2551 replies to this topic

#2501 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 05:31 PM

LOl K yer cheers... was kinda burnt out, don't know how you guys keep churning them out at the quality you do, I was planning to slow burn this but i'm up to 13 holes already.  I think my courses are there to be picked apart up close and personal, i don't apply the high attention to detail of most designers here, but i get away with it to a certain degree, patience is def not one of my virtues.  

I get tired of CF quite a lot, tbh. It's getting repetitive and I keep feeling frustrated about performance-crushing grass billboards, clumpy-looking Speedtrees cursed with a distance LOD that makes me puke in disgust and endlessly stuttering low FPS test-plays at reduced graphics settings. So I try to force myself to keep my latest baby on the back burner and think through every aspect, sometimes let it be for a few days, before I experiment with a new, desperate attempt of eking out more oomph while wasting less polygons. All the while making things look better and more realistic. 

Still, CF'ing away merrily is always a very strong itch - and I know I can't escape it and need to go scratch it sooner or later. 

Also thanks and congrats to all for collectively hitting the 2.5K mark with Show & Tell.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#2502 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 13 September 2016 - 06:38 PM

It kind of blows my mind that someone could find such a specific criticism about such a bare bones screenshot.

All I can say about it is again, this is after a very, very small amount of work. I don't know what else you are expecting at this point. The green texture is a new texture I have created recently... perhaps it doesn't look that way because I have used the mow pattern previously, but it is definitely one I have not used on a released course before. You can't really notice this from a distance. Some of the other textures are recycled, but they are no means final choices. Generally my process is to copy a library from a finished course to get something started, and then I make adjustments to it later.

I could easily make my own point that many of the courses released that I have played use what appear to be nothing but the Course Forge stock textures or slight variations thereof, and yes, this includes some of my own early releases, but it's not really any of my business to do so. I'm not in competition with anybody. I do my own thing, and if people like it great.... if they don't like it, they can easily download something else. It costs them nothing except a little bit of time and a little bit of bandwidth.

I have had issues in the past with beta testing where people wanted to argue with me over superficial and subjective design choices.... generally those are not up for negotiation with me. I make exceptions where there are technical problems (and I'm always open to that), but when somebody tells me that "square tee markers aren't appropriate for a country club" or "you should use tan sand in your bunkers instead of white", then I tend to tune out. 

I apologize for continuing to beat this horse, but I do not react well with certain kinds of criticism.... part of that is due to some personal demons which I will not bring up here, but some things need to be understood.

I would very strongly advise against suggesting to somebody that they should  "do what someone else is doing". For starters, that kind of implies that person doesn't pay attention to other people's work, but it also makes it hard for them to feel like their own work is anything else but inadequate.

I worked in retail for a very long time and learned quickly that trying to make everybody happy actually makes nobody happy because any changes that you make will always piss off somebody.

This is the kind of thing that made me quit designing Links courses for several years, and it's kind of made me not really want to work on this one, to be perfectly honest. I don't *have* to release this course to anybody.

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#2503 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 06:50 PM

Don't let one guy's opinion ruin it.  I love all your courses.  Black Wolf being my favorite so far on the sim.  Great job on that one.  Really looking forward to Pebble Beach.  

• KenR and cajuncapgun like this

#2504 garynorman

garynorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationBedfordshire, England

Posted 13 September 2016 - 07:14 PM

It kind of blows my mind that someone could find such a specific criticism about such a bare bones screenshot.

All I can say about it is again, this is after a very, very small amount of work. I don't know what else you are expecting at this point. The green texture is a new texture I have created recently... perhaps it doesn't look that way because I have used the mow pattern previously, but it is definitely one I have not used on a released course before. You can't really notice this from a distance. Some of the other textures are recycled, but they are no means final choices. Generally my process is to copy a library from a finished course to get something started, and then I make adjustments to it later.

I could easily make my own point that many of the courses released that I have played use what appear to be nothing but the Course Forge stock textures or slight variations thereof, and yes, this includes some of my own early releases, but it's not really any of my business to do so. I'm not in competition with anybody. I do my own thing, and if people like it great.... if they don't like it, they can easily download something else. It costs them nothing except a little bit of time and a little bit of bandwidth.

I have had issues in the past with beta testing where people wanted to argue with me over superficial and subjective design choices.... generally those are not up for negotiation with me. I make exceptions where there are technical problems (and I'm always open to that), but when somebody tells me that "square tee markers aren't appropriate for a country club" or "you should use tan sand in your bunkers instead of white", then I tend to tune out. 

