4 replies to this topic

#1 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 10:05 PM

Seeing that people are signing up to play in tournaments on an actual swing simulator makes me wonder how far the developers could advance the MS swing mechanic. 

*While leaving the current MS alone* I wonder if a new level of total shot control could be developed in the future.  Build on the brilliance of the existing MS mechanics.  It would be hard as hell to play.  So what? 

Fairness between swings goes out the window here.  No need to level play against other swing types if you create an interface that is really interesting and extremely demanding.  Some great ideas for both 3 click and MS are stifled because of the fairness issue.  This isn't about competing with other players with different swing types, just the experience the game provides. 

Since the game knows where you start the backswing, the transition point, the ending point, and the timing ratio, I wonder if adding these mechanics to create a unique swing experience would be possible.

(Hypothetical Wishful Thinking) Total Shot Control:

Shot trajectory:  No shot shaper.  Use the existing path and timing mechanic on MS for draws/fades but add a follow through component where trajectory is controlled by the amount of follow through.  The game could set a distance beyond the initial starting point to measure the amount of follow through.

A shorter follow through results in lower trajectories (similar to a held off finish/knockdown shot), a longer continuous follow through makes the ball fly higher.

Shot Power:  Have an acceleration requirement while maintaining good timing/ratio.  On the downswing, the game calculates the acceleration of the mouse movement from the transition until you reach the starting point. 

Most important for a good consistent swing would be slight acceleration while maintaining the .25 ratio.  Any deceleration would be disaster, as in real golf.  If you can accelerate more while maintaining a good ratio, even better. You hit the ball farther. 

No idea if any of this is possible to program. 

• tlvx likes this

#2 Vernon520

Vernon520

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • LocationWestcliff-on-Sea, Essex. U.K

Posted 23 October 2015 - 10:23 PM

On the question of fairness I can't see it really being an issue. With such a variety of different playing platforms for PG to be played on, from laptops to simulators and everything in between, there probably has never been any real fairness in the first place.

On the question of how far the developers could advance the MS swing mechanics, I would say, is more of a question would they want to and how many members would want it.

Bottom line. Wishful thinking at this point in time but that is only my point of view.

#3 tlvx

tlvx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 10:30 PM

Seeing that people are signing up to play in tournaments on an actual swing simulator makes me wonder how far the developers could advance the MS swing mechanic. 

*While leaving the current MS alone* I wonder if a new level of total shot control could be developed in the future.  Build on the brilliance of the existing MS mechanics.  It would be hard as hell to play.  So what? 

Fairness between swings goes out the window here.  No need to level play against other swing types if you create an interface that is really interesting and extremely demanding.  Some great ideas for both 3 click and MS are stifled because of the fairness issue.  This isn't about competing with other players with different swing types, just the experience the game provides. 

Since the game knows where you start the backswing, the transition point, the ending point, and the timing ratio, I wonder if adding these mechanics to create a unique swing experience would be possible.

(Hypothetical Wishful Thinking) Total Shot Control:

Shot trajectory:  No shot shaper.  Use the existing path and timing mechanic on MS for draws/fades but add a follow through component where trajectory is controlled by the amount of follow through.  The game could set a distance beyond the initial starting point to measure the amount of follow through.

A shorter follow through results in lower trajectories (similar to a held off finish/knockdown shot), a longer continuous follow through makes the ball fly higher.

Shot Power:  Have an acceleration requirement while maintaining good timing/ratio.  On the downswing, the game calculates the acceleration of the mouse movement from the transition until you reach the starting point. 

Most important for a good consistent swing would be slight acceleration while maintaining the .25 ratio.  Any deceleration would be disaster, as in real golf.  If you can accelerate more while maintaining a good ratio, even better. You hit the ball farther. 

No idea if any of this is possible to program. 

I like these ideas of further simulating the intricacies of a swing. However, I still want to be able to adjust stance, just like a Tour pro does.

The issue I have with the current motion, is that timing is too heavily weighted towards pushes and pulls, rather than hooks and slices.

Your follow through idea may be a good way of solving this conundrum.

#4 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 04:14 AM

Wishful thinking indeed Vernon.  And yes, it may not be a worthwhile pursuit.  Interest would likely be low and most people would find it very frustrating for a long time.  As it is, I'm having a blast with the current Motion Swing.  

But recent discussions about the shot shaper and the OGT thread about the simulator players made me think of the guys who are actually hitting golf balls to play the game.  

All of the input is coming from them.  Every part of the ball flight is completely within their control.  They have to create power.  They must to have the skills to hit different trajectories.  Nothing is given. 

To have all of that available in a motion swing would be incredible. 

But we already have some pretty amazing stuff available now ;)

#5 Vernon520

Vernon520

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • LocationWestcliff-on-Sea, Essex. U.K

Posted 24 October 2015 - 08:10 AM

Wishful thinking indeed Vernon.  And yes, it may not be a worthwhile pursuit.  Interest would likely be low and most people would find it very frustrating for a long time.  As it is, I'm having a blast with the current Motion Swing.  

But recent discussions about the shot shaper and the OGT thread about the simulator players made me think of the guys who are actually hitting golf balls to play the game.  

All of the input is coming from them.  Every part of the ball flight is completely within their control.  They have to create power.  They must to have the skills to hit different trajectories.  Nothing is given. 

To have all of that available in a motion swing would be incredible. 

But we already have some pretty amazing stuff available now ;)

I only see one issue with all that is going on in the threads and that is some of us want to move even closer to reality in PG.

I am sure much of this is because of the reality of the ball physics and as we should all know by now, that the ball physics of this game is the very foundation of PG.

It is little wonder then that there are cry's for further enhancements to create further reality in other areas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users