146 replies to this topic

#21 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:43 PM

olazaboll, your answer is a bit further down this post.

But first to Ian and his question of "when and how does the game know that a fairway is a fairway":

Specific attributes are being assigned to each spline/outline by the designer at their creation: Green, green fringe, fairway, fairway fringe, bunker, semir-rough, rough, deep rough.

These attributes consist of a set of textures (which can be twiddled with, improved, customized as you please) and of a "Physics Material" that will determine the ball physics. CF comes with lots of Physics Material presets - there are 3 for the fairways, for instance: "Fairway", "Fairway Soft" and "Fairway Hard". You can mix up these materials within one and the same golf course if you clone your fairway settings in the Layers Library to be able to use different physmats on different golf holes. There currently are 21 of these presets, from dirt to water to stone to lip of the cup, which will guide the way a played golf ball bounces and rolls out on each different surface.

The game will only recognise a fairway if or when a played ball lands on a CF fairway mesh - or shape - that has been assigned a fairways Physics Material. Or, to be more complicated, on ANY shape that hast been assigned a fairways preset. I could assign a fairway preset to a bunker if I wanted. But of course I won't.  

Should a ball land on the terrain at large, the not-CF-bit of the plot, I think it will be treated the same as the "rough" preset.

That's at least how I read it right now. Mind you, I don't know enough to state this as a fact, so I'm not necessarily right about it, even though I'm quietly confident that I'm not far off the mark.

and hello Ola, who posted right into my answer to Ian.

1. I have not designed for TW08 because of my Mac handicap - Windows only. The course desginers I used were, back in the days, the JN5 thing and the APCD (or the buggy Mac port of it). I never published a course design, so there is no previous work of me in existence. I was invited to this private Beta not so much on design merits than on because I'm a Mac User.

2. No, my CF hasn't come with any 3D object - though MJ a few days ago offered to issue us with a tree pack. 

- 2D's as in billboards? You could import and plant 2D trees in the far background and set them to face the camera at all times. Or the houses of a distant village. Why not? Anything 200yds away from the golf course might as well be 2D.

- Everything pertaining to these 2D and 3D objects is a Unity issue. The CourseForge does not deal with them. Importing and manipulating them is always the same in Unity. While you plant your course, CF will sit on the sidelines and do nothing about it - not it's job.

The public release of the CF, MJ told us long ago, would ship together with a selection of 3D objects. Which ones and how many of them will be included I do not know. 

• Davefevs and TheBigYin519 like this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#22 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:45 PM

Intriguing and likeable.... thankyou K11...

#23 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:10 PM

Yw. Signing off for today now - requests for answers will be delayed for the duration of a cold European winter night. 

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

<<<<<

#24 olazaboll

olazaboll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:40 PM

Thx K11 . Got my Q´s answered ... Seems then that we have been sitting on the same side of the fence :)

... When I talk about 2D i mean "2D - APCD-style"  .... 

#25 garynorman

garynorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationBedfordshire, England

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:09 PM

Would it be possible to create a CF texture which is, in effect, an alpha layer and thus show through the underlying unity painted textures, whist still maintaining the CF attributes?

Just a thought...

G

#26 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:12 AM

I don't know, G - I suspect that your idea wouldn't fly because the CF shapes do not have the same elevation as the Unity terrain below them, but sit about 15cms higher. So in your proposal the ball would be seen floating 15cm above the ground.

I'm not an expert or an official spokesperson. And if I should ever tell you guys something wrong here, I'd appreciate it if one of the Devs stepped in (quickly) and called me out on it.

There is a way to add a bit of variety to the CF shapes: Child meshes. Imagine drawing one fairway, and then adding a few mini-fairway meshes inside the original fairway. These child meshes could have a slightly different texture and perhaps even a different physics material assigned, so that you can create dry, muddy, uneven patches within the same mother fairway.

I have not tried that yet myself. The transistions from mother to child mesh would be quite tricky to get right, I imagine...

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#27 garynorman

garynorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:34 AM

I don't know, G - I suspect that your idea wouldn't fly because the CF shapes do not have the same elevation as the Unity terrain below them, but sit about 15cms higher. So in your proposal the ball would be seen floating 15cm above the ground.

I'm not an expert or an official spokesperson. And if I should ever tell you guys something wrong here, I'd appreciate it if one of the Devs stepped in (quickly) and called me out on it.

There is a way to add a bit of variety to the CF shapes: Child meshes. Imagine drawing one fairway, and then adding a few mini-fairway meshes inside the original fairway. These child meshes could have a slightly different texture and perhaps even a different physics material assigned, so that you can create dry, muddy, uneven patches within the same mother fairway.

I have not tried that yet myself. The transistions from mother to child mesh would be quite tricky to get right, I imagine...

Just a thought :)

Can you blend the meshes in CF?  I dabbled with child meshes in TW but 1) the seams were visible as you couldn't blend the textures and 2) they tended to suffer from tearing.  When 'blending' rough it was feasible, but it didn't really work when trying the method with fairways or greens.

