#1 ProFirefighter

ProFirefighter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 February 2016 - 02:39 PM

This item will hopefully not be put on the back burner.

Every golf game of worth (when fully released) had one. It is an important aspect with games of this genre, and fulfills many desires for players in that:

• there will always be groups of people who are not inclined towards getting involved with online play, which eventually makes the game boring for them
  • it completely neutralizes questions of cheating, which (contrary to some people's notions) can never, ever be eliminated

I'm aware PP stated that CM was in their sights, fine. I just want to make sure it's not at the back of the line. Anyone wanting to make a worthwhile comment on this topic, please do so. This is an important issue for many players.

As for me, I'll make use of both CM & OGT's events. Both have a justified place in this game ...

• flyer01, PinHi and tanman05851 like this

i5-4460 / 8GB DDR3 / 1 TB 7200 RPM / Windows 8.1 / Thermaltake TR2 600W / EVGA GTX 960 FTW

#2 frank70

frank70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 February 2016 - 03:06 PM

There is already a thread in the "feature requests" forum. A lot of suggestions for a career mode are in there. Probably you have read it already.

#3 ProFirefighter

ProFirefighter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 February 2016 - 04:23 PM

This isn't an incidental for "feature requests", it's a topical header as to why/how an item requires addition. Miscellaneous items it is not ...

• frank70 likes this

i5-4460 / 8GB DDR3 / 1 TB 7200 RPM / Windows 8.1 / Thermaltake TR2 600W / EVGA GTX 960 FTW

#4 footslogger

footslogger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationThailand

Posted 16 February 2016 - 06:52 AM

I couldn't agree more that a career mode is essential.  A board like this can give the misleading impression that most users of PG will be dedicated online players.  On the contrary, the great majority of users of the full release are likely to be casual offline players (if other golf games are anything to go by) and at the moment there is only single round play available with a brief stats record at the end of it, not even cumulative.  That won't appeal for long.

• frank70 and ProFirefighter like this

#5 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 07:09 AM

Confused as to why you believe it shouldn't be at the back of the line.... something has to be...

I have no doubt will arrive... I do have doubts it will suit everyone's timing schedule though. Sorry to suggest further patience will be needed, but this game isn't exactly disappointing most playing it...

#6 footslogger

footslogger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationThailand

Posted 16 February 2016 - 07:39 AM

Confused as to why you believe it shouldn't be at the back of the line.... something has to be...

For the reason I gave - offline players, who will probably form the majority of users, will not be satisfied for long with endless single round play which has no overall purpose.

• Parboy likes this

#7 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 07:51 AM

Maybe... maybe not... naturally, the CM will add to the availability of options for those buying the game. However, the immersive Tournaments could prove far more intriguing and rewarding. However, this wasn't my immediate thoughts when posting... it was more a case of balance when creating this game. I was simply curious as to whether there was some insight into the originators comments regarding game development. At present we only have limited swing types, and one Ani... so CM was supposed to be next ?

I do understand the suggestion people want it... I may disagree the majority do... but having something is always better than not having it... it was more a case of, what should be back of the line....?

#8 frank70

frank70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 February 2016 - 08:00 AM

Maybe... maybe not... naturally, the CM will add to the availability of options for those buying the game. However, the immersive Tournaments could prove far more intriguing and rewarding. However, this wasn't my immediate thoughts when posting... it was more a case of balance when creating this game. I was simply curious as to whether there was some insight into the originators comments regarding game development. At present we only have limited swing types, and one Ani... so CM was supposed to be next ?

I do understand the suggestion people want it... I may disagree the majority do... but having something is always better than not having it... it was more a case of, what should be back of the line....?

Ian, there were quite a few polls on big sports gaming websites in the past. Around 70-80 % voted that they are only playing offline. The polls weren't solely on golf games. But i would guess that a lot of younger guys took part on these polls. And even they formed a large majority as offline gamers.

I would suppose that the average PG player is older than the average Madden, NBA2K, NHL or MLB the Show gamer. It's not farfetched to think that the older generation is even less accustomed to online gaming.

No matter how the exact numbers are: A good career mode, or a mode to play virtually on the PGA against a field with real names (with very realistic scoring) would without a doubt be an asset for the game and could increase sales considerably.

• mistajam, footslogger, Vernon520 and 1 other like this

#9 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 09:14 AM

A good career mode will obviously be played and utilised. Not to say Tournaments won't either, but are they classed as offline?

I'm certainly not stating a CM isn't needed, nor would I not play it. I have several ideas too, and would want it implemented as a hardcore approach in terms of once the Golfer has aged, he cannot go backwards and eventually he will retire. However, that would be the appeal of the offline play, having a goal. Without that encouragement, I don't necessarily believe offline will be played by the majority if participation is improved in another side of the game.

However, I still don't see why it has or has not be, the last addition to the game?

#10 MimicPS

MimicPS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 09:58 AM

If development continued along the lines of being able make a play-by-play recorded player which could be loaded and played as an opponent, and we have a tournament set-up (and in fact a roster set-up) which could allow a player access to each round after completion of the previous, then there is no reason why someone couldn't present a career mode in that format - basically an online/offline career.

Further development of the computer player AI, a release of courses to at least represent if not recreate all Tour venues, customization of animations and development of the game beyond gameplay and into more things that increase the immersion are all needed to allow it to happen. One way or another, in time, a career mode will be there, and a nudge to keep it on the development list is perfectly valid, but it will most likely remain a future development until the above requirements are polished off.

