29 replies to this topic

#1 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:06 AM

that's a damn good idea, hopefully someone will upload one for us to try.

Also, I'm thinking about importing an actual terrain file.  Where can I find such a file to experiment with?

Here's an overlay and a heightmap I did if anyone wants to play around with Unity with a real course.  
Vague instructions (from memory so wording won't match and I may have missed a step):
  • Download the two files above.
  • Start Unity and drag the two files into the Assets area.
  • Click the Muirfield.png texture in the Assets area, change Size to 4096 and 16 bit color.
  • Create a terrain and make sure it's selected by clicking on it. (Create terrain is in Game Object menu) 
  • Click gear icon for terrain settings. Set:

width: 2324
    length: 2324
    height: 45
    heightmap resolution: 1025
    control resolution: 2048

• Import raw file and select the Muirfield.raw file. Select 16 bit and Mac. Your terrain should now be bumpy.
  • Select the brush icon (near the gear icon) and under edit textures, choose add. 
  • Drag the Muirfield.png image to the leftmost box.
  • Change the width and height from 15 to 2324. Your terrain should now have the image on it.
  • Create a directional light (same place as you created the terrain from)
To roam around on the ground:
  • Go to top view by clicking the Y axis on little axis thingy in the top right of the viewport.
  • Somewhere there's an Import Package option. Choose "Character Controller"
  • From your Assets window, find the Character Controller under Standard Assets and drag the First Person Controller onto the terrain somewhere.
  • With the first person controller still active, change the Y position value to say a 100.
  • Increase the forward and sidewards speeds to around 40.
  • Press the play button and use the W, A, S and D keys, and the mouse, to move around.

• Unique likes this

#2 nightowl

nightowl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:07 AM

Terrific!  I'm all good until the last #4.  I'm not sure which Y value I should change.

#3 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:14 AM

Ah good point--I'll edit the tut. It'll be the Y position of the character controller, ensuring it starts above the terrain.

#4 nightowl

nightowl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:22 AM

Thank you!

#5 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:09 AM

I recommend having  this pinned for future reference.. Nice work Shimonko, thank you... I have copied and pasted it but I'm afraid it will get lost and it sure is helpful...

Do we have and area where things that are very helpful, like this can be pinned?

I wish there was a thumbs up smiley...

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#6 KenR

KenR

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:45 AM

Thank you!

Ken

#7 brummer

brummer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:21 AM

Shimonko, I can see a market for technical people like yourself providing a service like this. We give you an existing course / location etc and pay you to create the necessary files for us at an extremely reasonable hourly rate  :)

#8 Mick-S

Mick-S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationDevon.u.k / born London

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:55 AM

cheers mate, surprising how easy it is when someone else does all the hard work, wish they would at least release the terrain importer if nothing else.

also the Q and E keys move up and down

#9 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:11 PM

Great initiative, shinmonko. vwd.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#10 alannala1

alannala1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:04 PM

Thank you very much. Having successfully imported I will now have some play time with Unity. 

#11 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:08 PM

Shimonko, I can see a market for technical people like yourself providing a service like this. We give you an existing course / location etc and pay you to create the necessary files for us at an extremely reasonable hourly rate  :)

That would be an extremely boring job, plus we'd be superseded by Terrain Importer the day it came out.  :)  

#12 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:08 PM

Also remembered about these that you might have fun with, to get back at those snobbish country clubs.
Let's just say, spacebar is handbrake.

PC version    MAC version   - 50MB

(No idea about Mac--hope it works. More keys in this post)

#13 nightowl

nightowl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:46 PM

Thanks again for the files, shimonko.  :)

#14 Joe Habiger

Joe Habiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • LocationCoon Rapids, MN

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:36 PM

Just one question as I have currently 28 Minnesota courses all in 1 meter Lidar Data. I know how to convert all these to .raw format and import to unity, but one thing that has me stumped is how did you come up with the 45 as height? I know my courses are 1 meter data so shouldn't I be setting the height to 4?  4 feet = 1 meter or set it to 1 for 1 meter?

Currently the course heightmap is 2500 meters by 2500 meters. Didn't I here in this forum that the course forge can only take in an heightmap image that is only 2049x2049 maximum size? Unity can take an image larger then that because I have done so... Not every course is going to fit in a 2049x2049 square. :P  (Maybe I read wrong??)

