#1 samterrence

samterrence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationWest Yorkshire

Posted 17 April 2016 - 03:47 PM

Would it be a good thing if Microsoft came on-board with Perfect Parallel, pumped in loads of money and released the game as PG Links 2016, could take on EA Sports at there own game LOL ? 

#2 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 03:51 PM

Would it be a good thing if Microsoft came on-board with Perfect Parallel, pumped in loads of money and released the game as PG Links 2016, could take on EA Sports at there own game LOL ? 

IMO, the very first thing that would happen is we would lose direct access to the developers.

Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#3 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 04:01 PM

No offense, but no thank you

#4 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 17 April 2016 - 04:18 PM

Yea, no thanks. This isn't Links and I don't want it to be.

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#5 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 17 April 2016 - 05:03 PM

Yea, no thanks. This isn't Links and I don't want it to be.

I bet ADX321 would disagree with you on that point  ;)   I never agreed with him on that, but he was steadfast in saying that PG is Links 2016.

As for Microsoft stepping in and infusing some capital to help with marketing and expanding the product line to the consoles it will ultimately need to keep it viable, I would have a problem with that... *IF* (and this is a big if) Perfect Parallel was able to be fully in charge of all the design and coding.  Look at how well Microsoft Studios "partnership" with Turn 10 certainly hasn't hurt the quality of Forza Motorsports, and when I look at it as a model, I'd love to see something like that happen with Perfect Parallel.  I'm sure there are a lot of considerations that escape me that wouldn't make something like that practical, but if it could, I'd love to see Perfect Golf become the Forza Motorsports of golf gaming... on ALL platforms.  However, if Microsoft Studios was involved, I doubt we'd see a Sony Playstation 4 version of Perfect Golf.

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz 
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#6 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 05:05 PM

I honestly think the discussion is moot.

The golf gaming market is a super tiny niche that MS doesn't care to deal with.

The flight sim market is bigger and more robust and they bailed on that too.
  • MERACE and Mulligan like this

#7 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 17 April 2016 - 05:15 PM

I thought Microsoft offloaded the game code anyway. I believe it was Take2 that had the data, but it curiously went missing after Links 2003 had been out for a few years, so any chance of any continuation of the series ended.

Microsfot made a half hearted stab with Links 2004 on the XBOX, but as far as PC golf was concerned, they more or less did an EA and gave up on the PC.

• Greensboronclion and Charles like this

#8 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSurfside Beach SC

Posted 17 April 2016 - 05:53 PM

I thought Microsoft offloaded the game code anyway. I believe it was Take2 that had the data, but it curiously went missing after Links 2003 had been out for a few years, so any chance of any continuation of the series ended.

Microsfot made a half hearted stab with Links 2004 on the XBOX, but as far as PC golf was concerned, they more or less did an EA and gave up on the PC.

Pretty much spot on Daz.

#9 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 05:55 PM

What's really funny about all this divergence of the PC and consoles is now to see Microsoft pushing to unify the Xbox and windows 10 platforms.

It's all one big circle it would seem. It does feel like a fine line to not torpedo console sales.

There's really no reason that the entire Xbox platform couldn't simply be a Windows app with highly restrictive hardware requirements to get the one benefit the consoles have (Everything just works)

The only reason I even have a console (see: locked down PC) is for the NHL series of games

#10 DivotMaker

DivotMaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 06:02 PM

I bet ADX321 would disagree with you on that point  ;)   I never agreed with him on that, but he was steadfast in saying that PG is Links 2016.

Not sure anyone here in these forums gives a rats rear what he thinks....I know I damn sure don't. He has been SO wrong about so many things about this game that I think he simply has it in for the game and Mike Jones.

PC

Xbox One X

Steam ID: DivotMaker

#11 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 06:13 PM

I don't know if I would want MS to step in and get their hands on PG, however, if the Links series of golf games would continue to be developed, I most certainly would be buying it.  

#12 samterrence

samterrence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationWest Yorkshire

Posted 17 April 2016 - 06:15 PM

Mmmmm, that's a thought JT you could steal a car, rob a bank, drive to the golf course breaking all the speed limits, have a round of golf and call it GTA PG Links 2016. LOL

#13 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 06:17 PM

Mmmmm, that's a thought JT you could steal a car, rob a bank, drive to the golf course breaking all the speed limits, have a round of golf and call it GTA PG Links 2016. LOL

You could already do that if you found a copy of Links Xtreme! 