• frank70 likes this

#11 sandybunker

sandybunker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 16 February 2016 - 12:27 PM

A good career mode will obviously be played and utilised. Not to say Tournaments won't either, but are they classed as offline?
I'm certainly not stating a CM isn't needed, nor would I not play it. I have several ideas too, and would want it implemented as a hardcore approach in terms of once the Golfer has aged, he cannot go backwards and eventually he will retire. However, that would be the appeal of the offline play, having a goal. Without that encouragement, I don't necessarily believe offline will be played by the majority if participation is improved in another side of the game.

However, I still don't see why it has or has not be, the last addition to the game?

Are we still not able to complete the final round of that tournament you set up Ian? The one where there was a 50% cut in the players for the final round.

I7 3770k

8GB RAM

Nvidia GTX 670

240GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD

#12 Ansley

Ansley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 02:21 PM

I've been patiently waiting for a career mode and really hope we see something this year. I've always thought a golf game could have one of the best career modes of any sports game, so here's to hoping something positive happens. 

• ProFirefighter likes this

#13 ProFirefighter

ProFirefighter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 February 2016 - 02:34 PM

Well of course "something" has to be, CM is clearly not it when talking about the history of golf games.

Ian, there were quite a few polls on big sports gaming websites in the past. Around 70-80 % voted that they are only playing offline ... It's not farfetched to think that the older generation is even less accustomed to online gaming ... No matter how the exact numbers are: A good career mode, or a mode to play virtually on the PGA against a field with real names (with very realistic scoring) would without a doubt be an asset for the game and could increase sales considerably.

Well said.

I've been patiently waiting for a career mode and really hope we see something this year. I've always thought a golf game could have one of the best career modes of any sports game, so here's to hoping something positive happens. 

Thank you for responding. I really enjoy OGT's tournaments, but I'm also eagerly awaiting a CM mode where we could use the names of PGA players, etc.

#14 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 03:24 PM

We won't have a fully fledged career mode in PG before the full release of the game. We have discussed it and what we will probably do is have a comprehensive career mode as DLC later in the year for people who love to play that mode of play. This will enable us to put all our resources into it and make it something special rather than simply a glorified season mode.

There have been lots of threads about what people would like to see in a career mode already but please keep ideas coming.

• Ansley, gravedodger, remers and 1 other like this

#15 frank70

frank70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 February 2016 - 03:55 PM

We won't have a fully fledged career mode in PG before the full release of the game. We have discussed it and what we will probably do is have a comprehensive career mode as DLC later in the year for people who love to play that mode of play. This will enable us to put all our resources into it and make it something special rather than simply a glorified season mode.

There have been lots of threads about what people would like to see in a career mode already but please keep ideas coming.

May i ask you, what kind of vision you have for the career mode? Something with player development / progression or more likely a virtual tour where we can play in against real player names?

Maybe a little poll would be helpful: Then you would know better what direction is preferred by the community. I personally would love a virtual PGA Tour. I never liked the progression system of EAs games. I mean, we have our player already in the game.

• Ansley and Ricky Proffer like this

#16 Ansley

Ansley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 05:05 PM

I agree with Frank in that I also want a virtual PGA tour with lots of the items listed in the wishlist thread. Everything could be customized and shared so that the community could setup aspects of their tour. I would also have no issue in paying for career mode DLC. 

#17 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 05:29 PM

May i ask you, what kind of vision you have for the career mode? Something with player development / progression or more likely a virtual tour where we can play in against real player names?

Maybe a little poll would be helpful: Then you would know better what direction is preferred by the community. I personally would love a virtual PGA Tour. I never liked the progression system of EAs games. I mean, we have our player already in the game.

I can tell you that it will be heavily editable so you will be able to add your own tournament names and players etc.

• Ansley, frank70, mistajam and 2 others like this

#18 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 16 February 2016 - 05:34 PM

The most important thing with a career mode and tournament play is realistic scoring. The scores should look like a real PGA tour event.

Forget about individual virtual player tweaking as far as driving, putting, short game, pressure, etc. is concerned. It will only mess up the scoring, keep it simple with just one ability value/player.

You should just have to enter the average score for the round like 72.25 and then the field should have an even spread. Links 2003 tried to be too clever and it was a huge frustration to get it right.

I still have excel career files somewhere which worked quite well, wonder what happened to the guy who helped me with it?, he was good. :)

Intel Core i5-6600 CPU 3.3 GHz       Geforce GTX 1060        16GB  RAM       Windows 10 64 bit

Hazyview  (600m above sea level)    --   Nautilus Bay  (Revamp done)  --  Cape Fear  (TGC  adaptation)  --  Aloe Ridge  --  Nahoon Reef GC  --  Chambers Bay 

Abel's Crossing  --  Solitude Links GC

#19 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 06:32 PM

I actually want to be able to set a range of scores depending on my perceived skill level.  For instance, let's say I choose to play at tour pro level and my average score is +10 per round.  Well, I want a way to adjust the scores of the field so that when I enter a tournament like that, I have a chance of making the cut.  Same with a -10 per round average score. 

If the scores are all set to actual PGA scoring, what if I'm way better or way worse than them?

• Acrilix and Greensboronclion like this
Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#20 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 16 February 2016 - 06:35 PM

So you just set the average to +10. It worked like that in the excel tournament.

Intel Core i5-6600 CPU 3.3 GHz       Geforce GTX 1060        16GB  RAM       Windows 10 64 bit

Hazyview  (600m above sea level)    --   Nautilus Bay  (Revamp done)  --  Cape Fear  (TGC  adaptation)  --  Aloe Ridge  --  Nahoon Reef GC  --  Chambers Bay 

Abel's Crossing  --  Solitude Links GC

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)