#1 DC#1

DC#1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • LocationWalnut Grove,MN

Posted 09 January 2016 - 06:50 PM

I just D/Led to the latest version and have been watching tutorials. What are the extensions that you want from the asset store "free ones" and will extensions that were made in Unity 4 work with 5. Was looking at the "world builder" that does terrain.

#2 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 09 January 2016 - 07:28 PM

You don't want the latest version for Course Forge. I believe you want 5.1.2

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#3 DC#1

DC#1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 07:34 PM

Why?

#4 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 09 January 2016 - 07:36 PM

Later versions don't work properly with CF at this time. This may change when CF is open released, I guess.

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#5 jimbob59

jimbob59

Advanced Member

• Team Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • LocationNewcastle, England

Posted 09 January 2016 - 07:46 PM

Acrillix is correct in that CF at present uses 5.1.2  but they may use a newer version when its eventually released.  No harm is practicing on the latest version until we know what  the final Unity version will be.

Course Forge sits on top of Unity and as far as I understand there will be enough assets in CF to build courses, eg  textures for fairways, rough  rocks etc.  Trees and grasses etc.  As far as buildings etc  I have no idea what they will include..  However it would do no harm to mess around  importing free assets from the Unity store again to practice with.

Sorry cant help  with  assets from unity 4 but if they work on the latest version they should work in CF.  Give it a try

Havn't heard  good reports about "World Builder".  Perfect Parralel also have  Terrain Forge which can import height map terrains .  Again sorry no idea if this will be free or a paid download but seems like a good idea to wait to see what is included.  TF may be free or at least cheaper than World Builder 

Best advice is to go ahead with the Unity you've downloaded create a terrain, add a texture and get aquainted with sculpturing the terrain,  using the unity tools,  practice importing any of the free assets and generally mess around with them.  Try the Particle assets like fire and  Smoke,  very interesting to see what effects can be made.

Shouldnt be long now till CF is released

#6 DC#1

DC#1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 07:54 PM

Thanks guys. That's what I'm doing know is just messing around and trying to get use to the tools and understand how they work. I knew course forge has the terrain importer. I didn't know that course forge would have textures, rocks, etc; I thought you got that from Unity.

#7 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 09 January 2016 - 08:34 PM

The CF asset package that Mike puts together to accompany Unity 5.1.2 has enough content to be able to layout a golf course. There are trees, grasses, bushes, rocks, hazard stakes and of course all the textures for the tees, fairways, rough, bunkers, water etc.

Many designers do however find their own objects, textures and import them in to Unity to use in their creations. Practicing in Unity is a great way to learn the basics of terrain layout and sculpting and making use of height maps, as CF itself will enable you to draw out the splines and apply your textures for the holes, but a lot of the work once the holes are laid out is all about Unity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users