#1 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 07 March 2016 - 06:02 PM

If a range was created with say 5 holes all at 1000ft intervals, would the ball flight be affected the higher you went or would all 5 holes play the same?

Just thinking aloud about the mention of a practice range in the public forum for testing effects at different altitudes.
  • tlvx likes this

#2 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 07 March 2016 - 08:51 PM

If a range was created with say 5 holes all at 1000ft intervals, would the ball flight be affected the higher you went or would all 5 holes play the same?

Just thinking aloud about the mention of a practice range in the public forum for testing effects at different altitudes.

That's a pretty good question, wouldn't know but will be impressed if it should work like that. :)

Intel Core i5-6600 CPU 3.3 GHz       Geforce GTX 1060        16GB  RAM       Windows 10 64 bit

Hazyview  (600m above sea level)    --   Nautilus Bay  (Revamp done)  --  Cape Fear  (TGC  adaptation)  --  Aloe Ridge  --  Nahoon Reef GC  --  Chambers Bay 

Abel's Crossing  --  Solitude Links GC

#3 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 07 March 2016 - 08:54 PM

I am not certain, but I believe they would 

all play to the maximum height of the course.

Hope I'm wrong as it's a cool idea.

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#4 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 08 March 2016 - 01:40 AM

I'd suggest maybe reducing the altitude effect by about 25-30 percent, perhaps more. To me it feels like it might be a little bit exaggerated.

Since I moved to Colorado I've become probably one club longer overall. The one time that I really noticed a significant change in distance was when I went up to Breckenridge to play the Nicklaus course, which is over 9,000 feet.

I feel like I only need to play at about 2500 feet in Perfect Golf to get a one club reduction. At one point I had tried playing Sapphire Lake set at one mile high (i.e. Denver) and I felt it was so pronounced that the game was almost impossible to play.

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#5 tlvx

tlvx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 07:29 AM

I'd suggest maybe reducing the altitude effect by about 25-30 percent, perhaps more. To me it feels like it might be a little bit exaggerated.

Since I moved to Colorado I've become probably one club longer overall. The one time that I really noticed a significant change in distance was when I went up to Breckenridge to play the Nicklaus course, which is over 9,000 feet.

I feel like I only need to play at about 2500 feet in Perfect Golf to get a one club reduction. At one point I had tried playing Sapphire Lake set at one mile high (i.e. Denver) and I felt it was so pronounced that the game was almost impossible to play.

This is why we need to be able to test the elevation effect on a driving range that is set up in the mountains... to ensure that A: we know what the heck to expect at varied elevation changes; and B: whether or not these changes are even being applied realistically.

#6 Crusher

Crusher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 05:23 PM

Way overboard IMO.  Even the best of us are not gonig to need atmospheric pressure variables to make the game more difficult or more realistic in Pro and Tour Pro levels. ;)

⛳                          🏌️‍♂️                             🏌️‍♀️                              ⛳

xqc8g0-2.png

🏌️‍♂️                                                       🏌️‍♀️
Userbenchmarks:
Custom Build 2019

⛳                          🏌️‍♂️                             🏌️‍♀️                              ⛳

51049423131_98884de356_w.jpg

#7 tlvx

tlvx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 05:26 PM

Way overboard IMO.  Even the best of us are not gonig to need atmospheric pressure variables to make the game more difficult or more realistic in Pro and Tour Pro levels. ;)

The developers have decided to instate elevation variables. So, it only makes sense that temperature and pressure would have an impact as well, since their impact alone can negate elevation effects, or amplify them.

Either way, we need to be able to test the game-play altitude adjustments... because, it's unrealistic to assume that every possible environmental factor will be included in the "feel" of these shots.

#8 Crusher

Crusher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 05:56 PM

...it's unrealistic to assume that every possible environmental factor will be included in the "feel" of these shots.

Many other things to focus on in this game's development other than atmospheric variables.  I think that's enough discussion on this topic, at least it is for me.

xqc8g0-2.png

🏌️‍♂️                                                       🏌️‍♀️
Userbenchmarks:
Custom Build 2019

51049423131_98884de356_w.jpg

#9 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 08 March 2016 - 06:18 PM

Sorry, must have missed the bit where TVLX said this must be priority and everything else must be put on hold until this is sorted.

It is just something else to be considered as PG strives to be the best golf game out there, something which IMO they are already well on the way to doing.

Just put that last paragraph in for Tigers Agent so he can cut and paste it and show it off on his inane PG Facebook attack page.
  • J.H.Buchanan likes this

#10 J.H.Buchanan

J.H.Buchanan

PG Ameteur Titleist Golf Balls

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach, Florida

Posted 10 March 2016 - 03:45 AM

As the earth rotates on it's axis the speed changes in the afternoon and speeds back up at evening time so I hit my ball accordingly - all you noobs out there should do the same ....

Little known fact when King Arthur was trying to make a golf course and he ran into some conflict. King Arthur: There's a peace only to be found on the other side of war. If that war should come I will fight it!    Other important fact. Read the Book of John in the Holy Bible. 

#11 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 10 March 2016 - 07:59 AM

I don't remember which one it was, but when one of Pete Dye's courses opened, they said it was so long "you needed to figure in the curvature of the Earth" to play it..... might have been Kiawah.

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users