Photo

Question For Any Dev Regarding Driving Range...

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 spy88

spy88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 27 May 2016 - 08:25 PM

Hoping one of the devs will give me a answer to just two questions...

1)  How far apart are the yardage signs from inner post of one to the other side's inner post.

2)  How wide is each yardage sign from post to post.

If you're wondering why I ask, it's so I can figure out (better than a guess) how much the shot shaper affects left-to-right/right-to-left distances depending on how far left or right you move it.  I consider this to be in the same vein as mapping out the distance(s) for each club at different power(s).  There really isn't any other way to figure it without these dimensions unless another player reading this has a way to do so myself.

Definitely appreciate any answers you can provide...or if not, why?  Can't just be laid out without these distances in the coding, can it?  (I truly don't know myself).  

#2 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 08:48 PM

Not a developer here, but my best estimation for the distance between the inside posts of the signs is about 37-38 yards (edit)

Each mowing stripe is roughly 3.1 yards wide if you want to measure ball curves using the stripes.

#3 tlvx

tlvx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 01:30 AM

Yet another good reason to be able to move around in the practice range.

#4 spy88

spy88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 28 May 2016 - 12:55 PM

bortimus, how did you determine the 3+ yds for the mowing stripes?

tlvx, I agree 100% and the ability to choose any weather, firmness, skill level and swing type on the fly.  Same for Woody's.

#5 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 01:21 PM

If you look down on the range from above using the free cam, there are 8 mowing stripes/squares between the signs (which are set at 25 yard intervals)

25/8= 3.125 yards each

My best guess

#6 briarfox

briarfox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 10:25 PM

would also like the ability to putt on range or somewhere with post shot data appearing

#7 TheOtherRick

TheOtherRick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • LocationHeart of Dixie

Posted 29 May 2016 - 03:40 PM

If you look down on the range from above using the free cam, there are 8 mowing stripes/squares between the signs (which are set at 25 yard intervals)

25/8= 3.125 yards each

My best guess

Appears to be some sound math there 

Ye Olde Computing Machine
CPU - Intel i5-8600K Six Core @ 3.60 GHz
MB - ASRock Z370 Pro 4

RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GB DDR4 2666 MHz
OS - Windows 10 Home  (64-bit)
GPU - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

#8 Crusher

Crusher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 03:57 PM

So much for the accumulative results of experience i.e.  intuition and rote memory.   :lol:

⛳                          🏌️‍♂️                             🏌️‍♀️                              ⛳

xqc8g0-2.png

🏌️‍♂️                                                       🏌️‍♀️
Userbenchmarks:
Custom Build 2019

⛳                          🏌️‍♂️                             🏌️‍♀️                              ⛳

51049423131_98884de356_w.jpg

#9 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 06:40 PM

So much for the accumulative results of experience i.e. intuition and rote memory. :lol:

To each their own. I was just answering the question :lol:

#10 spy88

spy88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 30 May 2016 - 01:16 AM

Thank you very much bortimus.  You've found a accurate enough way for us to figure the shot shape results.

(I'd have thought of that eventually...but I got stuck in the "box" instead of outside of it).  

(And "thank you" to the dev(s) for their assistance).

#11 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 02:21 AM

spy88,

It started a few weeks ago (probably after too much coffee) when I started testing ways to accurately and objectively measure the "mishits" for RTS-M and 3 click at Tour Pro and Pro 

Basically I tried to calculate how far the ball moves (RTS-M):

Each .01 of tempo

Each degree of path deviation 

Distance lost to offset

3 Click:

Every 1% of snap deviation (and corresponding distance loss)

I was trying to compare Tour Pro to Pro moreso than compare the swing methods (because the mishits are calculated very differently because of the inputs)

I tested each swing a bunch of times with a driver, 6 iron, and a 52 wedge and recorded all kinds of different tempo/path/offset and snap mishits.

I also was curious about:

Is the driver more accurate with more or less loft? 

Is accuracy the same if you mishit early or late or is there no difference? 

The effect of mishits on spin for iron shots

What happens on extreme mishits?  Does the rate of deviation stay the same or increase/decrease?  

A few things surprised me about the difference in the levels, and yes there are clear ballflight differences between the two swing methods.

The test isn't about which is "easier"      They are both very difficult.

I didn't finish testing the benefits/drawbacks of the new ball.  I may dig up my notes and try to complete it sometime in the future.  

