#1 rwmorey

rwmorey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 07:29 PM

Hi --

I have to say that I have been "lurking" around here for a while - mostly just checking in every week or so to see if Course Forge has FINALLY been released. 

However, I too am concerned about the complexity of Course Forge. I am also concerned about the need to download and install Unity first. Is there not a redistributal version of Unity that PP can include with the install? 

What if Unity version "X" is discontinued but PP hasn't moved on to the next version yet and you want to install Course Forge? 

And if the need to have unity exists, what does Course Forge actually provide? Could one, in theory, make a course without Course Forge?

And what about the various discussions as to the hold up being copy protection or whatever for courses? Is that going to apply to ALL user created courses or just ones a user might want to try to sell? I certainly don't plan to sell courses but I might want to give a copy of a course or two to a friend and vice versa. I own Photoshop but Adobe doesn't make anything from the work I create inside it. Since one can't play a Course Forge course without Perfect Golf I don't see how or why PP can justify forcing users to pay for user created content.

Additionally, I am concerned at what I've read as far as Course Forge not being released until Perfect Golf is released. I will not spend money on the game just to get to the course designer tool. I want to be able to experiment and use the course designer tool before I decide if the tool is usable enough for me to enjoy it and then I would purchase the game to play my courses. The course architect is what drew me to this game to begin with and its been THREE YEARS and I'm still waiting.

It feels to me as though Perfect Golf is acting like a big company (a la EA) when it doesn't even have a game on the market.

Rich

#2 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 02 February 2016 - 08:23 PM

And if the need to have unity exists, what does Course Forge actually provide? Could one, in theory, make a course without Course Forge?

Course Forge is an Asset Package. It contains everything required to layout your holes and apply the meshes, textures, hazard areas, out of bounds, bunkers, tees, greens, fairways, rough, tee markers and pins. Also the ability to turn the course in to a playable file within Perfect Golf.

Without Course Forge, you could paint out and elevate 18 holes in Unity alone but it would never be playable in PG.

Since one can't play a Course Forge course without Perfect Golf I don't see how or why PP can justify forcing users to pay for user created content.

You obviously have been away. The idea of charging for user created content has been dropped. All user designed courses once made available by the designers will be free to download and play.

#3 rwmorey

rwmorey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 08:42 PM

Thanks for answering those two questions. As I said, I only check in periodically.

Rich

#4 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:47 PM

I don't know if Unity have discontinued ANY of their versions.  They have quite a plethora of versions to choose from, although CF uses only one at the moment.  So, you will have to download and install Unity, no way around it.  I don't know the legalities of PP hosting a version of Unity for use.

The last I heard was that CF would be released prior to the release of PG.  I heard the most recent delay was due to a re-allocation of programming time.  And that's all I know.

Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users