#1 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 15 December 2013 - 05:57 PM

Just wondering if this is being considered, and what others think about this. In real life the ball is obviously affected by the wind, whether it is in the air or on the ground. I don't believe any golf games in the past though have ever factored this in, but it does affect both line and length when putting, and would be something else to increase the realism, and also add a little more difficulty to the game.

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#2 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:01 PM

Hehe, and let's add the grain to this topic.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#3 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:17 PM

Hehe, and let's add the grain to this topic.

I think grain is taking things too far, as it is not easily quantifiable for the player, but I believe AJ had serious intentions to include this in the 1.08 (now defunct) patch for Links.

Wind gauges however are part of golf games anyway, so I think players would find it quite natural to integrate this into their putting. 

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#4 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:48 PM

Like A says, the guys behind the Links 2003 Community MOD's were looking at ways to factor grain in to putts. This isn't something I would personally see as a must included either at v1.0 or even further down the road with updates. Not even sure how we would be supposed to identify which way the grain as growing? Just seems to be one real life element that may cause more trouble than it's worth.

Wind affected putts on the other hand I would like to see and I'm sure it could be implemented. Would certainly add an extra element to longer straight putts, which usually after a spot on snap, become unmissable. Would love the challenge of a stiff breeze blowing off the left whilst I'm contemplating my relatively flat 20ft birdie putt, lol.

Obviously there are those that will question whether we get the wind effect the same on tree lined courses as we would on links style courses, but that's all part of the development cycle.

;)

#5 mjhamilton113

mjhamilton113

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationLincoln, RI

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:02 PM

You could add grain by giving the greens several textures that shine a certain way and also the ability to show how the cup is cut in certain instances. Unfortunately this is a very nit picky thing and I cannot imagine them going that far

#6 Joe Habiger

Joe Habiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • LocationCoon Rapids, MN

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:05 PM

World Golf Challenge = Wind Affecting Putts but not over done because unless you have a Gail Force wind you barely notice it.

• AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
  • Sapphire Nitro+ SE AMD Radeon 6800XT
  • G.Skill Trident Z Royal RGB 16GB DDR4-3600
  • Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen 4 PCIe M.2
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD M.2 NVMe
  • Samsung 850 EVO 512GB SSD
  • Sound Blaster ZX Soundcard
  • EVGA 750 Gold Power Supply
  • Fractal Design Meshify S2 Case
  • Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R
  • "43 inch Vizio 4k Monitor

#7 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:00 AM

Not even sure how we would be supposed to identify which way the grain as growing? 

It could be reasonably easily done by a differing sheen on green when viewing the green from different directions, or even a hole cam view showing grass overgrowing one side of the hole, but I don't really think it's worth it.

Wind - I can't say I've even seen a study showing how much wind moves a rolling ball on the green. It would be tricky to model at ground level knowing green undulations would block the wind somewhat. As tournaments usually cut the greens higher when high winds are expected, the effect would be reduced.

#8 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:08 PM

I know that mow lines can be put into textures, it's done all the time but whether or not those mow lines could affect the ball is something I wouldn't know but having the wind affect the ball seams like a gr8 idea!

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#9 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:33 PM

Nah, not for me... not sure my store built pc could handle it..

• shimonko likes this

#10 KenR

KenR

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:48 PM

As far as I'm concerned wind blown putts are a little over the top. This is not for me either.... I can't recall a single round of golf I've played over a span of 45 years where I've read a lengthy putt and then said to myself, "now add in 2 inches of break for the wind". This is just a little too much. Just my 2 cents worth guys, although I will say if they wanted to add this in as a difficulty option then I could see that. Just not as a regular part of gameplay.

• Perculator, Davefevs, Keith and 1 other like this
Ken

#11 MartinD

MartinD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:10 PM

As far as I'm concerned wind blown putts are a little over the top. This is not for me either.... I can't recall a single round of golf I've played over a span of 45 years where I've read a lengthy putt and then said to myself, "now add in 2 inches of break for the wind". This is just a little too much. Just my 2 cents worth guys, although I will say if they wanted to add this in as a difficulty option then I could see that. Just not as a regular part of gameplay.

