Photo
- - - - -

Just curious... What was going to be in the Links 1.08 patch?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:38 PM

I wonder if any of the guys here could speak to what they were working on back then.  I think it was pretty hush hush, but since it will never be released (or will it??? haha) maybe we can finally know. 

#2 Davefevs

Davefevs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:49 PM

Good question!

#3 FixAmer1st

FixAmer1st

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • LocationSun City Center, FL

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:27 PM

A 1.08 patch probably will never be released.

I could list a lot of things that were going be be looked at, plus a TON of AI fixes I had ready to be worked on, but why dwell on what will not happen. A Links 1.08 patch will not be realized. Sorry.

Mark also got caught up in setting up his LSPN site and changing how it runs to accommodate his many different tours, and then he got married and a family was started with the birth of his son and later another son.

It was a great run though and was lots of FUN.

Jerry

Links Golf
CPU_Match_Play_Tour.jpg
CPU_Director_2013.jpg
Administrator of KISS Tours

Dell XPS Desktop
4th Generation Intel Core i7-4790 @ 4.0 GHz
16 GB DDR3 Memory
Win7 64 bit Home Premium
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 4GB
1TB SATA HardDrive

#4 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 25 December 2013 - 12:17 AM

A 1.08 patch probably will never be released.

I could list a lot of things that were going be be looked at, plus a TON of AI fixes I had ready to be worked on, but why dwell on what will not happen. A Links 1.08 patch will not be realized. Sorry.

Mark also got caught up in setting up his LSPN site and changing how it runs to accommodate his many different tours, and then he got married and a family was started with the birth of his son and later another son.

It was a great run though and was lots of FUN.

Jerry

Curiosity.

B)

#5 Keith

Keith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 25 December 2013 - 02:08 AM

The 1.07 patch completely breathed new life into Links 2003.  It would have been interesting to see what v1.08 had in store.  Oh well, looking fwd. to PG!

#6 FixAmer1st

FixAmer1st

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • LocationSun City Center, FL

Posted 25 December 2013 - 05:26 AM

OK. They said curiosity killed the cat.  LOL   Here is a list of things sent to Mark by Andrew (I hope he does not get upset by me posting them here) for consideration for the 1.08 patch. I am searching for the ones I sent Mark on the Ani Fixes.

Jerry

PS:  Since this is a thread on it's own it will not interfere with the PP info being talked about.

1) As discussed allow ltf files to add custom conditions by hole similar to tees and pins

2) Add a selection of flag sticks eg red white or black white stripes (I think this is hard coded in links)

3) Add a time of day selection in the properties like a sky and then change the shadow angle based on the selection.  Perhaps limit it to dawn, morning, midday, afternoon and dusk with 5 separate sun angles.  Consider allowing skies to be classified under these headings

4) Get the hole by hole data (ie MOP_DATA ) to work in the ltf reporting

5) Proper use of 2 Texture Blends

6) Customizing links for use with controllers eg WI

7) Proper drop rules

8) Variable par settings for tournament or member play

9) RTS Dyna Cam

10) Different window sets

11) Altitude and weather effects

12) Animations for water

13) Stimpmeter

14) Variable rough settings (perhaps adjusting some of the variables that exist - flyer, etc)

15) Improvements to Hole previews for Elite players and others who like the caddie book concept.

16) Wind effect on greens

17) The ability to look at the green while another is putting

18) Slope and wind effects for elite

19) New swing type click on long shots RTS on chips and putts

20) Reduction of wind impact on chips

21) A new faster green setting - there should be slow, medium, fast, and glassy!

22) The ability to import *.txt files with pro names into the rosters so that you don’t have to retype the whole updated list again

23) A prompt to select a Ani to play with, the photo and hand (left/right) instead of having to select this in the roster setup. With all the ani’s released all the time it doesn’t make sense to have to select them at the start of your career.

24)The ability to play in any one of the 3 tours (Pro, Semi-pro and amateur) once you’ve qualified. This way you can setup the 3 rosters according to World rankings, US moneylist and Euro moneylist.

25) I know this one is a long shot but the ability to load the new LTF files to your Career Mode tournament setups will be neat

26) RTS: Increase the effect of hitting the ball off the toe or heel of the club along with the effect of inside out or outside in swings. This would decrease the directional accuracy for RTS and allow for the ability to hit a hook or slice on purpose just using the mouse movement. Using the current Links version, I once hit a 5 iron fade around a tree and managed to move the ball about 15 feet or so to the right which cut my putting distance in half leading to a birdie. I was really proud of that shot, but it sure would be nice if you could move the ball 30 to 45 feet using the same technique. This would also make RTS more consistent with PS and Classic Swing, especially off the tee.

Classic Swing: Speed up the backswing portion of the meter. This would make distance accuracy more consistent with PS and RTS and compensate for the additional difficulty of PRO RTS from the above so that the gap between PRO Classic Swing and PRO RTS doesn't get worse.

