22 replies to this topic

#1 Crusher

Crusher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 06:12 AM

β›³                          πŸŒοΈβ€β™‚οΈ                             πŸŒοΈβ€β™€οΈ                              β›³

xqc8g0-2.png

πŸŒοΈβ€β™‚οΈ                                                       πŸŒοΈβ€β™€οΈ
Userbenchmarks:
Custom Build 2019

β›³                          πŸŒοΈβ€β™‚οΈ                             πŸŒοΈβ€β™€οΈ                              β›³

51049423131_98884de356_w.jpg

#2 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 07:02 AM

Interesting stuff certainly... and certainly something MS should not have included. However, this is a larger can of worms that isn going to not only get opened, but become incredibly messy. Eductaion, is perhaps the word needed, without necessarily giving people tools.

#3 Crusher

Crusher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 07:14 AM

Well Ian, I think we both can agree that the can has been opened for a long time with social networking. Now Microsoft has opened Pandora's Box. Sadly, apathy will override the tediousness of disabling these features.

After all, you know what dummies like to say, "What, Me worry?"

What-me-worry%20Mad%20image_zps4v4dqil1.

xqc8g0-2.png

πŸŒοΈβ€β™‚οΈ                                                       πŸŒοΈβ€β™€οΈ
Userbenchmarks:
Custom Build 2019

#4 Parboy

Parboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • LocationKansas City MO by way of Santa Ana CA

Posted 28 September 2015 - 12:30 PM

Not that difficult to pay attention during set-up and installation when you are asked up front to enable/disable these "features".

#5 Mulligan

Mulligan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • LocationVirtual Private Network

Posted 28 September 2015 - 02:46 PM

http://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

Testing 10 on an old laptop, this free app does nicely.

#6 Parboy

Parboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 06:24 PM

http://money.cnn.com/2015/09/28/technology/microsoft-windows-10-privacy/index.html

#7 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 28 September 2015 - 06:38 PM

Just my $0.02 here...  

Maybe I'm blissfully unaware and overly trusting but I do not think that a company like Microsoft would maliciously spy on our personal data.  This simply goes back to the age-old expression of making sure you trust a developer before using their software.  If I can't trust Microsoft then I might as well go crawl in a cave and avoid any modern technological luxuries.  

I feel like sometimes people are just looking for something to get all riled up over. If you don't like the W10 interface then that's understandable.  Don't use it and stick with what you like.  But I don't get why people are attacking Microsoft for security issues.  If you're concerned with what they're doing then you best be taking a REALLY hard look at what Android and IOS are doing with your phones.

Again, I'm sure to many of you I'm just a moron and overly trusting.  But I just don't have time to sit around and stress out over whether Microsoft is doing something wonky with my information.  It's not worth it to me.  The whole thing just has a conspiracy theory tone to it and if you allow yourself you'll find something that makes you paranoid even if it's completely benign.  

• Parboy likes this

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#8 Crusher

Crusher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 07:04 PM

Dear Windows 10 lovers,

You're welcome that I brought this privacy issue to the forefront. Otherwise your mics and keyboards would be broadcasting your dirty little secrets -   :lol:

xqc8g0-2.png

Userbenchmarks:
Custom Build 2019

#9 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 28 September 2015 - 09:37 PM

Dear Windows 10 lovers,

You're welcome that I brought this privacy issue to the forefront. Otherwise your mics and keyboards would be broadcasting your dirty little secrets - :lol:

I'm assuming this is a joke. You don't truly believe that this is happening right?

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#10 tlvx

tlvx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 11:15 PM

I'm assuming this is a joke. You don't truly believe that this is happening right?

The question is not whether or not it is happening. That has already been confirmed.

It seems like you are taking the approach that; "Well, surely no one would actually be listening in, at the other end..." Or, "If one has nothing to hide, than certainly, one would not have any concerns..."

It is not enough to merely have good intentions, despite committing blatant privacy infringements. Otherwise, who's to say that putting a camera in the loo is not well intended, either.. for our own security?