#28 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:58 AM

Gary, all the meshes blend together, you can specify anything from a few cm to a metre for the width of blend.

#29 AndyJumbo

AndyJumbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:38 AM

Thank you for sharing those pics K11, you're the Boy, great job with CF, you are really able to use that program,
in your pic seemed that did not rain for months, poor grass!!! lol
very good design though!

• Davefevs likes this

#30 Andrew

Andrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:43 AM

Also it is possible to allow the underlying terrain texture to bleed through the mesh textures that really prevents any tiling, but I am sure Mike will be along to explain it better

• Davefevs likes this

#31 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:27 PM

Thank you for sharing those pics K11, you're the Boy, great job with CF, you are really able to use that program,
in your pic seemed that did not rain for months, poor grass!!! lol
very good design though!

Thank you Andy, glad of being the Boy. It's been too long since I have been that.

I do like those neglected, unsung heroes of The Game, the small country courses, proudly rural and unspoiled by the patronage of the rich, where you can drive up any time, take your bag out of the trunk (or boot) and play on 5 minutes later without the hassles of bureaucracy. Ah, all these unknown, deserted courses: Communion with nature and rugged fairways that haven't seen a bulldozer, ever, but have been plotted straight onto the natural terrain. No irrigation, btw, that's why there's that dry, patchy look. And at the end of the round the score doesn't really matter that much and it would be unforgiveably rude not to have a beer or four and a friendly chat with the locals. 

Now, I'm not only waxing lyrically about all this - because that was guiding vision behind my Willow Heath course. It's another matter whether I will be able to make it come alive in the end, but I do believe that as a fictional course designer, the vision comes first: What kind of a course should it be? Where is it? Does it have a story? And only once you have defined the character and the "personality" of your course, you can begin creating a terrain and plot out your holes. 

Willow Heath will have a nice mix of suspiciously easy and surprisingly challenging holes. On your first outing, you'll never know what's next. I will try and upload a few pictures of my course later today. It's not nearly finished, though...

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#32 garynorman

garynorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:35 PM

Sounds very promising...  Thanks for the confirmation guys :)

#33 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:22 PM

Meanwhile, back at the Farm...

This is the current state of my CF project. Looks and feels like a construction site. Behold the front 9:

WHf9_zpsf722dc88.jpg

​…and here's the back:

WHb9_zps21c662f1.jpg

Some shapes look weird, I know, because I did all sorts of stuff without updating the meshes. It's a glorious mess. I'd love to fine-tune that thing, but I'm still learning stuff and testing and, and, and...

Holes 17 and 18 are unmeshed still. Water will come into play for them and I need to figure out how to make and import bulkheads.

Have a nice week-end everybody!

• garynorman, Davefevs and nstone73 like this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#34 garynorman

garynorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:28 PM

Looks really impressive...  :)

#35 Davefevs

Davefevs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:18 PM

Agree.

#36 Davefevs

Davefevs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:19 PM

K11 - how long have you had the beta, and how many hours have you put in?

#37 Brucey Mc

Brucey Mc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationTeesside, UK #UTB

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:26 PM

Have a nice week-end everybody!

Not as good as the weekend you look like you're going to have K!  :)

#38 RustyBin5

RustyBin5

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:37 PM

KABLAMMO !!! long time no see :)

Nice to read some stuff bout the game and designer. I deliberately haven't visited this site for a few months - to avoid the hair pulling that would inevitably arise through my undoubted impatience!

Ill check back in again in a month or two - and look forward to playing you on the links soon perhaps - LONG LIVE THE DODO lol

#39 AndyJumbo

AndyJumbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:24 AM

I agree, i typed it in here, he's the Boy !
Cheers

#40 AndyJumbo

AndyJumbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:29 AM

Thank you Andy, glad of being the Boy. It's been too long since I have been that.

I do like those neglected, unsung heroes of The Game, the small country courses, proudly rural and unspoiled by the patronage of the rich, where you can drive up any time, take your bag out of the trunk (or boot) and play on 5 minutes later without the hassles of bureaucracy. Ah, all these unknown, deserted courses: Communion with nature and rugged fairways that haven't seen a bulldozer, ever, but have been plotted straight onto the natural terrain. No irrigation, btw, that's why there's that dry, patchy look. And at the end of the round the score doesn't really matter that much and it would be unforgiveably rude not to have a beer or four and a friendly chat with the locals. 

Now, I'm not only waxing lyrically about all this - because that was guiding vision behind my Willow Heath course. It's another matter whether I will be able to make it come alive in the end, but I do believe that as a fictional course designer, the vision comes first: What kind of a course should it be? Where is it? Does it have a story? And only once you have defined the character and the "personality" of your course, you can begin creating a terrain and plot out your holes. 

Willow Heath will have a nice mix of suspiciously easy and surprisingly challenging holes. On your first outing, you'll never know what's next. I will try and upload a few pictures of my course later today. It's not nearly finished, though...

Thank you for the answer, the complete answer, absolute!
i fully understood what you mean above here K11, you wrote true words and i have never been to play on those perfect fresh grass but i only see it on the TV!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users