Photo

When Will Terrain Importer be Downloadable?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 rwmorey

rwmorey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:31 PM

Hi --

I see the Terrain Importer listed in the download section but it says I'm not authorized to download it. When will it be available?

Thanks

Rich

#2 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:36 PM

When AJ makes the URL active I guess.

They held it back, along with Course Forge as there were some bugs needed ironing out and user interfaces needed some work to make them community friendly, per replies posted in another thread a while back. I'm sure in time they will make an appearance, as progress seems to be being made with the game itself, so I would hope TI and CF would not be far behind.

;)

#3 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:39 AM

Terrain Importer now seems to have been made a part of a suite. Sounds so much cooler than an app. A suite! mh-Mh!

Quote from newbie Admin cjmaurer below, for the full post click here

As we get closer to launching version 1.0 of Perfect Golf, we're preparing some new things that will keep the community even more involved and connected.

None of those things are more important than opening up an Alpha/Beta version of our software suite that will include Perfect Golf, Course Forge and Terrain Importer for testing. We are considering a variety of models that we could pursue and are looking for your input on what you think will work best. ...

My two cents, you ask? Well you may! For one, using the words "even more involved and connected" to describe the level of community excitement before his announcement is a bit, well, a bit… um… euphemistic. Also, the last name "Maurer" is very specific to a certain region of Europe.

But I digress again. Terrain Importer will be released with everything else. As for the ETA of the suite, MJ has announced it as "imminent" 10 days ago in the Q&A stream. He was visibly struggling to come up with a word other than the dreaded "soon", so don't take him too literally.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#4 rwmorey

rwmorey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:11 PM

For any of these things I would like to see estimated dates, not "soon", "imminent", etc.

#5 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:31 PM

Would you prefer PP never announced the development at all and just released it when it was finished?

As a software engineer who works 15 hour days catering for unexpected things that 30 years in the biz can't even predict, I can tell you when I see posts such as this I'm thinking,  "WTFAY? Are you planning a marketing campaign around it?"

#6 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:51 AM

For any of these things I would like to see estimated dates, not "soon", "imminent", etc.

In a perfect (no pun intended) world, wouldn't we all, but we all know what happens when they do give ETA's.

The estimated date is reached, the product is nowhere to be seen and the community start wailing and complaining, because a date was given and they haven't delivered.

Developers can't win. They don't give dates and people moan. They did give dates and release slips, people moan.

:D

#7 rwmorey

rwmorey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:52 PM

I'm a developer as well and I know that projects always have timelines. Sure, sometimes they run over schedule but there is at least a target date. Given that PP has indicated the development seems to be pretty far along, and given that they are talking about having an open beta there is no reason they can't give an estimated time to release the beta, even if its simply a month and year.

#8 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:58 PM

Well if you're desperate for an estimated date, AJ posted quite a while back they were looking at Winter 2013

#9 rwmorey

rwmorey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:15 PM

Thanks Daxmaniac - I had not seen that posting.

#10 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:56 PM

Thanks Dazmaniac - I had not seen that posting.

Rich,

I managed to locate the reply AJ gve to my questions about release dates (it was a thread I started back in October), so obviously don't hold them to the dates given, as these things do slip, as I'm sure you're aware.

Course Forge Nov / Dec 2013 Version 1.0

Alpha Physics Test Build (Update) Not sure if we will release another one but if we do it will be Nov / Dec 2013 and allow you to load courses you make with CF

Terrain Importer Will be released as a Beta - there are some bugs we have had no time to iron out - with Course Forge.

Perfect Golf (Demo) Goal is Beta Release Winter 2013:  (Dec - Mar)

;)

#11 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 08:15 AM

I'm a developer as well and I know that projects always have timelines. Sure, sometimes they run over schedule but there is at least a target date.

Yes, but they're for not for the consumer's eyes. All worthy software releases run overtime, the only ones that don't are pushed out because of promises and are embarrassingly full of bugs.

My apologies for my abruptness earlier, I'd just come from the thread asking for alpha/beta test suggestions which turned into a "me, me, me..." collection of resumes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users