28 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:50 PM

Thought you might all like to see this little low res video of a 270 lip out in Perfect Golf

• Nemesis likes this

#2 SouthStPaul

SouthStPaul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationSouth Saint Paul, MN USA

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:00 PM

Very nice.  I can verify the realism as I had about 50 of these type of lip-outs IRL this last golf season.  :)

• Nemesis likes this

I think the snow is starting to let up! :lol:

#3 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:03 PM

I viscerally hated it, looking so real. Well done!

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#4 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:05 PM

This sort of thing is why I now help make golf games rather than trying to play professionally. Looks great AJ  :)

• Nemesis likes this

#5 Cactus

Cactus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationFort Mill, SC

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:05 PM

NICE!

• Nemesis likes this

#6 Ron Piskorik

Ron Piskorik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationFlorham Park, NJ

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:21 PM

Very nice.  

The video looked realistic and I am looking forward to much more realistic putting in PG.  

• Nemesis likes this
Alienware Area 51 R2
Windows 10 Home (64bit)
Intel® Core™ i7-5820K Six Core (15MB Cache, Overclocked up to 3.9 GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
Intel® X99 Chipset (Intel® DHX99 PCH)
32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 2133MHz SDRAM Memory
256GB SSD 6Gb/s Main
Centauri CPU heatsink
4TB 5400RPM SATA 6Gb/s
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti with 6GB GDDR5
Killer™ E2200 Integrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit Network Card
Integrated Creative Labs Sound Blaster Recon3Di
Alienware™ 850 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply
Dual Layer DVD Burner (DVD±RW, CD-RW)
Logitech G810 Artemis Spectrum gaming keyboard
Dell 27 Gaming Monitor - S2716DG at 2560 X 1440
Logitech Gaming Mouse G502

3 Click PRO Level

#7 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:30 PM

On 2nd thought, the video being so small I can't be sure about it, the ball seems to roll around the lip at a constant speed. Shouldn't it get a small slingshot acceleration as it dips in, and that would cause it to escape gravity? My most infamous lip outs IRL always were of the sort where the hole spits the ball out again. Right now it appears to move almost too evenly...

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

<<<<<

#8 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:39 PM

The Post Shot info box made for interesting reading, before the actual replay was shown, lol.

:D

As for the actual lip-out. It was very good, but it just looked not quite right. The ball never went below the level of the green, so basically ran around the hole as if on a rail, whereas with lipouts the ball usually falls fractionally below the level of the green and then gravity spins it back up and out.

If this type of effect could be achieved, Holy Shamoly.

Maybe I'm being overly picky. I would have to say though, I would much prefer getting lipouts like that than having the hole suck the ball in like it often does in Links 2003, lol.

Also, ball shadow would help with the depth perception too (but I'm sure this will be added in time).

• Davefevs likes this

#9 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:57 PM

Good eye Daz, I agree, that ball went around the top of the cup and looked very unnatural.. Were getting their though..

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#10 KenR

KenR

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:39 PM

Nice Andrew; making great progress it seems!

• Nemesis likes this
Ken

#11 TimBoch

TimBoch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationFarmington, MN

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:21 PM

Kevin, I had no lip outs like this last year. But I also only played 3 rounds. Hoping for more next year.  Rounds. Not lip outs.

Course Forge Courses in various stages of design: Dwan Golf Club, Hyland Greens, Faribault CC, Desert Valley CC/ Woodland Trail(fictional), Infamous Golf Course (fantasy)
Links 2003 Designs: Dwan Golf Club, Infamous Golf Course, Hazeltine National Golf Club (assistant designer), Woodland Trail/Desert Valley CC , Faribault CC (beta), Hyland Greens (beta), Double Eagle (beta), King's Walk (beta), Interlachen CC (still in planning)
Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.5GHz
  • Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit
  • 16GB DDR3L RAM
  • 750GB 7,200RPM Hard Drive
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M

#12 SouthStPaul

SouthStPaul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationSouth Saint Paul, MN USA

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:48 PM

Tim, now that we are practically neighbors we should try to play some IRL rounds next year.  Have you played "The Summit" in Cannon Falls?  It is a real mind-blower (mega elevation changes on the back nine).   Might be a fun one to recreate/design with the new designer.  Also, I still have never played Dwan and I know that you have all of that local knowledge.

