forward an idea/suggestion to try and combat the issue they are raising.

I'm all for the integrity method. I run a tour for Links 2003 with 40-50 players playing each event and a lot of the playing is done on trust, accepting that the guys are all playing by the tour rules.

;)

#8 mbidney

mbidney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:28 PM

Not being a smart-ass at all. It just makes me chuckle when folks propose something should be done about this or that but don't actually put forward an idea/suggestion to try and combat the issue they are raising.

I'm all for the integrity method. I run a tour for Links 2003 with 40-50 players playing each event and a lot of the playing is done on trust, accepting that the guys are all playing by the tour rules.

;)

Makes you chuckle?  I am not the programmer, I have no idea how this game is coded.  How am I going to give a technical solution to a potential issue with zero knowledge of the current technical complexity of the game?

I asked a simple question if something was being taken into consideration and you come back with this idiotic response.  *chuckles*

#9 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:49 PM

You don't have to be a programmer/coder.

I didn't ask you to provide lines if code or come up with a technical solution.

I suggested that you share some ideas as to how this could be done (like Shimonko did). Then from your suggestion the Devs could decide if it was workable and be put in place.

#10 Andrew

Andrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:32 PM

The first anti cheat process we have used is to have the server calculate the shot result not the client machine so once you have hit the shot there is no going back because the server will know about the shot and will create it, ie the client does not create and send to server.  Therefore all players will get your shot at the same time.  As to machines creating mouse swings and clicks well the only real way to get around that is to vary the swing meter ever so slightly.  We are actually in the process of hiring a firm to look at creative new options for swings.  We especially liked the concept videos that Kablammo posted in the swing meter thread.  The trouble with moving the points around is that to me golf is all about rhythm and when you get in one is when you get good.  This will prevent you getting into one.   I think for now our focus is to get a working swing meter and mouse swing and worry about this later.  For now we have created a client server model which prevents local tampering with the swing results. 

• ChickenLittle99 and karma4u like this

#11 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 05:36 PM

We especially liked the concept videos that Kablammo posted in the swing meter thread.  The trouble with moving the points around is that to me golf is all about rhythm and when you get in one is when you get good.  This will prevent you getting into one. 

Thank you very much, Andrew (That would be K11, btw). The swing animation in my video was always the same, only with an altered perspective. So the rhythm and tempo were always the same. I'm quite concsious of getting a "good flow" going on my rounds and things like rhythm and routine indeed matter a great deal.

My chief concern on this topic is that any invasive (and efficient) method of cheat detection would deteriorate the playabilty of the game for the honest player. WGT showed us how not to do it. Drastic measures of the "guilty-until-proven-innocent"-kind might hinder the very few, but at the same time punish the great many.

Personally, I would not let fear of cheating seep too deeply into the game mechanics  There always will be some super-clever SOB's who will try to get an edge, yes, but these guys usually will be identified quickly, get their well-deserved bad rep and the community will shun them. Fear of something usually invites that something - absence of fear, however, disarms it.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#12 Mick-S

Mick-S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationDevon.u.k / born London

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:34 PM

have mentioned this before,  the PS3 version of TW14 uses the right or left stick ( pic of the PC Logitech Dual Action ) which could be used

Image2-5.jpg

I would think this is a nice variation of the usual click or mouse swing and on the highest level it`s not that easy to hit it straight.

as we know mouse swing is prone to edging ( although with TW08 I see no need to edge as you only have to move the mouse an inch and of goes your shot.

2/3 click to me is very unrealistic in just the fact that you have to look at the metre, just my opinion of course.

try TW14 and try to purposely hit a fade, good luck.

#13 MartinD

MartinD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:56 PM

What about having the swing meter appear at slightly differently places and slightly different scales to defeat mouse recorders? Or even having the ideal click positions change with every swing - e.g. six-thirty instead of six o'clock. RTS could be made to follow a curve like a real swing to somewhat get past the ruler trick.

Taking this in a slightly different direction - how about having the 'ideal' click positions moving depending on the lie of the ball?  For example (using the 'standard' meter with the directional click at the bottom). if the ball is below your feet, the marker moves a little clockwise, while it goes a little the other way if the ball is above your feet (varying by the severity of the slope).

(Showing my age here - am sure that the meter in Microprose Golf did something along these lines...)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users