Photo

Effect of 3d objects like houses etc ...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 olazaboll

olazaboll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 08:47 PM

What will the effect be on gameperformance if you make a course surrounded with a lot of 3d objects like houses, roads , stenbridgesetc .... example like this:

https://www.assetsto...#!/content/3467

I read somewere that you should stay under 3.000.000 of "something ", otherwise you can get into to trouble if the course is not played om some kind of supermachine ...Was it 3ds ????

#2 Quigs

Quigs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 09:17 PM

Its 3 Million Tris that is the target. You could do something like that, but its give and take. If you have a heavily wooded course, you will eat up budget with trees. In the end its up to the designer to choose how much they want to use. You can go over 3 - you just risk performance issues on lower end systems. There is also Level Of Detail - LOD as described in that unity sale. Based on distance from an object it scales the quality down. You see this with trees as they get sharper as you get closer.

From a design standpoint, the outlying areas are not always in play and your eyes don't always focus on them, so you have to decide if its worth it. Also, you can make realistic 3D houses or buildings with an image texture over the front for very low tri's. Tons of options.

#3 TimBoch

TimBoch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationFarmington, MN

Posted 21 February 2016 - 04:23 AM

Where can we find out how many tris are in any particular view. I have been holding off planting the houses and some minor planting around them as it wasn't working well the first time I tried to add the houses. I have been swapping out some Hero and Desktop trees with Mobile version hoping this helps the count. But would like to know more about how to find out what PG is actually computing. In a far corner of my course I now usually get a crash to desktop as my FPS drops to 10 or less.

Thanks for the help.

Course Forge Courses in various stages of design: Dwan Golf Club, Hyland Greens, Faribault CC, Desert Valley CC/ Woodland Trail(fictional), Infamous Golf Course (fantasy)
Links 2003 Designs: Dwan Golf Club, Infamous Golf Course, Hazeltine National Golf Club (assistant designer), Woodland Trail/Desert Valley CC , Faribault CC (beta), Hyland Greens (beta), Double Eagle (beta), King's Walk (beta), Interlachen CC (still in planning)
Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.5GHz
  • Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit
  • 16GB DDR3L RAM
  • 750GB 7,200RPM Hard Drive
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M

#4 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 10:14 AM

From TimBoch: "Where can we find out how many tris are in any particular view. I have been holding off planting the houses and some minor planting around them as it wasn't working well the first time I tried to add the houses. I have been swapping out some Hero and Desktop trees with Mobile version hoping this helps the count. But would like to know more about how to find out what PG is actually computing. In a far corner of my course I now usually get a crash to desktop as my FPS drops to 10 or less.Thanks for the help.

1. Go the the view you want find out the tri count of
  2. In your Hierarchy, highlight the game object "Game Camera"
  3. In the top menu, go to Game Object and select "Align Object to View" - this will make your game camera see what you are seeing in the scene.
  4. Now switch your sccene view to "Game View" in the top taps.
  5. In the top right corner, click on the "Stats" button. Some text appears and in it is the tri count.

3D objects can have loads of polygons - or not. Depends how they are made. A primitive house shape only needs 14 tris and some clever textures. Same as with trees, everything that is a bit away from the golf course should not be lavishly formed, but dumbed down into low-res. Unlike trees, where Unity does that automatically, with 3D objects you have to take care of that yourself.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#5 RobC

RobC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  • LocationSouthampton England

Posted 21 February 2016 - 10:15 AM

Hehe beat me to it

In Unity when you play the scene there is a tab in the top right corner of the window that says 'stats' click it and it will bring up a box as below

GplhhBA.jpg?1

#6 TimBoch

TimBoch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationFarmington, MN

Posted 21 February 2016 - 03:28 PM

Here are the stats from the "crash" corner.

EvsfING.jpg

Basically from this location, you are looking the greatest distance across the course. I used the course overhead to plant the trees in their actual locations. Compared to other courses, with much longer holes and at least as densely planted trees, I am surprised that this course with fairly short holes and average planting would be a resource hog.

Thanks for all the help.

Course Forge Courses in various stages of design: Dwan Golf Club, Hyland Greens, Faribault CC, Desert Valley CC/ Woodland Trail(fictional), Infamous Golf Course (fantasy)
Links 2003 Designs: Dwan Golf Club, Infamous Golf Course, Hazeltine National Golf Club (assistant designer), Woodland Trail/Desert Valley CC , Faribault CC (beta), Hyland Greens (beta), Double Eagle (beta), King's Walk (beta), Interlachen CC (still in planning)
Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.5GHz
  • Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit
  • 16GB DDR3L RAM
  • 750GB 7,200RPM Hard Drive
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users