Photo

Am I going to be able to use the Free Unity to create a course?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jdeedler

jdeedler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 03:30 AM

I have been reading through here for a couple hours now. At this point the Unity terrain creator seems basic compared to the TW06 Designer I used to create courses.  Will we need to purchase additional terrain apps to be able to shape and control the terrain shapes, textures, water level, and elevations for Fairways, greens, tee boxes, bunkers, lakes, rivers, etc...

Or does this all need to be done in some kind of paint photo shop type program outside Unity and the Course Forge?

Basically will the Course Forge be providing any kind of textures. meshes, shapes, apps, tools, etc. to use with Unity.

Thanks, Jim

P.S. it would be helpful if there was a Sticky in this forum with some basic info about the Course Forge.

Corsair 750D case / Windows 10 64 bit / Intel i7 4790k w/HT Devil's Canyon  4.0 ghz ( over clock to 4.8 ghz. 4.4 cache )

Gigabyte Gaming 7 Board Z97X / 8 GB HyperX Savage 1866 DDR3 / Asus 460 GTX 1GB  ( 4GB total with 3GB shared )

240 Gig HyperX Savage SSD / 750 watt Antec PSU / 1 TB WD HHD  / Water cooled with Phobya LT 400 kit

Attached Thumbnails
  • post-4292-0-08760700-1443733851_thumb.jp
  •  

#2 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 05:18 AM

When the CF appears, you will likely be inundated with Tutorials and everything you need. Trust me, MikeJ is setting several things up to ensure the learning curve is as easy as possible. Granted, technical understanding will be needed - but those seeking a challenge will gain the support they need.

What you have now, is your own imagination whne using Unity. Nothing needs purchasing, you can create your own textures or find many freely available. The CF will come with a default set, within what we describe as, a Layer Library. Once you see how this works, it will aid in understanding what occurs upon the Unity terrain.

#3 Griz891

Griz891

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 08:53 AM

So what is the status of Course Forge? Are we going to see it available real soon? I'm probably going to purchase The Golf Club Friday, and start making courses on it. I've been looking at reviews the last month and that course creator looks like it'll be fun to mess around with. Just being able to make courses again is worth the $30. I'm not a mouse swing player but it sounds like it's not real hard from looking at other players comments. I guess I can always try my gamepad and use the analog stick....LOL  It should suffice the urge to make courses until the Course Forge becomes available. I definately have my heart set on it more than the other golf game, but like I said, this will soothe the appetite for making courses for the time being.

#4 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 09:23 AM

I've no idea how much TGC is, and whether it woulkd satisfy your need for what you seek.... however, I would urge you to give some time to Unity. Especially if you have yet to try it... it is free. Go for Unity 5.0.2f and indulge in some of the tutorials available, learning how to sculpt the terrain. It will be invaluable and addictive...

#5 jdeedler

jdeedler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 09:23 AM

When the CF appears, you will likely be inundated with Tutorials and everything you need. Trust me, MikeJ is setting several things up to ensure the learning curve is as easy as possible. Granted, technical understanding will be needed - but those seeking a challenge will gain the support they need.

What you have now, is your own imagination whne using Unity. Nothing needs purchasing, you can create your own textures or find many freely available. The CF will come with a default set, within what we describe as, a Layer Library. Once you see how this works, it will aid in understanding what occurs upon the Unity terrain.

That's nice hopefully he can show us some info before hand so we know whats coming.  Right now Unity just seems to be missing some tools that would make it easier to shape terrain. It's ok for larger area's but just trying to make a small sand trap...green elevations....knowing yardages...rough. still looking for making shapes and concave shapes on terrain...smooth entire area...general stuff.  I am just trying to create my own course terrain atm.

Corsair 750D case / Windows 10 64 bit / Intel i7 4790k w/HT Devil's Canyon  4.0 ghz ( over clock to 4.8 ghz. 4.4 cache )

Gigabyte Gaming 7 Board Z97X / 8 GB HyperX Savage 1866 DDR3 / Asus 460 GTX 1GB  ( 4GB total with 3GB shared )

240 Gig HyperX Savage SSD / 750 watt Antec PSU / 1 TB WD HHD  / Water cooled with Phobya LT 400 kit

Attached Thumbnails
  • post-4292-0-08760700-1443733851_thumb.jp
  •  

#6 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 07 October 2015 - 09:55 AM

All the Unity tools are there, in fact you'll only need a few.

Unity can't do sharp edges, that's where CF steps

in to do the fine tuning. Using a Halloween reference,

Unity supplies the bones, CF supplies the skin.

• jdeedler likes this

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#7 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 07 October 2015 - 01:04 PM

So what is the status of Course Forge? Are we going to see it available real soon? I'm probably going to purchase The Golf Club Friday, and start making courses on it. I've been looking at reviews the last month and that course creator looks like it'll be fun to mess around with. Just being able to make courses again is worth the $30. I'm not a mouse swing player but it sounds like it's not real hard from looking at other players comments. I guess I can always try my gamepad and use the analog stick....LOL  It should suffice the urge to make courses until the Course Forge becomes available. I definately have my heart set on it more than the other golf game, but like I said, this will soothe the appetite for making courses for the time being.

TGC is a great way to get into course designing. It is more limited than Course Forge will be, but on the plus side, everything is there from the start - no assets to acquire, other programs to learn etc. I started designing on APCD which can be tough going for some, but GNCD (TGC's designer) is just so much easier and more fun, especially when you want to make changes to your design.

I use a wired Microsoft 360 controller for both playing and designing on TGC. I've never used the mouse because the game was never originally designed for one. There have been a few updates to make mouse use better though, over the last year.

Just make sure you have a dx11 graphics card because TGC requires one.

• MERACE and Griz891 like this
life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users