27) Add the ability to have grain effect on the greens.  Like the wind meter.  you could play smooth, some grain, grainy and very grainy

28) Is there a possibility in any of the upcoming patches where we can change the images on the game homepage, as the Sergio image is getting a bit dated now. See Attachments

29) A horizontal swing for RTS?

30) A right click swing cancel for PS?(like RTS has)

31) The choice of playing the back 9 holes first?

32) Consider Real Time Reporting for ltf files.  Like the restart send a message to the server when a player starts but sends the score after each hole.

33) Option in match play to concede a putt

34) The Ability to Mark Bad Pins so they don't get selected in random pin placements

35) An all white grid

36) Increase the rendering distance of objects now we all have more powerful computers.

37) Reconsider 2048x2048 textures

38) Any chance of having an option to disable the animation reactions?

39) I'd like the font above wind meter which depicts how far above / below the ball is relative to the cup to be black rather than white. Cant read in a bunker

40) in an older version of Links you could choose which player plays next (via a drop-down/combo box) in the post shot screen

41) Add a players handicap into the ltf file so the player starts on the first tee with their handicap as their to par score(Net)  Keep Gross.

42) The ability to select the level of cloudiness.  this affects the brightness of the textures in the game.  this way the skies will look even better.

Links Golf
CPU_Match_Play_Tour.jpg
CPU_Director_2013.jpg
Administrator of KISS Tours

Dell XPS Desktop
4th Generation Intel Core i7-4790 @ 4.0 GHz
16 GB DDR3 Memory
Win7 64 bit Home Premium
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 4GB
1TB SATA HardDrive

#7 Davefevs

Davefevs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 25 December 2013 - 07:58 AM

Nice

#8 Guest_Nemesis_*

Guest_Nemesis_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:10 AM

I don't see RESUME.   A good golf game must have the ability to resume a round - LIFE just gets in the way now and then.

#9 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:38 PM

I don't see RESUME.   A good golf game must have the ability to resume a round - like just gets in the way now and then.

RESUME ROUND feature after a crash was already in Links 2003, as was SAVE ROUND to allow you to return to a partially completed round at a later time from where you left off, so they didn't need to be added as part of the v1.08 MOD.

;)

#10 Guest_Nemesis_*

Guest_Nemesis_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2014 - 10:07 PM

RESUME ROUND feature after a crash was already in Links 2003, as was SAVE ROUND to allow you to return to a partially completed round at a later time from where you left off, so they didn't need to be added as part of the v1.08 MOD.

;)

You're not getting the point.  LIFE gets in the way and one has to shutdown their computer and take care of contingencies. I'm not talking about "crashed games".   ;)

We experienced that in Tiger Woods Online. Close the browser, power down and when you return home, power-on the PC, launch the game and resume right where you were before you had to leave.

For PerfectGolf to be "perfect", it must have a resume feature.  And...NO, not everyone likes to leave the machine powered on or let it go into standby.

#11 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:29 PM

You're not getting the point.  LIFE gets in the way and one has to shutdown their computer and take care of contingencies. I'm not talking about "crashed games".   ;)

We experienced that in Tiger Woods Online. Close the browser, power down and when you return home, power-on the PC, launch the game and resume right where you were before you had to leave.

For PerfectGolf to be "perfect", it must have a resume feature.  And...NO, not everyone likes to leave the machine powered on or let it go into standby.

If you re-read my post, you'll see I was getting the point.

SAVE ROUND allowed you to save your round at whatever point you had reached. PC could then be powered off and then the saved round reloaded whenever you had time to finish it. I presumed you would have been aware of this though Lee, as in other posts you stated you played Links 2003 as well as TW.

;)

• Tigers Agent likes this

#12 fungolfer

fungolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:39 PM

Exactly. And if you played at work, all you had to do is send the saved game file home via Mail and go on there. Never was a problem with Links. But I guess Lee's point is the Word RESUME. Well, Links really never had a resume tho :D :D

Who cares...

#13 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:26 PM

Thanks for your PM Lee Ray, very mature.

Please explain what I was instigating? You asked why a feature wasn't in a proposed patch, I replied to point out it was already in the game from the start, and you claim to have played Links 2003 so surely you must have been aware the feature was already there.

Exactly. And if you played at work, all you had to do is send the saved game file home via Mail and go on there. Never was a problem with Links. But I guess Lee's point is the Word RESUME. Well, Links really never had a resume tho :D :D

But it did, most of the time. Links allowed you to resume from a crashed game and also allowed you to resume a saved game from where you saved it. On odd occasions a game crash wouldn't let you resume so you had to reatart from 1st and also sometimes a saved game might chuck up the odd gremlin, but for the most part, both features worked and still do today.

Lee stated that a good golf game had to have a RESUME feature and I pointed out that it had the option to resume a crashed game and also to resume a saved game. The feature wasn't needed in the 1.08 patch as it was already there.

;)

#14 fungolfer

fungolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:30 PM

Sorry Daz, forgot to put that [Ironic] in my post ;) :D

• Dazmaniac likes this

Who cares...

0 user(s) are reading this topic