Posted 15 May 2016 - 08:43 PM

#2 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 09:07 PM

My main takeaway from the video is just the fact that CF allows much more flexibility and the Sawgrass version in PG actually looks much more correct, especially with regard to the surrounding terrain.

Oh… And I really can't stand the hunchback avatar and awful bunkers in TGC

(This thread should likely go to Off Topic)

#3 BaggerVance

BaggerVance

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 09:16 PM

I appreciate the comparison between the two, good to do on the same course.
I use both in a simulator so graphics are secondary compared to looking at realistic ball flight and ease of use for sim play. I do find PG to be much more straightforward for sim use I'm running an i7 with a gtx980ti, that's about the only way to get 60fps with TGC, no problems at all with PG.

My kids and I actually play Rory Mcilroy PGA tour the most though on PS4. The graphics are good, and they like the crowds and commentary that goes along with a couple fantasy courses.

#4 nightowl

nightowl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 09:54 PM

Pretty cool, Denny.  Thanks for posting it.  TGC has its strengths.  The lighting is good, and the 3D grass.  But overall (and I don't consider myself a PG fanboy), I think PG looks better.  For one thing, it creates a better sense of depth in the distance.  Textures look great.  Bunkers in PG over TGC by a mile, IMO.  Not thrilled with the water reflections in PG (as everyone knows by now ;) ).  I'm willing to live with them since I have no choice (and I don't think anything will change before 2018 or so).  To be frank, I expected TGC and PG to compare rather evenly.  So, I was surprised when I watched the video.

#5 MERACE

MERACE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 10:17 PM

Both games graphics rendering of golf courses have their pluses and minuses.  I like each for what they currently have to offer.  :)

I think a better comparison would be to use each game's best rendition of AN.   ;)

The reason there was no tree branch/leaf movement in TGC compared to PG, is due to the 4 mph wind speed of the former vs. the 12 mph wind speed of the latter.  There is definitely tree branch/leaf movement in higher winds in TGC.  :)

-MERACE

#6 dlocke1962

dlocke1962

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 10:46 PM

Both games graphics rendering of golf courses have their pluses and minuses.  I like each for what they currently have to offer.  :)

I think a better comparison would be to use each game's best rendition of AN.   ;)

The reason there was no tree branch/leaf movement in TGC compared to PG, is due to the 4 mph wind speed of the former vs. the 12 mph wind speed of the latter.  There is definitely tree branch/leaf movement in higher winds in TGC.  :)

-MERACE

Didn't think of that

#7 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 15 May 2016 - 10:59 PM

A few things stuck out to me in that video.  

1 - The background in TGC wasn't even close.  Hills?  LOL.  I understand why it's there but just a major thing that stands out to me.]

2 - The bunker lips in TGC look horrific.  Like they are hovering or some weird hologram.  

3 - The TOO perfect texture transitions in TGC

4 - I think the trees look better in TGC

5 - The water and the reflections on the water are great in TGC

But overall, they are just two different games.  I'm generally fine with how TGC looks.  It's the gameplay that is a no-go for me.

• Fairwayman likes this

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#8 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 11:30 PM

Did he picked the best Sawgrass available for TGC?   Because that looked like crap even with detail at 5?  The different sections of fringe and rough around the first green looked like it was drawn out by an amateur.

#9 Crusher

Crusher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 01:54 AM

It really is a subjective experience.  I will never have a subjective experience with TGC because I am a 3clicker.  Looking at the graphics in this and other videos they appear to me to be not much better than the 2D (static graphics) in modern HD Links 2003 courses. For example:

⛳                          🏌️‍♂️                             🏌️‍♀️                              ⛳

xqc8g0-2.png

🏌️‍♂️                                                       🏌️‍♀️
Userbenchmarks:
Custom Build 2019

⛳                          🏌️‍♂️                             🏌️‍♀️                              ⛳

51049423131_98884de356_w.jpg

#10 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 16 May 2016 - 06:59 AM

Lol in TGC look for TPC Boston (new textures) and compare it to massachucetts...I don't mind being embarrassed lol

BTW you picked the crap version, this is the best version 

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#11 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 16 May 2016 - 12:23 PM

Lol in TGC look for TPC Boston (new textures) and compare it to massachucetts...I don't mind being embarrassed lol
BTW you picked the crap version, this is the best version

That one looks much better!

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#12 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 16 May 2016 - 01:46 PM

I hear on the Marvin Gate there is something coming to TGC in mid June.

Not sure if big updates or a move to TGC2. Anyone with ears to the ground have any titbits?

Would have to be something major for me to consider reinstalling, but was just curious.

#13 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 16 May 2016 - 02:17 PM

I hear on the Marvin Gate there is something coming to TGC in mid June.

Not sure if big updates or a move to TGC2. Anyone with ears to the ground have any titbits?

Would have to be something major for me to consider reinstalling, but was just curious.

Think!  the new caliber ball only  instead of ithe properties being applied to the ball it's applied to the swing..or something along those lines. Its not really the changes i wanted to see, the pitch shot up to 75 yds in TGC kills it for me...way too easy, and the flop is a close second.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#14 olazaboll

olazaboll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 03:26 PM

Oh… And I really can't stand the hunchback avatar and awful bunkers in TGC

Thats why my Son says to me:  "Daddy ... You are a Girl" ...when I play TGC :)

#15 nightowl

nightowl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 03:43 PM

That one looks much better!

Yes, it does!

#16 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 04:32 PM

The ball flight just "feels" like its tethered to something to me.

Instantly turned off just seeing a quick video again.

Was a good game for its time and place (2014, with no other modern games) but it needs a complete gameplay overhaul and more distinct looks to different environments to even remotely interest me anymore.

They need to do a TGC 2 not a minor update.
Anthony is in a tough spot as they have always catered more to people that love their slightly arcade-ish gameplay, physics and swing mechanics.

#17 nightowl

nightowl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 05:12 PM

TGC was designed for wide appeal, so it's dumbed down to a certain degree.  It does, gameplay-wise, get stale and boring after a while.

#18 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 05:33 PM

TGC was designed for wide appeal, so it's dumbed down to a certain degree.  It does, gameplay-wise, get stale and boring after a while.

Yep - It is the classic "try to appeal to everyone" and you specifically please almost no one.

Luckily PG is here for those of us who desire a more rigorous, detailed and feature complete golf simulation effort.

#19 nightowl

nightowl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 06:36 PM

IMO, HB Studios made a big mistake in severely limiting options.  PG is the opposite in that regard.  Is there any question which game will retain its longevity?

#20 nightowl

nightowl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 06:40 PM

I do applaud HB Studios for being in regular communication with its user base.  Having a community liaison is a smart idea.  Not to mention all the live broadcasts featuring members of the HB Studios team.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users