axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:27 PM

When the game comes out.

I know for myself, I love to design golf courses for the game, however, I'm not really into making my own textures, structures etc... So if PP would consider making available the  texture sets that they have already set up and used on the Stock courses that will come with PG, then I for one would very much appreciate it... I would even consider paying a little extra to get those with the full knowledge that I won't be able to edit them, just use them on a custom course that I design..

So I can go into CF/Unity and already have a set of textures ect. from all the stock courses,  that were used by PP to make the stock courses and I will be confident in knowing that these will work as they do on said stock courses.. 

If that is not possible thats ok, I will be content to just play the game but I think maybe some of us would appreciate it, I know, I just don't have it in me to make my own nor is it something I have ever wanted to do. I haven't done it for TW's in 8 years of designing and I don't want to start now..

So I appreciate any consideration in this matter..

Thanks

Axe

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#2 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:54 PM

I have plenty of 1024x1024 textures that I've made for Links that I can make freely available. I doubt though that they will be usable in CourseForge, as I think it uses a technique of blended textures, using one for the colour, over a large area, and another for the detail. They may be usable for the Unity parts of the course though. Maybe someone in the know could reply.

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#3 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 06:56 AM

CF uses Shaded Textures, or two textures that are overlaid. Sorry for re-posting an old image, but it explains best how it goes.

Texture 1 is what you would call the "proper" texture, containing the colored, seamless pattern and general look of a patch of ground. Texture 2 is also referred to as the "shader". The brighter bits of the shader let Texture 1 shine through, the darker ones cover it. In the example below, the texture is tiled at 55 meters, the shader above at 6 meters. 

rouhgpatch_zpsc8a0a23e.jpg

Axe, when I was offered the opportunity to test the private beta, CF came with all the PP textures and shaders we have already seen on the many screen caps and on Steve's and Brian's courses. And these were already "organized" into fairways, greens etc inside the Layers Library. It goes without saying that all of them - and maybe more and new ones - will be made available to course designers.

You will get the stock textures. I mean, come on! What course design software would ever ship without course textures? There never was any question, let alone mention, of you not getting them. And if my own little texture fetish about selfmade textures has led you to believe that you would get a texture-less course designer, then I apologize for inadvertently misleading you.

@ Acrilix. You can use your own textures if you want, then add a stock shader to them in the Layers Library. Drag your texture file into the default texture folder, then drag and drop its thumbnail into the texture field of the library. Done.

If you know how to make your own textures, creating a new shader is exactly the same procedure.

@both and all: We are talking here about golf course textures, btw.

Textures for rock, mulch, mud, gravel, pine needles etc that cover all the areas outside the golf course, are applied not through CF, but via Unity. Unity, too, comes with a few stock textures already, and new ones can be imported and used very easily.

(I know, it seems a bit confusing at times. But you are going to be okay.)

• Unique likes this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#4 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:47 PM

So, are you saying Unity uses good old fashioned textures, not blended ones with shaders?

If so, then a few of mine will be usable, though most would fall into the range of the CourseForge.

#5 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:50 PM

Whilst the blended textures solve much of the tiling issue they don't seem to look anywhere near as good as standard textures up close.

#6 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:08 PM

Whatever looks good to you and works for you, Acrilix... But kindly post one of your gems to make your case. I'm not sold on any paritcular method and always open to potential improvements. 

Oh, and let me add here that CF does not force you to use blended textures with shaders. If you prefer, you can of course leave the shader out and go solo with your texture. If you want me to preview one of yours in my private beta CF, let me know.

The purpose of the blended texture, imo, is not so much to fight the (inevitable) tiling, but to create something to cover vast areas of ground (like a fairway) in a way that looks convincing both from afar (Texture 1) and close up (Texture 2 aka Shader).

Unity can and does use all sorts of textures with multiple blends and layers, btw, for water and imported objects, for example. But the Unity terrain is limited to a single texture or to a texture with a bump map (or normal map).

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

<<<<<

#7 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:11 PM

Axe, when I was offered the opportunity to test the private beta, CF came with all the PP textures and shaders we have already seen on the many screen caps and on Steve's and Brian's courses. And these were already "organized" into fairways, greens etc inside the Layers Library. It goes without saying that all of them - and maybe more and new ones - will be made available to course designers.

You will get the stock textures. I mean, come on! What course design software would ever ship without course textures? There never was any question, let alone mention, of you not getting them. And if my own little texture fetish about selfmade textures has led you to believe that you would get a texture-less course designer, then I apologize for inadvertently misleading you.

No, nothing you said or did led me to believe anything, one way or the other.. Maybe it's because I keep hearing talk about having to buy this and that over at Unity.. So I thought I would ask the question to PP and maybe they could have given me such a simple answer.. ;)

Boy, do I feel like the village idiot.. Anybody with half a brain should have known this.. :rolleyes:

Come on boy's, lets stay on topic please..

Thread closed......................

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#8 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:52 PM

@K11 - I never said they were gems and I am not trying to make any case. :angry: 

As I said in my first post, I have plenty of course textures and I am willing to share them if they are of any use to anyone. I just didn't want to waste time uploading them if they are unusable for creating courses with this software.

#9 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:59 PM

They are usable.

:wacko:

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#10 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:00 AM

CF will come with some Default textures and some variations on them too. We've tried to keep it it as open as possible for people to use customised textures however so I'm hoping the community will produce some nice ones themselves as K11 has done and even more hopefully they will share them with others although that can be a double edged sword as when I released a bunch of mine for Links 2003 ages ago, it seemed the next 50 courses all used those textures! 

What do they say about variety?

• TheBigYin519 likes this

#11 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:34 PM

Thank you for the reply.

Done with designing.