#1 wim1234

wim1234

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 09:29 AM

hello peeps

i have never been so mixed up by any game like i am now.

i see fantastic things in the pg game , and i see some rather not so good things.

my main issue right now , and i am not alone in that, is the fact you have to pay to play the usercourses

this does not sound right to me, oh and yes i saw all the attempts at justification from the devs.

its not a money issue, but a question of pinciples.

i am very much a fan of open-ended software...and to me the most succesfull programs were, were all

open for the users to made stuff, and the stuff couldd be used for free.( like fsx, trainz, links, e o)

ofcourse i see the need of income for the company, sure thing, but there are diff methods.

they choose the method best for them, i say, and they have that right , sure

i loved links, beacuse of the freely available and playable hundreds of courses....

the devs talk about community...yes nice....but eh, if i create something and want to give it away, i don not want

other ppl to have to pay for it to play it.

i say this is going to be a huge gamebreaker for a lot of ppl.

again its not the money, with enough courses , the value for money is high

its the principle of freely giving, which they make impossible this way, i do NOT like that.

i guess its the typical american way of doing business i am afraid. not a fan of american society, sorry.

well i will follow the progress of the game ofcourse, its still early days

pls no need to reply, i just somehow had to get this off me chest, for now i think i let it open, i am not decided whether to go with it yet or not.

greetings and no hard feelings here.

• LeazesNDR and Vernon520 like this

#2 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 05 December 2015 - 10:58 AM

IMO, turning the community element of this game into a private club is the worst possible move I could imagine. It actually saddens me to think of the damage it will do to what could have been THE all-time classic golf game.

You are right, it's not all about money, it's the psychological effect on human beings that seems to be being overlooked here. No one will dispute the 'value for money' that there will be when a constant stream of new courses are available to play, but this decision will mean 80%+ of possible players will not be a part of it, and that feeling of 'pay up or leave' will mean that the vast majority of new players in the future will do the latter. That sense of 'one community' will be destroyed and replaced by an 'us and them' resentment because this system offers no real choice at all. Nobody likes to feel that they are being manipulated, even if really we all are in almost everything in life! Freedom of choice is probably the thing humans value above all others and close behind it is fairness and equality. This system offers very little choice. Without the possibility of new user courses there is not going to be any long term interest for anyone who doesn't pay for a subscription.

At the very least I hope that PP adopt HB's 'suggested list' policy and at least make one or two of the better user courses available each month, for everyone who isn't a member of this 'club' to enjoy. That may at least reduce slightly the friction and resentment that I think this particular policy will inevitably breed among the people who cannot or will not pay a monthly subscription. It's apcd-courses.com all over again, but this time it's much, much, worse because there really are no alternatives.  :(

• LeazesNDR, MERACE, sirputterman and 2 others like this
life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#3 Golden Bear

Golden Bear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 05:09 PM

"IMO, turning the community element of this game into a private club is the worst possible move I could imagine. It actually saddens me to think of the damage it will do to what could have been THE all-time classic golf game."

No damage is being done and to predict a doom and gloom scenerio is just silly and faceious.  It is quite a simple decision.  Either you are willing to pay for the great game that this is or simply go away and play the inferior golf games on the market.  But it is getting rather annoying with all the whining and complaining being done about this subject by so many.

As Charlie Brown would say..."good grief!"

#4 PELO

PELO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 06:59 PM

"IMO, turning the community element of this game into a private club is the worst possible move I could imagine. It actually saddens me to think of the damage it will do to what could have been THE all-time classic golf game."

No damage is being done and to predict a doom and gloom scenerio is just silly and faceious.  It is quite a simple decision.  Either you are willing to pay for the great game that this is or simply go away and play the inferior golf games on the market.  But it is getting rather annoying with all the whining and complaining being done about this subject by so many.

This is agreat golf game? Really!! This thing needs a lot of work before it can be called a golf game. I think PP are able to do it and eventually we will have only a good golf game.

• TRCThrobbinhood likes this

#5 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 07:04 PM

i guess its the typical american way of doing business i am afraid. not a fan of american society, sorry.

What hell does this mean?   Its a video game, buddy... not the government or politics.. geez. 

#6 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 05 December 2015 - 07:21 PM

I was all set to start learning Unity and then start designing courses for PG. I've now put that decision on hold. That's one less designer around here and I would class that already as damage. I am unlikely to be the only one who makes this decision.

A large number of players that could have been potential future designers will not even stay around under this system - they will therefore not contribute anything. I would class that as damage too.

There will be less players generally - less people for multiplayer games - less chance to make new friends etc.

The decision to purchase a pass is only 'quite simple' if you have a purely financial decision to make. If you have an ethical one it is less so.

To call my post facetious is highly inaccurate.

• MERACE and TRCThrobbinhood like this
life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users