28 replies to this topic

#1 clubcaptain

clubcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 08:44 PM

A few pics of my first project. What would the leap from this to CF be ? Big or small. All my own textures BTW.

first-attempt_zpshsta1abe.jpg

first-attempt2_zpsuq9w91z2.jpg

first-attempt4_zpsmkmwcvim.jpg

first-attempt3_zps5m6jmoj7.jpg

• MSNYCsoarrom likes this

PC specs...

Intel core I7 9700k 3.6 GHZ-Turbo 4.9 GHZ
64 GB Corsair vengeance  LPX DDR4 2400 MHZ
Asus PRIME Z390-P 
Nvidea GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
X box 360 wired controller
Windows 10 PRO NA 64 bit

#2 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 03 June 2016 - 09:26 PM

Your transition to CF should be smooth one. Looking good Cap'n.

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#3 clubcaptain

clubcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 12:11 AM

Thanks. Hope they hurry up with it.

PC specs...

Asus PRIME Z390-P 
Windows 10 PRO NA 64 bit

#4 StoneComet

StoneComet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 04 June 2016 - 04:40 AM

Looks great. Curious. How long did it take you (days/hours) to get to that pint with Unity? I'm thinking about taking the plunge soon.

• Perculator likes this

- We would be wise to remember that extremism is the real enemy and to keep ourselves aware so as not to become extreme ourselves; otherwise the enemy wins. -

#5 clubcaptain

clubcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 11:54 AM

3 sessions about about 2 hours each. Scrapped the first two pretty quick. What takes up the time is locating and viewing youtube vids that are clear and simple. I had youtube on one screen and unity on the other and made edits along with the videos.

I'm now on the 4th version of my project and things are looking better again.

• StoneComet likes this

PC specs...

Asus PRIME Z390-P 
Windows 10 PRO NA 64 bit

#6 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 05 June 2016 - 04:04 AM

Honestly, you got 90% of it already. CF is just adding the "golf" parts on top.

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#7 clubcaptain

clubcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 11:27 AM

Here's my first heightmap I created in Photoshop and applied some of my own textures to it.

heightmap1_zpsomrtpod8.jpg

• Kablammo11 and RobC like this

PC specs...

Asus PRIME Z390-P 
Windows 10 PRO NA 64 bit

#8 Mulligan

Mulligan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • LocationVirtual Private Network

Posted 11 June 2016 - 01:10 PM

Is Photo$hop necessary to create assets for CF or would Gimp be good enough?

#9 RobC

RobC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  • LocationSouthampton England

Posted 11 June 2016 - 01:12 PM

Gimp would be fine and Paint.NET

#10 johnmeyer

johnmeyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 03:04 PM

Photoshop CS2 is free if you want it. bit old now but does support .raw for heightmaps. 

OGT Simulator Tour Admin

#11 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 02:50 PM

Is a textured and planted terrain usable in CF or can you only use a heightmap?

I'm thinking of using something I'm working on as a personal course to start with.

The terrain will be shaped, textured, and mostly planted. I've left open areas for the hole routing.

When CF is released, do I have to replant and retexture the "non-golf areas" or do they remain and I just start shaping and placing the tees/fairways/bunkers etc..?

I know the textures might not match what CF might have, but this would just be a course to practice getting used to CF.

#12 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 14 June 2016 - 03:15 PM

You can use your textured and planted terrain.

You will be able to draw the CF splines where you like

as they will go on top of your terrain texture. 

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#13 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 03:16 PM

Great news. Thanks NoPutt

#14 johnmeyer

johnmeyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 04:07 PM

Quick follow up to the above, when you overlay the CF "Mesh", do you have to re-texture it, or will the textures applied to the already created terrain "show through". Just thinking if its worth texturing all my fairways, greens etc in my unity version, if im gonna have to reapply them all again to the CF Mesh.. if that is indeed how CF works?

EDIT

When thinking about it again, is it indeed a mesh or just a allocated area as such

OGT Simulator Tour Admin

#15 clubcaptain

clubcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 08:39 PM

John, forgive me for asking, but how are you laying down fairways, greens etc in Unity 5 alone. All I have done is put down a fairway texture on top of the basic texture is just a rough shape just to give an impression that something other than the base texture and terrain is there. By no means is it any kind of accurate shape and I never thought that this approach would transfer into CF.

I was working on the understanding that all the terrains had to be drawn and shaped in CF only.

PC specs...

Asus PRIME Z390-P 
Windows 10 PRO NA 64 bit

#16 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 14 June 2016 - 08:53 PM

CF will come with default textures and matching terrain, but with the CF library

it's possible to add your on or modify the defaults if you wish.

CF meshes will only work on 1 terrain, however a second terrain

can be added for panoramas and objects in the distance.

The terrains being sculpted without CF can certainly be

used when CF becomes available to all.

John, Splines are drawn and are calculated to include the texture that sits only .15 above the Unity terrain

and have a very slight bend on the outer rough where the Terrain and mesh meet. 

#17 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 14 June 2016 - 09:12 PM

Quick follow up to the above, when you overlay the CF "Mesh", do you have to re-texture it, or will the textures applied to the already created terrain "show through". Just thinking if its worth texturing all my fairways, greens etc in my unity version, if im gonna have to reapply them all again to the CF Mesh.. if that is indeed how CF works?

EDIT

When thinking about it again, is it indeed a mesh or just a allocated area as such

Textures aren't painted on for fairways/greens etc. in CF as they are for the Unity terrain. They are simply selected and applied to the whole mesh and tiled across it. You can create some variation in colour though by using a second texture as a colour map for the first, covering a much larger area than your main detail texture.

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#18 johnmeyer

johnmeyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 09:50 PM

Cheers for the info guys, much appreciated and got a much better idea of how things will work.

Clubcaptain, in terms of laying down the fairway shape etc, I have a terrain, heightmap from LIDAR, and overhead satellite image of the course im recreating and am just "painting in" the textures to match the shapes, much like youve done on yours. They match them pretty damn closely although as you say not 100% accurate. Im then adding the trees, bushes etc in the right places etc. 

As to whether any of it will actually be usable come CF release, time will tell, but its pretty cool to be able to walk round my virtual version course Ive played dozens of times using the third person controller.. "Ethan" has been round more times than i have I think :)  Its  all just to ensure im familiar with unity really, Im more of a learn by doing kind of guy so thought this would be the best way to at the very least get used to the basics of unity. Once its done ill do a build and post a link to the .exe :)

• RobC likes this

OGT Simulator Tour Admin

#19 clubcaptain

clubcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 12:04 AM

Gotch a and thanks

PC specs...

Asus PRIME Z390-P 
Windows 10 PRO NA 64 bit

#20 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 01:21 AM

For the life of me, I cannot find the exact post by K11 in the forum on the Layers Library and how custom textures are laid down on the meshes but he put together a great explanation for how it is/will be done in CF. I imagine it is in his 115 page Show and Tell. I have a bookmark to the video. I am guessing there is no harm in posting the link but I will remove it if I am told to do so. https://vimeo.com/159918304

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users