#1 slouis

slouis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 25 April 2016 - 05:35 PM

I was reading in the Augusta National thread that turning off the sky scattering option improved FPS so I tried it and it does seem to improve the FPS.  I think though that with this option off, everything looks more faded as I prefer the richer colours that having the option on produces.

That said I was wondering if it would improve the FPS of courses like Club Schwarzwald and Downland where I find the FPS is less than other courses so I tried it and it seemed to help.

• StoneComet likes this

RTSM - Pro

#2 StoneComet

StoneComet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 25 April 2016 - 06:29 PM

What I would like to know is if there is still room for optimization of the current code and engine from PP's side. I get that Unity can improve and be optimized but what I wonder is if PP can incorporate optimizations within the current code? My feeling is that there is still some room there and that some of these courses that are trying on frame rates might improve without the designers making any changes or without having to really lower graphics settings for those with mid to higher end machines.   

- We would be wise to remember that extremism is the real enemy and to keep ourselves aware so as not to become extreme ourselves; otherwise the enemy wins. -

#3 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 06:34 PM

Scattering has no impact on FPS. What was mentioned is that turning dynamic sky 'off' in the weather options can have a big impact on FPS on some systems.

• StoneComet likes this

#4 johnmeyer

johnmeyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 07:10 PM

I think most of the FPS issues I have are due to hige CPU load (>70%), but low GPU load (<40%), ie a CPU bottleneck. This game is quite CPU intensive I guess, so whilst my 970 is more than adequate my older i5 2500 perhaps just isnt up to the task. 

Is this is what is meant by optimisation, trying to bring that CPU load down and put more work onto the GPU?

OGT Simulator Tour Admin

#5 klapauzius

klapauzius

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 07:47 PM

I think most of the FPS issues I have are due to hige CPU load (>70%), but low GPU load (<40%), ie a CPU bottleneck. This game is quite CPU intensive I guess, so whilst my 970 is more than adequate my older i5 2500 perhaps just isnt up to the task. 

Is this is what is meant by optimisation, trying to bring that CPU load down and put more work onto the GPU?

FWIW, my system has 30% GPU load and 17% CPU load, while frame rates sometimes go down to 28 fps or slightly less. So I don't think it's a too CPU intensive game. From my amateurish perspective it looks like framerates could be boosted considerably if the hardware would be used at full capacity.

That's not to say that the game plays bad on my rig. Most of the time I get to play with 60fps or more, so no real complaints from my side. :)

#6 johnmeyer

johnmeyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 09:19 PM

So even with everything maxed out you only get those loadings? and yet FPS drops from 60+ to 28. I think this is what I just cant get my head around.

OGT Simulator Tour Admin

#7 klapauzius

klapauzius

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 09:41 PM

So even with everything maxed out you only get those loadings? and yet FPS drops from 60+ to 28. I think this is what I just cant get my head around.

28fps is an extreme case, just seen at some spots in Augusta and in Club Schwarzwald. But yes, while the fps are low the system is still in 'semi-hibernation' mode. No energy saving options are enabled, neither system wide nor in the Nvidia driver. VSync is off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users