#1 Mick-S

Mick-S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationDevon.u.k / born London

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:52 PM

has anyone found a way to get data for the U.K that doesn`t cost a fortune, one I found wanted £300 from Environment Agency LiDAR  100cm DTM and Ordnance Survey Terrain5 500cm £25.

#2 Brucey Mc

Brucey Mc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationTeesside, UK #UTB

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:20 PM

Me neither, just another reason to emigrate.

#3 Mick-S

Mick-S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:39 PM

just wondering if the Ordnance Survey Terrain5 500cm £25. is any good, probably not very detailed, I suppose you could always manipulate and improve once in Unity.

#4 Brucey Mc

Brucey Mc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:25 PM

Haven't seen that will take a peak, once found a site for my local club and the data looked good but it was two hundred notes for the pleasure!

#5 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 01 February 2014 - 06:54 PM

Hey MIck, I got this from over at coursedownloads. I am not well versed in these dems but maybe this will help you?

http://gdex.cr.usgs.gov/gdex/

you can get some more info at coursedownloads.com here is where I found the link:

http://www.coursedow...t=9505&forum=14

As far as the steps, I don't know.. I used to be able to get dems from the old usgs site, till they changed it...

Hope it helps..

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#6 nyt1976

nyt1976

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:15 PM

Mick,

Environment Agency allow for the use of LIDAR for free provided you can prove that there is no commercial gain to be made from the data.

I have managed to get hold of 4km2 of a site I am working on for my EIGCA golf course design qualification - should've been ~£500.

I'm not sure whether stating use of the data for this purpose would qualify as non-commercial use?

#7 Mick-S

Mick-S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:35 PM

Mick,

Environment Agency allow for the use of LIDAR for free provided you can prove that there is no commercial gain to be made from the data.

I have managed to get hold of 4km2 of a site I am working on for my EIGCA golf course design qualification - should've been ~£500.

I'm not sure whether stating use of the data for this purpose would qualify as non-commercial use?

o.k that's good to know, this is what it says on there site

As from 1st April 2013, archive LIDAR data is available at a 100% discount for all non-commercial (including academic) use. When placing an order, state the use as 'non-commercial' and the discount will be applied at the checkout stage.

so here goesi

edit :not having to much luck zooming in to required location tools don`t seem to work 

#8 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:00 PM

I had no issue Mick on the Chrome browser, although I didn't bother to download the data as it required approval of your purpose for the discount.

btw, my uncle is a Mick S living in Devon. Not in Ivybridge are you?

#9 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:14 PM

Sometimes I forget Mick, that you have been a member over there almost as long as I  and probably know about those links...

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#10 Mick-S

Mick-S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:53 PM

I had no issue Mick on the Chrome browser, although I didn't bother to download the data as it required approval of your purpose for the discount.

btw, my uncle is a Mick S living in Devon. Not in Ivybridge are you?

the problem was IE so used Firefox np, went for it and awaiting approval although not sure the jpg overhead will be to good looking at the map, the tiles I picked cost £900, don`t suppose it will get approved but you never know

and yes I live in Ivybridge, my wife is Elaine and I`m a West Ham fan, your profile doesn`t give much away so hard to tell if we are related.

#11 Brucey Mc

Brucey Mc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:06 PM

I'm having a blonde moment and can't find where you select the map that you are after..... any ideas fellers?

#12 Mick-S

Mick-S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:29 PM

I'm having a blonde moment and can't find where you select the map that you are after..... any ideas fellers?

order Lidar data / order using interactive map / register / enter postcode

but as I said above IE doesn`t seem to work, or have you got that far already ?

#13 Brucey Mc

Brucey Mc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:11 PM

I'm at the gym at the moment but I'm now not sure I am on the correct website. I am on the environment agency one, loads of stuff to download regarding fishing boundaries though!

#14 Mick-S

Mick-S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:42 PM

this is the one I used

https://www.geomatic...S/Homepage.aspx

didn`t here anything from them, so doubtful that I will get any data for free that is, lol.

#15 Brucey Mc

Brucey Mc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:09 PM

Cheers Mick, was on the wrong site but strangely it recognised my email address login account!  Have asked for my local course data so fingers crossed they come up trumps.  I am guessing our taxes have already paid for the data anyway.

#16 Davefevs

Davefevs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:57 PM

This is really encouraging that good quality data is available and free. Not that my efforts would be worthy of charging for anyway!!

#17 Brucey Mc

Brucey Mc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:00 PM

Fingers crossed Dave.

Finally it seems the forums are starting to find a bit of life in them too, now that some (lucky bar stewards) have got something to play about with.

• Davefevs likes this

#18 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:00 PM

the problem was IE so used Firefox np, went for it and awaiting approval although not sure the jpg overhead will be to good looking at the map, the tiles I picked cost £900, don`t suppose it will get approved but you never know

and yes I live in Ivybridge, my wife is Elaine and I`m a West Ham fan, your profile doesn`t give much away so hard to tell if we are related.

I didn't see the orthoimagery (as in overhead photo) layer there actually, it appears just elevation data. Unless I missed it, hopefully another area has it but georeferenced the same so it lines up perfectly.

The overhead imagery I've been using from the USGS is 1 foot data and perfect for the purpose as it gives a texture close to the 4096x4096 max accepted by Unity for the typical course.

(his wife is Val and live on Cleeve Drive. That's pretty coincidental as it is, but if you live on that street, then I think my uncle must have remarried and didn't tell us!)

#19 Mick-S

Mick-S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:16 PM

so your using elevation data from one site and the overhead from another ?

and Val is my other wife, but don`t tell anyone----------J/K quite a coincidence though Cleeve Drive is about 500yds from me.

#20 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:30 PM

Sorry, I was a bit unclear there. For the US course I've been doing, I got the elevation data and overhead image from the USGS, but their online service had both layers available from the one place--just select the area and grab both layers at once. I couldn't see that here. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users