I think the snow is starting to let up! :lol:

#13 TimBoch

TimBoch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationFarmington, MN

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:07 PM

Hello Kevin. I have played The Summit a few times. Like the course except for the last 2 holes which feel like they kind of crammed in too much or ran out of space. One of my FOs dad's actually was a major designer and did a lot of the construction on the course.  Dwan is always a fun place to help ones confidence. Lets do it next year. Assuming my elbows are still good. 

Course Forge Courses in various stages of design: Dwan Golf Club, Hyland Greens, Faribault CC, Desert Valley CC/ Woodland Trail(fictional), Infamous Golf Course (fantasy)
Links 2003 Designs: Dwan Golf Club, Infamous Golf Course, Hazeltine National Golf Club (assistant designer), Woodland Trail/Desert Valley CC , Faribault CC (beta), Hyland Greens (beta), Double Eagle (beta), King's Walk (beta), Interlachen CC (still in planning)
Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.5GHz
  • Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit
  • 16GB DDR3L RAM
  • 750GB 7,200RPM Hard Drive
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M

#14 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 12:33 AM

On 2nd thought, the video being so small I can't be sure about it, the ball seems to roll around the lip at a constant speed. Shouldn't it get a small slingshot acceleration as it dips in, and that would cause it to escape gravity? My most infamous lip outs IRL always were of the sort where the hole spits the ball out again. Right now it appears to move almost too evenly...

There's a higher-def version at https://vimeo.com/81806605. Although there is a very slight slingshot effect with lipouts, most of it is an illusion from a first-person point-of-view partially masking the speed of a ball moving away from us.

But one could spend weeks alone on this and features must be left so PG 2.0 is attractive.

How good does the course look though! Ball appears shadowed to me unless I'm seeing things, Daz.

#15 Guest_Nemesis_*

Guest_Nemesis_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:12 AM

That was as realistic as is necessary for the game be to considered "perfect".  Other members (the same old cynical people since PC Golf began) will never be happy with any Golf Game.  This was horrendously true of Tiger Woods Online.  Thankfully they do not and will not reflect the other 99.9% of the membership.

So R&D away knowing that 99.9% of us will love your game. RTM is right around the corner.

Great job! 

• Nemesis likes this

#16 HeavySwinger

HeavySwinger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:51 PM

Picky, picky, picky...I was glad the physics is working good enough to do any kind of a lipout at this point.  Now I have not played any computer golf game that had the ball falling into the hole in a realistic manner.  Most of them just suddenly disappear at some point.  If the folks at perfect golf want to work this out and show us realistic ball entry into the hole, more power to them.  I'll be happy if the ball just goes into the hole when it's supposed to, lipout when it should and roll on by otherwise.

#17 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:55 PM

Well, Perfect Parallel isn't called Perfect for no reason, so I imagine they will keep fine tuning the Lip Out.. We don't want to just settle for the ball rolling around the top of the cup, we want to see the physics work correctly... We know it can be done, it has been done in the past.. We don't want to just settle for "close enough" because we may be in a hurry to play golf.. I don't think PP does either.

We want them to get it right. After all, golf is all about the details, isn't it?.. ;)

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#18 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:45 AM

Some comments may be seen as picky, especially with the lipout being very early in the development, but it is certainly something I would have mentioned if I had seen that during any BETA testing phase.

Like Larry says, PP are wanting Perfect Golf to be the best. This early lipout effect is very good, but seeing what can be achieved within the Unity (from looking at other games designed using Unity 3D) there is certainly scope for it to be fine tuned/improved on.

;)

#19 LarryDale

LarryDale

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:14 AM

Some comments may be seen as picky, especially with the lipout being very early in the development, but it is certainly something I would have mentioned if I had seen that during any BETA testing phase.

Like Larry says, PP are wanting Perfect Golf to be the best. This early lipout effect is very good, but seeing what can be achieved within the Unity (from looking at other games designed using Unity 3D) there is certainly scope for it to be fine tuned/improved on.

;)Messed up the video,Please remove.

#20 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:50 AM

It's up for the makers to decide when "good enough" really is "good enough". The community members give feedback - they do not make any demands, they simply point out if they "see something" that they believe is a bit off.

Being picky is our duty. That's how quality control works. You pick at the product to make it better. Polite, insightful picking is much more respectful and responsible than blind sycophancy.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users