Oh that file of Muirfield is bad***, great fun driving that truck around but also fun just seeing what that course looks like again in a game, been since Jack Nicklaus 4, 5, or 6 that I played it and was designed by Brian Silvernail in those days.

• AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
  • Sapphire Nitro+ SE AMD Radeon 6800XT
  • G.Skill Trident Z Royal RGB 16GB DDR4-3600
  • Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen 4 PCIe M.2
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD M.2 NVMe
  • Samsung 850 EVO 512GB SSD
  • Sound Blaster ZX Soundcard
  • EVGA 750 Gold Power Supply
  • Fractal Design Meshify S2 Case
  • Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R
  • "43 inch Vizio 4k Monitor

#15 Mick-S

Mick-S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationDevon.u.k / born London

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:52 PM

not to sure myself Joe, but in Mike`s tut getting started the height is 200

#16 TheBigYin519

TheBigYin519

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada via Scotland

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:01 AM

Joe H,

In this case the 45 is the 'spread' in the height of the .raw file. When you Import the .raw file into Unity it will show up with the 45 value in the height & the width & length values as well.

At the moment Unity has a problem with 4096 x 4096 files, that's what one of Mike's posts was about.

TBY

Win  10 64bit

#17 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:08 AM

Yeah, 45 for the height represents how many meters of elevation is represented by the heightmap, between the lowest point (pure black) and the highest (pure white). Here's the height map and overlay for Muirfield. 

aPOHeXg.jpg

That square patch of the Muirfield area had around 42m difference in elevation between its highest and lowest points. I add another 2m just in case the lowest point is in water (to give me room in Unity to dig out the water bed), then round up.

So if black is an intensity value of 0.00 and white is 1.00, the lowest point on my course (the darkest) on the right hand edge is 0.044 (2/45), as 2m below this point would be pure black. The highest point on my course on the left edge is nearly pure white. Just maximizing the range of the height file really. 

#18 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:16 AM

Currently the course heightmap is 2500 meters by 2500 meters. Didn't I here in this forum that the course forge can only take in an heightmap image that is only 2049x2049 maximum size? Unity can take an image larger then that because I have done so... Not every course is going to fit in a 2049x2049 square. :P  (Maybe I read wrong??)

Oh that file of Muirfield is bad***, great fun driving that truck around but also fun just seeing what that course looks like again in a game, been since Jack Nicklaus 4, 5, or 6 that I played it and was designed by Brian Silvernail in those days.

I haven't been able to enter a heightmap resolution higher than 2049, Unity just doesn't accept typing in anything more. However when I looked into it, some people claimed they could put in 4097. Maybe an earlier version allowed it?

I posed a question in a different thread asking if PG would work with multiple, different sized terrains stitched together, as each can have their own 2049 heightmap. It's one thing I'm looking forward to trying when the game is released.

#19 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:23 AM

When you Import the .raw file into Unity it will show up with the 45 value in the height & the width & length values as well.

No, the 45 will show up as the Y value in the "Import raw" dialog. The width and length values will be the heightmap resolution, 1025 in this case.

#20 Joe Habiger

Joe Habiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • LocationCoon Rapids, MN

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:25 AM

I don't use National Map Viewer like in the video, I actually have access to my states DNR lidar files and open them in Gobal Mapper. I'll figure something out. I did open one and on the left side when converting to grid based elevation some elevation numbers came up for the course but it was the whole course and was 83 meters from lowest to highest. I ran my curser over the area I have marked with the digitizer tool and the highest was 301 meters and the lowest was 279 meters in the lake so that comes out to 22 meters. This is the only way I know so far to get the elevation info to put inside of Unity. I'll probably have to wait and see if my friend can help out a bit but since we don't have the course forge yet I don't even want to waste my time unless you can still build your course in Unity without course forge or at least have a plot to import.

This section wasn't a how to anyways so I'll ask questions later in another post or something. Thanks for replying anyways.

Attached Files

• AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
  • Sapphire Nitro+ SE AMD Radeon 6800XT
  • G.Skill Trident Z Royal RGB 16GB DDR4-3600
  • Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen 4 PCIe M.2
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD M.2 NVMe
  • Samsung 850 EVO 512GB SSD
  • Sound Blaster ZX Soundcard
  • EVGA 750 Gold Power Supply
  • Fractal Design Meshify S2 Case
  • Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R