6 replies to this topic

#1 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 01:32 PM

In Unity, what is the tool or proper way to see your "eye altitude", as shown in Google Earth?     In other words, the distance from your view to the actual surface or ground of your terrain?    I am not sure if this exists, but I have not been able to find it any topics on this in the Unity manual.

Thanks!   

#2 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 01:48 PM

It does not exist.

There are other ways to ensure that the scaling of magnitude and the proportions are correct, if that is what you need it for. They all involve importing and resizing a billboard, a texture or an object that can serve as a reference.

For instance if you want to know how much the distance of 10m is, go to Game Object > Create 3D > Cube, change its sides to 10 and then move it around in your scene to get an idea.

Or change the cube sides to x:1, y:60 and z: 1 and the cube will transform into a vertical pole that is 60 m high.

CF will come with a tape measuring tool, but that will stick to the ground at both ends.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#3 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 02:58 PM

In Unity, what is the tool or proper way to see your "eye altitude", as shown in Google Earth?     In other words, the distance from your view to the actual surface or ground of your terrain?    I am not sure if this exists, but I have not been able to find it any topics on this in the Unity manual.

Thanks!   

There is a first person controller in the unity standard assets, just drag it into your scene once you have installed it and you can walk around with your view at eye level.

#4 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 07:31 PM

Thanks for the replies... here is basically what I am looking to do.   In the lower right hand side of the image, you'll see the eye alt at 3605 ft.  In Unity, I want to be able to look at the terrain, just as I am doing here in google earth and measure up to 3605 ft.  But, as K11 indicated, I suppose it is not possible.  

eye_alt.jpg

#5 Jimbobh

Jimbobh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 11 October 2015 - 07:54 PM

You could download the terrain and overhead with Google Sketchup and import those into Unity and the distances would be fairly accurate. It would give you a start, and once you have the CF tools, you can throw the measure tool on it and scale if necessary. I did a tutorial on how I imported my terrain and overhead about 1 1/2 years ago here:  If this is what your after.

• RobV likes this

Gigabyte ga-z68x-ud3h-b3 Motherboard

Intel Core i5-2400 CPU@3.1GHz 3.70GHz

GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
16GB Ram   (2)G.Skill Ripjaws F3-10666L9S-8GBXL
Windows 7 Home Premium

#6 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 11:10 AM

Nice video Jim, definitely helped me a lot.   Unfortunately, my trial for Google Sketchup is just about over and do not have plans to pay for it at the moment.   Overall, this is exactly what I am trying to accomplish.   thanks! 

#7 Jimbobh

Jimbobh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 12 October 2015 - 11:34 AM

I used the free version to get the terrain and then opened the pro version only to export the fbx files needed. This way you wouldn't use up all of the free trial time they give you. Although I am not sure how the newest version of sketchup is, You might be able to find an older version that might work.

Gigabyte ga-z68x-ud3h-b3 Motherboard

Intel Core i5-2400 CPU@3.1GHz 3.70GHz

GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
16GB Ram   (2)G.Skill Ripjaws F3-10666L9S-8GBXL
Windows 7 Home Premium

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users