I apologize for continuing to beat this horse, but I do not react well with certain kinds of criticism.... part of that is due to some personal demons which I will not bring up here, but some things need to be understood.

I would very strongly advise against suggesting to somebody that they should  "do what someone else is doing". For starters, that kind of implies that person doesn't pay attention to other people's work, but it also makes it hard for them to feel like their own work is anything else but inadequate.

I worked in retail for a very long time and learned quickly that trying to make everybody happy actually makes nobody happy because any changes that you make will always piss off somebody.

This is the kind of thing that made me quit designing Links courses for several years, and it's kind of made me not really want to work on this one, to be perfectly honest. I don't *have* to release this course to anybody.

Someone is always going to complain about something...  Not enough of a, too much of a, dont like this, can you add more of that...  The only person that really matters in your design process is you.  No offence to the critic, but does he know CF or Unity or Photoshop or the other things that need to be harnessed to make a halfway decent course?  I suspect not, and as such really his opinion is insignificant (again no offence intended)...

The only person I have to satisfy with my designs is me.  If I think its good enough then who cares really?  I'm designing for myself at the end of the day.  If someone else benefits from that then thats great.  If not, thats life.

For the record, I think that your designs are great and I'm sure Pebble Beach will be no different.

Gary

• Harald and DC#1 like this

#2505 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 07:16 PM

I'm probably overreacting but once in awhile it feels good to blow off some steam.

• cajuncapgun likes this

#2506 slewin

slewin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 10:09 PM

Yes you agree with the above. Some of my courses have been hammered in the forums by certain individuals and I always grab the constructive criticism and disregard the rest. Matthew have you considered using the terrain overlay feature in CF. it's great to give the textures a natural realism and not look too generic.

#2507 shanker01

shanker01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 10:10 PM

Matt your courses are my by far right up there with the best, and you also understand quality and frame rate issues. Thats why you design some of the best playing courses period!!!! Keep up the great work and thank you for your incredible effort.

stock 7700k intel cpu

gtx 1070 gpu

liquid cooled

250 ssd drive and 1 terabyte hard drive

32 omen q monitor

#2508 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 10:57 PM

Yes you agree with the above. Some of my courses have been hammered in the forums by certain individuals and I always grab the constructive criticism and disregard the rest. Matthew have you considered using the terrain overlay feature in CF. it's great to give the textures a natural realism and not look too generic.

I've looked at maybe keeping the overhead image below the non-spline textures and maybe letting some of it show through underneath.... is that what you mean? I've noticed this kind of effect on Winged Foot and Merion. I've actually kind of been doing it on some of the cliffs so far.

#2509 slewin

slewin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 10:59 PM

Matthew are you using a OH image of Pebble to trace the course out?

#2510 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 03:32 AM

Yes, I'm working off an overhead map.

#2511 KenR

KenR

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 03:51 AM

You do great work Matt; your courses are right up there with the best of them. Very much looking forward to PB, and hope to see more screenshots as you move along.

• Harald and frank70 like this
Ken

#2512 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 15 September 2016 - 07:38 PM

Wonder if Dropzone can find fault with these textures? Maybe they're not quite to the standard of Highfade and Gary, lol.

CsauJlKUkAEipwQ.jpg

• garynorman likes this

#2513 olazaboll

olazaboll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 07:46 PM

Wonder if Dropzone can find fault with these textures? Maybe they're not quite to the standard of Highfade and Gary, lol.

CsauJlKUkAEipwQ.jpg

What is that ??? ..... Links-99 ?? :)

#2514 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 11:55 PM

20160915174220_1_zpscfyg6i4i.jpg

20160915174349_1_zpsvaehpaio.jpg

20160915174504_1_zpskcld2bhc.jpg

• luetze, Harald, Kablammo11 and 13 others like this

#2515 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 16 September 2016 - 12:11 AM

Nice Matthew!!! Nailing it man! Looking forward to this!

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#2516 Sinewiz

Sinewiz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationMichigan U.S.A.

Posted 16 September 2016 - 12:27 AM

Thanks for tackling this classic Matthew. Really looking forward to it. ;)

Lakes of Taylor Golf Course

Links at Gateway Golf Club

#2517 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 12:49 AM

OK, I think the guy who criticised has been sufficiently chastised.

• nightowl and mebby like this

#2518 luetze

luetze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 September 2016 - 07:45 AM

Looks fabulous! Keep up the great work, Matthew.

#2519 wim1234

wim1234

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 10:01 AM

Now that is looking great..

#2520 KenR

KenR

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 04:04 PM

Looks awesome, thanks for the update pics... :)

Ken

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users