If there aren't already, there should be actionable laws, that prevent anyone from actively recording one's microphone; or worse yet, logging the keys that one types. Doing it under the guise of providing a service should be prohibited, as well.

If you cannot see the worst case scenario brewing there; than I'm afraid you have the term, "overly trusting," mistaken for, naivety.

• Crusher likes this

#11 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 28 September 2015 - 11:50 PM

The question is not whether or not it is happening. That has already been confirmed.

It seems like you are taking the approach that; "Well, surely no one would actually be listening in, at the other end..." Or, "If one has nothing to hide, than certainly, one would not have any concerns..."

It is not enough to merely have good intentions, despite committing blatant privacy infringements. Otherwise, who's to say that putting a camera in the loo is not well intended, either.. for our own security?

If there aren't already, there should be actionable laws, that prevent anyone from actively recording one's microphone; or worse yet, logging the keys that one types. Doing it under the guise of providing a service should be prohibited, as well.

If you cannot see the worst case scenario brewing there; than I'm afraid you have the term, "overly trusting," mistaken for, naivety.

So you're telling me that msft has been doing this or someone else has hacked in to do this?

Two completely different issues.

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#12 Crusher

Crusher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 12:08 AM

"overly trusting," mistaken for, naivety...

Naivety runs rampant most likely because of apathy.  People today have search engines to find every spin on truths. The major problem is they just don't care to do the research then extrapalote.

They will once they get bitten. ;)

xqc8g0-2.png

Userbenchmarks:
Custom Build 2019

#13 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 29 September 2015 - 12:15 AM

The how about someone googling up some proof of this privacy nightmare for me because I can't seem to find much.

Maybe I don't know how to properly use these new fangled search engines though....
  • Parboy likes this

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#14 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 29 September 2015 - 12:18 AM

Here's an interesting article.

http://lifehacker.co...ally-1722267229

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#15 Crusher

Crusher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 12:53 AM

Maybe I don't know how to properly use these new fangled search engines though....

I'm sure you know know how to use them, it's the extrapolation part they may be difficult for you.

Extrapolation is not everyone's forte'.

xqc8g0-2.png

Userbenchmarks:
Custom Build 2019

#16 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 29 September 2015 - 01:20 AM

I'm sure you know know how to use them, it's the extrapolation part they may be difficult for you.

Extrapolation is not everyone's forte'.

Then please help me extrapolate. I'm still having trouble finding where Microsoft is exploiting their access to our personal data. In fact, all I'm seeing is them going to great lengths to protect our privacy while also trying to harness some information for our benefit.

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#17 tlvx

tlvx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 02:23 AM

I'm still having trouble finding where Microsoft is exploiting their access to our personal data.

If someone placed a camera inside your master bathroom, would you need to prove that they were actually watching the feed on the other end, to prove that it was inappropriate to put a camera there, in the first place?

• Crusher likes this

#18 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 29 September 2015 - 09:51 AM

Naivety runs rampant most likely because of apathy.  People today have search engines to find every spin on truths. The major problem is they just don't care to do the research then extrapalote.

They will once they get bitten. ;)

Most search engines are also collecting information from every user's search words. Google take this one step further by reading every email you send too. Google’s ads use information gleaned from a user’s email combined with data from their Google profile as a whole, including search results, map requests and YouTube views, to display what it considers are relevant ads in the hope that the user is more likely to click on them and generate more advertising revenue for Google.

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#19 Parboy

Parboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 12:06 PM

I have Windows 10 on 5 PC's now. If you pay attention during set up after the install you can set Windows 10 to be as secure as any other operating system. It appears there are some that believe we should have stopped at Windows 3.1

#20 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 29 September 2015 - 12:06 PM

If someone placed a camera inside your master bathroom, would you need to prove that they were actually watching the feed on the other end, to prove that it was inappropriate to put a camera there, in the first place?

That example is so far out of the context of this scenario that it really doesn't even relate.

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users