I'm surprised at this, because I've played quite a lot of rounds of golf where I've had to allow for the wind when reading a putt - the most extreme example that I can remember was an 8-footer that I would have started outside left on a calm day, but hit the putt outside right and made it (with a strong wind off the right, obviously, to affect the read by about six inches on an 8-footer).

The wind can also have a significant effect on the pace of a putt - in the same way as you might have to adjust by three or four clubs for a strong wind against or behind, a putt into the wind will be a lot slower than the equivalent putt on a calm day, and a downwind putt quite a lot faster.  I've seen a green become unplayable because there was a strong wind from the wrong direction (i.e. in the same direction as the main slope on the green)...

It is something that you only really see on the more open courses, though - the course where I've played most of my golf has roughly one half open, the other half tree-lined, and it's only on the greens without surrounding trees that you see the wind having a significant effect.

#12 KenR

KenR

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:09 PM

I don't know where you're from or where you play your golf, and I won't dispute that the wind cannot affect putts to some degree. But I myself have not played a round of golf under normal conditions, and by normal I include fairly windy days with wind gusts around 20-25 mph, where that wind has blown my putts off line to a degree that I had to compensate for it.

I have seen these conditions at professional events on slick, firm greens under severe US and British Open venues such as Shinnecock, the links courses in the UK, and even Pebble Beach, where the players had to play under those conditions. I'm sure there are other examples. But I've never experienced them myself. Perhaps I've just never played on courses where that could happen, and though I have played in some tournaments with some nasty weather conditions such as light rain, wind and cold temps, I haven't experienced any wind so strong as to blow my ball around on the greens. Anything that strong and I wouldn't be playing that day. That would not be golf to me, just torture.

As I said in my earlier post, I can see this as an option in the difficulty level. I just can't see it as normal, because I think it only happens under extremely windy conditions that include very fast greens. I also think it might be somewhat difficult to program in a way that is fair to the player trying to decipher the break and then have to try to figure out how the "computer" wind that he/she can't actually feel is going to also affect the putt. Not suggesting it can't be done, just might be a tad difficult.

Respectfully submitted, and just my opinion, such as it is.

Ken

#13 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:14 PM

I can only think it is something we throw in to the pot for the Dev's to consider and then tell us yay or nay, simple as.

I wouldn't be a game changer that would stop me from buying PG if it was/wasn't included, but as some folks are asking for almost every real life experience to try and be replicated in the game, to take it to the next level we haven't had with other golf games, then I suppose it is at least put forward.

As for putting in wind, I tend to feel the affects more when putting directly in to the wind as it does hamper the roll of the ball, much as putting downwind can see the putts overshoot by quite a margin if the wind is not factored in to the stroke.

#14 Joe Habiger

Joe Habiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • LocationCoon Rapids, MN

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:22 PM

Nah, not for me... not sure my store built pc could handle it..

Your a real riot Alice..

• IanD likes this
  • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
  • Sapphire Nitro+ SE AMD Radeon 6800XT
  • G.Skill Trident Z Royal RGB 16GB DDR4-3600
  • Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen 4 PCIe M.2
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD M.2 NVMe
  • Samsung 850 EVO 512GB SSD
  • Sound Blaster ZX Soundcard
  • EVGA 750 Gold Power Supply
  • Fractal Design Meshify S2 Case
  • Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R
  • "43 inch Vizio 4k Monitor

#15 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:54 PM

Mow lines are nothing new as we have had them for years and years with no affect on game play but I agree, it could go either way. Next thing you know we'll be playing outside, we don't want this to real do we? ;)  lol

• Davefevs likes this

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#16 HeavySwinger

HeavySwinger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:39 PM

I'm hoping for a richer experience putting in perfect golf.  I would like to see all things that affect putting implemented so long as they can be realistically and accurately done.  I like to put myself in the position of a professional golfer who has to take all these things into account in order to be successful.  It prevents boredom from creeping in when you play the game or a course repeatedly.  Of course for those who don't share this view, options in the game to shut these effects off is OK by me. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users