#14 samterrence

samterrence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationWest Yorkshire

Posted 17 April 2016 - 06:19 PM

never heard of that one Rob, sounds good fun though

#15 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 17 April 2016 - 06:32 PM

Take-Two Interactive did acquire the rights to Links.  They were in the process of creating what would have been called "Links 2007" for the XBox 360, when the project was canceled.  I was in an e-mail exchange with Daryl Welsh, who was the producer of Links 2004, in 2006.  He was working for Microsoft Corporate at that time, but was still staying in contact with the 2K Sport team that was developing the game.

2K Sports was only a couple of months away from publishing Links 2007 for the 360, when Take-Two Interactive (2K Sports parent company) decided to close up shop with Indie Games (Links 2004 and 2007 developers). From what I understand, Links 2007 was said to be a landmark golf game, which would have been to the 360 what Links 2004 was to the XBox.  It pains me to know that an 80% complete version of Links 2007 is languishing on somebody's hard drive right now, but it wouldn't more than a museum piece today in comparison to Perfect Golf.

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz 
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#16 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 17 April 2016 - 07:16 PM

Not sure anyone here in these forums gives a rats rear what he thinks....I know I damn sure don't. He has been SO wrong about so many things about this game that I think he simply has it in for the game and Mike Jones.

I find it odd that he's been completely inactive from the TGC forum for so long.  Kinda makes me wonder which other account on TGC is him?

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#17 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 07:18 PM

I find it odd that he's been completely inactive from the TGC forum for so long.  Kinda makes me wonder which other account on TGC is him?

He (somebody...) has actually logged in again just recently, but no actual commentary in nearly a month.

It really does feel like a ghost account for somebody to log in and vent in a way that would otherwise be inappropriate.
Perhaps a developer or staff member of some kind?
  • mebby likes this

#18 Charles

Charles

RTSM forever!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • LocationHolland, Europe.

Posted 18 April 2016 - 09:06 AM

I'm a BIG Links 03 aficionado, but PG is not Links. I love Links as one of the very best -if not the best- golf sim out there, but time has caught up with the old lady at last. She has been left to dry/die by it's maker and that's sad. She had a great run though, and managed all by her lonesome (and with a little help from her friends) to keep on going, all the time having a faithful following behind her. It's just a question of time when the curtain will fall on her. And that has everything to do with the hardware possibilities. As soon as people buy new hardware the world of PG opens up to them and all those still playing Links with older machines will ultimately make the big switch. That's the way it goes. I see lot's of former Linksters on this forum, and PG is also making inlands into the 'other ones' I gather, so when I look back when I got on board, somewhere at the end of 2013, my prediction that PG was going to be the new benchmark in this, seems right on the money. :) And the great thing is -as an 'ol Linkster- that there is some Links blood still pumping through the PG dev's! Thats a good feeling. But PG is not Links. It's PG. And rightfully so. This game is the future for sim golf. I love it.

• DivotMaker and BLINDT like this

RTSM / Pro / In the bag: D,3/7W,1H,5i-60W,P.

* Favorite Designers: Skunky - DoGgs - RobC - IanK - PGA Pro - Gary Norman - DrTwist - Bortimus -

DPRoberts - High Fade - Classic Renditions - Matt Rose - Mikahenrik and ... Mike Jones! *

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect.

It is at the same time rewarding and maddening - and without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented".

= Arnold Palmer =

#19 Stephen Sullivan

Stephen Sullivan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationWorksop, Nottinghamshire

Posted 18 April 2016 - 02:00 PM

I will continue to play my powerstroke in Links as there is no equivalent in PG.

Haven't go the time or inclination to learn another swing method and my requests for a horizontal swing gauge have been met with silence ( This ignorance upsets but doesn't surprise me :(  ) 

However, there are plenty of you testing it so the loss of little old me and my opinions won't make a rats a** of difference  :P

Posted Image

#20 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 02:16 PM

I will continue to play my powerstroke in Links as there is no equivalent in PG.

Haven't go the time or inclination to learn another swing method and my requests for a horizontal swing gauge have been met with silence ( This ignorance upsets but doesn't surprise me :(  ) 

However, there are plenty of you testing it so the loss of little old me and my opinions won't make a rats a** of difference  :P

Well, you're not gonna get Links Powerstroke in PG.  There are horizontal swing methods in PG, but it's not Links.  Having an attitude won't help your cause either I'd say, but I'm not one of the devs.

• LeazesNDR, DivotMaker and Perculator like this
Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users