#1 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:01 AM

Having numerous questions I thought it wise to discuss it here.

Trees.   

• As I understand it only trees created with the tree creator will be effected by wind and it is unwise to import other 3d models as far as trees are concerned.

• Tree creator trees are not "locked" and can be copied, changed or altered, for instance the same tree with another set of leaves?

• What is a texture atlas and when, why and how is it created?

• I've read that it is better to use mesh rather than plane for leave/branches?

• Is it wise to have a separate project just for tree creating and then import it into your project or do you just make your trees inside your course project?

• To reduce the cloning effect, can you take one existing tree, make 4 copies, alter each slightly in the tree creator so that you have Tree1a to Tree1d? Is it bad for performance?

Any ideas would be most welcome. :) 

Intel Core i5-6600 CPU 3.3 GHz       Geforce GTX 1060        16GB  RAM       Windows 10 64 bit

Hazyview  (600m above sea level)    --   Nautilus Bay  (Revamp done)  --  Cape Fear  (TGC  adaptation)  --  Aloe Ridge  --  Nahoon Reef GC  --  Chambers Bay 

Abel's Crossing  --  Solitude Links GC

#2 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 01:25 PM

1. No - but I've found for a tree model to be affected by the wind, I've had to define it as a terrain tree and paint it on the terrain, not just drag it on. I suspect there may be other ways too, e.g. adding hinge joints.

2. That depends where you duplicate it. If you duplicate it in the hierarchy, you will have an instance of the tree and if you change the composition of the tree, all instances will also change (only position/rotation and scale are unique to each instance). If you duplicate the tree in the Asset browser, then you can alter each tree's composition separately.

There is a "Break Prefab Instance" command in the menu which IMO should "break the prefab instance" and allow individual control of the composition of trees, but I couldn't get it working when I tried it. I'll have to revisit.

3. A texture atlas packs multiple textures into a single texture as the overhead of loading lots of individual texture files during game play can be high. Good for performance.

The compromise is that the graphics card has to have more memory to cater for the bigger texture file, otherwise it'll have to unload something else to make room (bad for performance).

4. Depends on the tree. A palm tree with its few curved fronds would be better served with a mesh, but a tree with very dense foliage would be more efficient with planes. If planes look bad, then see how crosses look, then triplanes (maybe even billboards), as meshes are the most expensive.

5. Separate project so eventually you can create your own tree packages. Then each project, import the appropriate tree packages.

6. It's worse for performance, because when you design a tree, it creates a prefab. The prefab consists of the resulting mesh, optimized tree and leaf materials and a tree data file describing how the tree was made so it can be re-edited (and I suspect affected by wind in the game).

When you duplicate a tree (in the asset browser), all this is duplicated. Even if you use the same materials/textures for both trees, the materials/textures are duplicated. You can however delete the duplicate materials and tell the second tree to use the ones from the first tree.

• highfade likes this

#3 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 08 March 2014 - 02:19 PM

Thanks Shimonko.

I think I'll rather just use what will be offered by CF and the community. Planting a terrain is my least favorite part of course creating as it was with APCD. 

I'm also having problems with the grass planting where certain square and rectangular areas the grass just disappear  while I'm painting. It's not that I'm to far away it is just in those areas. :blink:

Intel Core i5-6600 CPU 3.3 GHz       Geforce GTX 1060        16GB  RAM       Windows 10 64 bit

Hazyview  (600m above sea level)    --   Nautilus Bay  (Revamp done)  --  Cape Fear  (TGC  adaptation)  --  Aloe Ridge  --  Nahoon Reef GC  --  Chambers Bay 

#4 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:26 PM

For some reason while planting grass it starts disappearing in square and rectangular blocks? If I delete grass on some other area the grass planted will reappear. It is as if I'm only allowed to plant just so much before it starts taking away? Any thoughts. :huh:

For some reason I can't plant in this open block.

ScreenHunter_125Mar101821_zps6d19ff5d.jp

#5 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:22 PM

I really wish somebody could explain that to you - I'm afraid I can't. Never seen this happen before.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#6 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:47 PM

Try adjusting your grass density in the terrain settings - it's likely that you're running into some limit with the number of individual grass blades.

#7 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 11 March 2014 - 06:42 AM

Try adjusting your grass density in the terrain settings - it's likely that you're running into some limit with the number of individual grass blades.

I think you're right Mike, as soon as I start thinning out the grass it reappears. There must be some golden number as to how high you can set the opacity to still be inside the allowed grass objects/sqm.

#8 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 01:48 PM

Oooh.. find the number, find the number... ;)

#9 Davefevs

Davefevs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:15 PM

42?

#10 Stephen Sullivan

Stephen Sullivan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationWorksop, Nottinghamshire

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:29 PM

666?

Posted Image

#11 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:41 PM

#12 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:51 PM

Obviously it is 1.61803

#13 TheBigYin519

TheBigYin519

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada via Scotland

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:13 PM

Daz,

That's a load of PIE

Win  10 64bit

#14 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:41 AM

If I could pick a number, I'd have to go for Mike's golden mean… witty little sequence of posts, guys.  

But of course, the proper number would be… 11

• Erik Lugris likes this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#15 TheBigYin519

TheBigYin519

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada via Scotland

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:31 PM

HHGTTG

Win  10 64bit

#16 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:37 PM

Daz,

That's a load of PIE

Close, it's a load of Pi

:D :D

#17 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:05 PM

Isn't it a Life of Pi... ? Piscine thread's getting annoying now...

#18 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:50 PM

We talking pertaining to fish or heading down the swimming pool?

#19 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 17 March 2014 - 05:58 AM

Too bad there is no top view billboard. If there's going to be an top view option in the game..., well it looks a bit thin. :mellow:

#20 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 17 March 2014 - 04:32 PM

Can someone please help.

I've got a thin line artifact above my detail grass objects. I googled it, there is an explanation regarding removing and adding alphas and saving as 32bit but I need it in very simple steps; I use Gimp.

thanks ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users