• Greensboronclion likes this

#12 frank70

frank70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 May 2016 - 06:24 AM

spy88,

It started a few weeks ago (probably after too much coffee) when I started testing ways to accurately and objectively measure the "mishits" for RTS-M and 3 click at Tour Pro and Pro 

Basically I tried to calculate how far the ball moves (RTS-M):

Each .01 of tempo

Each degree of path deviation 

Distance lost to offset

3 Click:

Every 1% of snap deviation (and corresponding distance loss)

I was trying to compare Tour Pro to Pro moreso than compare the swing methods (because the mishits are calculated very differently because of the inputs)

I tested each swing a bunch of times with a driver, 6 iron, and a 52 wedge and recorded all kinds of different tempo/path/offset and snap mishits.

I also was curious about:

Is the driver more accurate with more or less loft? 

Is accuracy the same if you mishit early or late or is there no difference? 

The effect of mishits on spin for iron shots

What happens on extreme mishits?  Does the rate of deviation stay the same or increase/decrease?  

A few things surprised me about the difference in the levels, and yes there are clear ballflight differences between the two swing methods.

The test isn't about which is "easier"      They are both very difficult.

I didn't finish testing the benefits/drawbacks of the new ball.  I may dig up my notes and try to complete it sometime in the future.  

Maybe laying out your results considering the ballflight differences (penalty) would be a good measure point leveling out the swing mechanics.

#13 spy88

spy88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 31 May 2016 - 04:15 PM

bortimus, a very long time ago, having a neurological problem, I thought I'd never be able to manage playing PG simply because I had such a difficult time coordinating the reflexes between what my eyes saw, then told my brain, then what my brain told my finger.  I'd hit a ton of balls at the range and simply considered myself a "lost cause".  BUT...with the urging of many individuals on the forums, I persevered and managed a higher % of hitting the snap (or close enough) vs missing it...but this was at beginner and hacker.  Everyone probably went through this also.  MS and/or HMS, at one point, seemed manageable but the fewer muscles I had to move, the better off I was so have stuck w/3C.  

Since then, I've gotten to pro level.  And now I'm into the shot shaper.  This single option PG gave was the deciding factor for me to leave WGT (not to mention the cost involved there).  But it was always a guesstimation and, of course, it required hitting a decent snap to see the desired results.  I wanted better then that guesstimation which is why I requested the distances.  And with your info, I have managed to find what I was looking for, but it cost me hours on the range.  Why?  Because as we all know, a shot is all for not regardless of how straightforward and simple if one can't hit the snap (regardless of swing method).  So over and over and over did I hit balls until I got the snap to less than .5 and record the results.  A .09 or better was far and few between.   

I'll never manage a swing method other than 3C and am amazed at the time, effort and perseverance people must go thru to attain proficiency at MS, let alone RTS.  Your concerted efforts (to the extent you've gone w/RTS-M) is so far above my level, it's like comparing a bumblebee to a eagle!  And I did at least try it.  Not my cup of tea...

Long story for a short and simple thank you.  

#14 Crusher

Crusher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 04:25 PM

I'll never manage a swing method other than 3C and am amazed at the time, effort and perseverance people must go thru to attain proficiency at MS, let alone RTS.  Your concerted efforts (to the extent you've gone w/RTS-M) is so far above my level, it's like comparing a bumblebee to a eagle!  And I did at least try it.  Not my cup of tea...

Long story for a short and simple thank you.  

Managing 3C is as difficult for any other player who began moving the mouse way back when that type of swing method was introduced. In fact, Links did not have a demo that included the 3C, it was only RTS.  Many players never had the chance to practice 3C until they purchased the full version of Links.

Having said this, the swing type involving moving the mouse is much easier for early-on RTS to adapt to the new Motion Swing.

Take those of us who started with 3C because we purchased the game way back when 3C was the only swing method, we have become very adept with 3C.

Be proud of your abilities with 3C, it's far more difficult to hit distance with 3C in Pro and Tour Pro than it is MS. However, we have the ability to mis-snap deliberately to putt, draw and fade.  Both swing types involving a mouse have their pros and cons.

As for controllers, I will not know about those, maybe forever.  I am a plunk down in my executive chair, diehard PC Station, keyboard and mouse user. ;)

xqc8g0-2.png

🏌️‍♂️                                                       🏌️‍♀️
Userbenchmarks:
Custom Build 2019

51049423131_98884de356_w.jpg

#15 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 04:51 PM

spy,

Glad to hear you are enjoying the game more and more.

The developers commitment to various types of players and their preferences continues to impress.

Hit 'em well!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users